Crossmen run-through video

From what I could see / hear...

Snare sound dirty as sin.

Can't hear the tenors.

Horn attacks are sloppy.

Guard is not together.

But on the other hand...

Drill looks surprising fluid for this corps.

Hornline IS throwing down some nice licks.

Basses are playing.

Pit is really throwing down some nice stuff.

As a long time Xmen fan,

(and even though amps burn at the fabric of my soul),

I was actually able to appreciate the radio section.

It just so VK-esque. When this show cleans up, it will easily be one of my favorites! And I'm just so happy to see that the Bones will be back for business this year,

The guard was learning their closer that day. I'm sure they will start to clean once the book is finished.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome. Sorry about the low angle. They were on a practice field with no real stands to speak of and a small box with two levels. I was in the middle level and the top level was packed with Crossmen staff. I have no affiation with the corps, I was just a guy watching the rehearsal. I didn't want to go elbowing staff out of the way to mount my camera. I've learned from my mid 90s Crown days to avoid elbowing Crossmen.

I really enjoyed the show. Some parts remind me of early 90s Crossmen, so to me they sound like: Crossmen. I personally hate amped vocals in drum corps AND marching band. I do have to say, this show is the first one I've heard where the narration actually works. The vocals are an integral part of that number. I like the contrast into the hiphop section and the quick switch out of it. The spanish section cracked me up as well. I actually thought it was odd that there wasn't MORE narration in the opener and the closer to continue the radio theme. It's early season, so there's no telling what'll change.

I have no idea where they'll end up at the end of this season. This run-through was the first live drum corps show I've seen since 2000 Finals. I miss the G sop sound, but I don't hate the Bb/F sound like I thought I would.

Oh and, for those of you that remember the name: I'm back.

Thanks for posting those clips. I live 3 minutes from where they were practicing. I didn't get a chance to go back to catch the run through, so this is my first viewing of them. I had hoped the show would have gone on Monday night. Oh well, hope DCI East is DRY! :sshh:

Didn't read all the posts...but WYEA! radio? :spit:

Crossmen...you may be on to something here...how cool would it be to take on the VK role in DCI! The niche needs to be filled.

Just don't drink to much "YEA! Kool-Aid" and don't let them shave your heads!

I didn't read all the posts either. But just wondering, why is this topic still open? I thought we weren't supposed to post vids or links to vids of shows. Oh well.

I was mad when they stopped playing Marriage of Figaro. I wanted them to keep going!

The video is from a practice not a competition (actually first runthough). The owner has the rights to it I think. not DCI and they aren''t even in uniform.

Didn't read all the posts...but WYEA! radio? :spit:

Crossmen...you may be on to something here...how cool would it be to take on the VK role in DCI! The niche needs to be filled.

Just don't drink to much "YEA! Kool-Aid" and don't let them shave your heads!

First came the Bridgemen...Then the Velvet Knights.....And now possibly....the CROSSMEN!!!!

I would love to have another "fun" corps...DCI needs it badly.

The show is awesome, loved the radio section. Hornline sounds like the line I fell in love with from the past.

Thanks for posting this.

As an anti-amp person, I'll buy that argument. :)

Crossmen have at least found a interesting use for it....one that adds "color", but isn't the whole kit n' kaboodle of the show design.

That's a big difference to me ("My Humps" excluded. :P ).

Gotta agree here. I actually enjoyed that part of their show and found that to be a very effective use of the amps (unlike a certain brethern of Bones and their amplified disaster).

Gotta agree here. I actually enjoyed that part of their show and found that to be a very effective use of the amps (unlike a certain brethern of Bones and their amplified disaster).

"Disaster" is an understatement. Catastrophe. Tragedy. Cataclysm. Debacle. That's more like it. I could go on...