Westminster Review

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Cadet's show in Powder Springs and have to admit that I was totally distracted by all of the antics on the field. I thought the "Red Queen" was going to pop out of the top of her outfit any minute.

From another forum in another universe:

person A: Thank God I am not alone about the Cadets show. The queen looked like a cheap hooker to me. Did I just go over the top there?

person B: No, but she almost did on more than one occasion!

Quite funny!!!!

considering that "cheap hooker" is someone's kid - I say you did go over the top

she's a wonderful performer

And that's sad -- she should have refused to wear it! I don't care what the corps' "artistic director" (and I use that term loosely) thought it does, she looks like a low-rent Pussycat Doll who bought her costume in the demonic dominatrix section at Frederick's of Hollywood! Nobody should be asked to wear something like that in a "youth activity". It's embarrassing for her and the audience! And you know, I'm not a prude, this is just over the top and does nothing to advance the story of Alice in Wonderland in the show, or the activity. It's just trashy, and not that poor girl's fault. And don't get me started on that cat -- err, rabbit? -- costume...

snip<<she looks like a low-rent Pussycat Doll who bought her costume in the demonic dominatrix section at Frederick's of Hollywood!>>snip

. . . and please people – keep her and Phantom's male guard members as far away from each other as possible! The sight of them together might really give people the wrong idea! :wall:

And that's sad -- she should have refused to wear it! I don't care what the corps' "artistic director" (and I use that term loosely) thought it does, she looks like a low-rent Pussycat Doll who bought her costume in the demonic dominatrix section at Frederick's of Hollywood! Nobody should be asked to wear something like that in a "youth activity". It's embarrassing for her and the audience!

maybe she likes it though... don't just assume she doesnt.

maybe she likes it though... don't just assume she doesnt.

From this picture, it does appear that she's enjoying herself. Does that mean she likes the costume? Maybe. Or it could just mean that she enjoys performing, regardless of what kind of costume somebody has stuck her in. Does that mean it's flattering, appropriate to the story line, or pleasing to most audiences (at least from the comments on the thread the photo was originally posted in)? There are some who probably really like it, but those types might do well to keep in mind that this is "somebody's kid", as George pointed out!

In any case, to me it's a lousy and tasteless representation of the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland. Strictly my opinion, of course, and when I said it was embarassing for her, I didn't mean to assume she didn't like it it; I just meant it was something that has the potential to cause embarassment for her (in future years even if it doesn't bother her right now!).

And that's sad -- she should have refused to wear it! I don't care what the corps' "artistic director" (and I use that term loosely) thought it does, she looks like a low-rent Pussycat Doll who bought her costume in the demonic dominatrix section at Frederick's of Hollywood! Nobody should be asked to wear something like that in a "youth activity". It's embarrassing for her and the audience! And you know, I'm not a prude, this is just over the top and does nothing to advance the story of Alice in Wonderland in the show, or the activity. It's just trashy, and not that poor girl's fault. And don't get me started on that cat -- err, rabbit? -- costume...

No one is asking YOU to wear it. She seems to like it - raves about the experience in this year's cadets on their video blog - and I saw her after last night's performance and she was beaming from ear-to-ear.

The corps is marching, playing and spinning its hearts out - and this is what you are focused on? :(

No one is asking YOU to wear it. She seems to like it - raves about the experience in this year's cadets on their video blog - and I saw her after last night's performance and she was beaming from ear-to-ear.

The corps is marching, playing and spinning its hearts out - and this is what you are focused on? :(

It's weird, and I've said it before (along with the reviewer who started this thread): yes, unfortunately all I could focus on was the costumed characters. The only thing that distracted me briefly was the battery marching in a block toward the backfield and their notes fading away; that was a great moment and did catch my attention. But honestly, that was the only time I wasn't watching the weirdness getting in the way of the corps. I will see them again at Indy and am determined to make a surperhuman effort to ignore the fluff and watch everything else so I can get a read on the rest of the production!

Please don't think I'm a Cadets hater! I've said it before and I'll say it again: last year's Cadets show was my favorite drum corps show EVER. Maybe that's why I'm as disappointed in this year's show as I am. I didn't go into this season thinking I'd hate the Cadets show, I went into it excited. I'd read and heard several bad reviews from friends before I saw the show for the first time last year, and I loved it from the first viewing regardless of what I'd read earlier. This year's show has taken a very different turn, and the focus is too removed from everybody but those five characters/actors/singers/dancers. That's unfortunate for the other 130 members, in my opinion.

I wondered about the black dress too. I looked up the song and I think there's some symbolism going on here, as the name of the song is Sanvean (I am your Shadow), so I'm thinking that she is the shadow (of Alice.)

Okay, that might explain it! Thanks for looking into it.