Michigan City, IN - 7/1/06

I can't believe nobody has posted a review.. maybe they all stayed in beautiful Michigan City after the show -- we bugged out about midnight and got home a little after 1.. but what a great night for a show.

The 92 degree with humidity day that was forecast was considerably less horrible than expected with breezes (though judging from some of the colorguard issues we saw last night, that was a gale force wind) and occasional cloud cover. I only needed my umbrella for a little while and that was to shield me from the sun!

First and foremost, I really have to say that I now understand why the Cavaliers have one of their "home shows" in this stadium. What a venue!! Gorgeous old brick stadium that's in fantastic shape. The field is lush and green.. I don't think there's a bad seat in the house -- though I wouldn't know because we actually had THE best seats in the entire place.. ON the 50 in the top row (Thanks again, Craig!). We had better seats than the Old Man! Ushers did a fantastic job of keeping people from going up and down the stairs during shows and the crowd is familiar with drum corps show etiquette. Very impressive..

Now before I launch into this, I know I don't need to remind you, but I will anyway. Mike and I are both Cavalier fans. I have also been reviewing shows for Drum Corps World since 1993.. not that it means anything, but there you go. This isn't intended as a "professional viewpoint" -- it's my first show of the season and I had a lot of surprising reactions to things I saw and heard.

The first corps we saw tonight was the Cavalier Classics. About 30 guys spanning the entire 50-something year history of the corps. The announcer pointed out one guy in particular who was actually in the 1948 Cavaliers. STILL PLAYING.. (and doing quite well, as we heard later. He doesn't lay out for any of their show). Of course Mike just sat there grinning and playing along with the drum parts he knew -- this group has obviously taken the time to make sure what they put on the field doesn't suck. The crowd loved them. They played Bully, Battle Hymn of the Republic (from 1969) and the 75 drum solo -- yeah.. on sling carried snares using mylar heads. It was VERY cool. Joe Balzer had just come in and learned all the music that day -- so we noticed his music taped to his drum but were assured later by the Great Paul Milano that he really knew it, he just wanted it there for backup. We also got to hang around with a bunch of the guys after the show in the parking lot for a little while before we left. It's true that Cavaliers are the same in any generation. Really.

Next up, we had an exhibition from the Michigan City Wolf Pack Marching Band.. which was nice. It's good to see them involved in the summer festivities -- and I know they stayed and watched the show so obviously they are fans.

The Kilties were the first corps in competition and other than Dan Scerpella's FRACK in the opener (love ya, Dan but you know I gotta bust your you-know-whats) ALL of the soloists had a banner night! The show is coming along really nicely. It looks like there's been some drill changes and once they get cleaned up I think they'll have a respectable season. The corps is having a good time and all things considered, I really enjoy the show. Even the famous high F finally came out clear as a bell at the end -- not sure THAT'S ever going to happen again.. but I'm glad to say I was there the one and only time I ever heard it happen.

Revolution, in their second year back from inactivity are back on the building road. The show is a little esoteric -- and we got a good laugh out of their opener, whose title when translated from Transylvanian (or whatever Eastern Bloc language it's supposed to be) means "The Flute Plays," especially with the guy in front of us who was a clarinetist and admitted it to us! -- and maybe it's a little over their heads right now. They play the music but it doesn't seem like they feel it yet. I trust that will change but it needs to change fast. The drill was a little bit elementary -- again, as I said, they are on the building road. Young corps.. young members.. it's definitely a challenge for them. Their placement for the night was pretty clear by the time they finished, though.

Memphis Sound -- this was the first corps of the night I really wanted to see again. Their show is based on the color blue -- Blues music, Blue in the title of the songs, Blue Moods.. I remarked early that the first corps to put Blue Monday on the field was going to get my vote for champion of the world.. but they didn't do it. What they DID do was get their hats blown off all over the place.. remember what I said about the gale force winds? For me, that was only momentarily distracting though because the guard was completely phenomenal. Their choreography was mature and well performed.. they dance great! And they looked like they were having the time of their lives. The corps was surprisingly LOUD and with good quality. Mike commented that their snare line was "on" tonight.. they were really good. I thought their whole drumline was fantastic.. lots of drummer attitude in that solo section and you know I just eat that right up. They ran out of gas for the closer a little bit .. but for crying out loud, this is an energetic and fast paced show and it's .. JULY 1. I have no doubt that they will be contending (or at least I think they should be) in Madison.

Blue Stars were the last corps before the break and HOLY SCHMOLIES! They were big -- I'm quick and I noticed that right away.. but then.. they did this thing with their horns -- I like to call it blowing me into the row behind me, except there was a brick wall behind me so I just sat there, pinned to the wall grinning like a moron. They play like a corps that's been doing this for a while -- wait, I guess they have. What a surprise. I sort of expected to prove all the other reviewers wrong about this corps but I SO enjoyed this show. The second corps of the night I can't wait to see again. Their guard was awesome -- I mean really awesome. I mentioned to Mike that this show reminds me of the Colts when they did their Americana show -- which I also loved, but admittedly, it never got to where it could have.. and Blue Stars are already at that point.. with lots of opportunity for cleaning and tweaking left in the season. I hate to admit this but I think they COULD be a dark horse coming into Semis.. there are some corps out there who could really get surprised by this corps. There's so much more I wanted to say about this corps but what happens when I start thinking about it is all the things I loved rush to the front of my mind and I can't get a single coherent thought out of all of it -- that's how excited I am about it -- so we'll review it again after Madison tonight.

Pioneer was first on after the intermission -- and I don't know if it was because of the lines in concession and bathrooms but there were a lot of empty seats when they started. The people sitting in front of us told us they had seen them in just about every show they've been to. They had such nice things to say about the organization.. and the kids.. but they made this face when they talked about the show.. and now I know why. I know for a fact that those kids are completely committed to the program.. and that they give 175% of themselves when they perform it.. but it's hard to get through. The opener seems to go on forever.. and like Mike says, coming on after Blue Stars, it seems like they never get past a mezzo-piano.. maybe that's by design maybe not.. but he's right. I had to catch myself a couple of times when I'd prop my chin in my hand and make the face.. I'd get nudged and realize I was doing it. I want to CHEER and throw babies for those kids because when you see their faces, they BELIEVE in what they're doing.. but it just isn't there. I don't know if I can get through this show again.. I may, because I have kids I know and love in the corps.. but it's gonna be tough. The show is drawn out.. one theme (musically) is about 3/4 of the show and there just isn't much dynamic interest. The drill is somewhat uninspired, IMO -- it reminds me of the way we used to have to construct drill for a 15 member DIII corps I once worked with.. we called it "variations on a line" -- that's unfortunate but it's the way I viewed it. The biggest crowd reaction was for Gary Owen as they trouped the stands. Come on, Pio Staff.. give those kids something to inspire the audience with. THEY have the goods.. but you're not giving them anything to work with!!

Okay.. enough of that.. Capital Regiment was next.. I was taken aback by the new uniform.. gone are the three horizontal stripes on the left breast, replaced with completely white half jacket -- honestly it reminded me a lot of Blue Devils B -- The guard were wearing what I presume were intended to be "suits" -- but they're in a blue color that is not so complimentary to the blue of the corps uniforms and for me, I found it distracting.. One thing I really LIKE about this corps -- especially since they used this idea pretty well last year -- is their ability to convey transitions of time.. light.. whatever it is.. the way they tell it on the field reaches the audience. It was like the show was about "a day in the life" -- going from work day.. to rest.. to play.. The hornline is another one that set me back against that wall a few times.. really big open sound.. I don't recall much about the music they played.. but I know I wasn't being driven to the concession stand in my mind. Mike was particularly fond of the closer where the corps is in "play" mode.. they fool around and jump on each other's backs and look generally like they're just having a grand old time.. he says seeing that makes him miss Bridgemen and VK all the more (and before all you Surf and Impulse guys jump on him, he hasn't ever seen you -- he's been out of the loop for a while).

Bluecoats -- HOLY CRAP!! I REALLY like this show.. third on the list of the corps I can't wait to see again. I don't remember much about the music itself -- other than that I was having a great time watching and listening. They are CLEAN as a whip.. and the show seems complete as it stands right now. That's great for me and everybody in the stands.. what concerns me is that it's July. July 1st. There's more than a month left and I don't know where they'll be able to go. You can maintain a level of clean and intensity for a while.. but at some point (see also, SCV's La Mer show), your eyes go dead and you're just going through the motions. That's my fear for this corps. The guard is spectacular.. they're staged exactly right at every moment and they will knock your socks of -- truly. Mike especially liked the flags that had the stretchy material attached at top and bottom.. so when the guard pulled them out they looked like a bow and arrow.. he also expressed his displeasure about the drumline's 4th movement tacit. The WHOLE THING. Backfield. Facing away. Not playing. Hm. :wall: That's what he looked like. He realized he's going to get wailed on from beyond the grave by all the bluecoats fans around here, but he says it's just his drummer's opinion. Overall, I absolutely LOVE the show.. love the corps.. love the horns.. love the drumline.. love the guard. I am worried because they are so clean. I hope they find a way to keep it up.

Cavaliers. Here's my review that you expect: blah blah blah the cavaliers rule blah blah nobody does visual better blah blah blah blah musical blah blah you losers who think they have no melody in their show don't know your head from a hole in the wall :blah:

Now, here's the real review:

This was the first time I've seen the "complete" show -- and I found out later that it's not the "real" complete show. It's finished.. there is a beginning and an end... the guard work is complete.. but the "real" ending -- as I learned -- is slated to go in in the coming days. That doesn't mean they haven't been learning it.. it only means they aren't performing it. SO. With that in mind.. I now understand why people say the show ends abruptly. I didn't find that to be the case.. because I recognized that the show was ready to be over.. and the ending they have on there right now does make sense.. but I know it's not a "cavalier ending" -- nothing flashy.. nothing that will make me go HOLY #### THEY JUST DESTROYED JUPITER WITH THAT MOVE.. but I have faith that it's coming. There are some really cool visuals -- and if I could stop all the thoughts from rushing to the front of my head (like they do with Blue Stars), I would enumerate them all for you.. so you'll have to take it this way.. don't blink. Just don't. I really tried hard to find a section of this show where I thought melody was lacking -- and I didn't. I tried... and guys, I recognize a melody.. I sing soprano, we ALWAYS have the melody.. it was all over the place.. and I am still humming stuff in my head. SO to each his own.. but this show is rife with melody and musicality.. and the hornline plays it all with finesse and beauty. I had goosepimples on a number of occasions (especially in that ballad.. holy schneikes).. Later in the evening, during encore, I called a friend so he could listen to the show.. he's a horn player and was also Cavaliers' backfield conductor in 86.. after the show was finished, I put the phone back to my ear and said, "what'd you think?" His first comment was "JESUS those drums don't stop playing!! They are playing a BOOK!" He doesn't read DCP and he doesn't follow scores on DCI.org -- so he doesn't know about the flack the drumline has been taking.. or about the scores over the season. I have to believe for someone uninitiated to this happy little world of ours to bring that thing to the forefront in a conversation has some meaning.

The show has a LOT of cleaning left to be done. There's a new ending coming. What does that tell you? I know what it tells me.

An aside at the end of the show.. for those of you who are complaining that amps malfunctioning should cause a deduction from a show.. I didn't realize this until the end of Capital Regiment's show when someone sitting near us mentioned it, but there was some sort of a problem with either the power supply or who knows.. but NOBODY'S amps worked consistently tonight. In some cases, we could hear effects, just not very loudly (as the typewriter and spin whistle in Cavaliers' show), or the vocalists who were completely silenced.. in other cases, some were heard and some weren't (bluecoats steel drums and "blowing"), but the shows were not especially diminished.. and I felt like, "oh... they had vocalists? where? where would that have been missing?" -- so I can totally see why a corps show would NOT receive penalty for amp malfunction.. the show is not dependent on the amped sound.. the amped sound is just an effect and can be done with or without.

Also.. and this is a BIG one.. before we go repealing amplification, we have a more dire and immediate situation at hand.

We MUST repeal the use of that god-awful encore song. Fanfare of who? Bring back America/O Canada PLEASE.. Play Happy Birthday or Pop Goes the Weasel.. anything but this. I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a blunt object. It never went above mezzo forte and it just drrrrraaaaagggggggssssss.. Please someone, save us from this scourge. <**>

Well.. that's it. We'll be at Madison tonight and Cedarburg tomorrow so you'll get the Stef and Z show again tomorrow and Tuesday.

have a great and safe holiday!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome review! while I found all your critiques to be dead on, I agree even more so with your review of BC and Cav's. I noticed the spread was bigger tonight...perhaps that's due to it being Cav's home show...or maybe BC has just "out-cleaned" themselves. If the latter is the case, baaaaaaad times ahead. :(

*SNIP*

but the "real" ending -- as I learned -- is slated to go in in the coming days. That doesn't mean they haven't been learning it.. it only means they aren't performing it. SO. With that in mind.. I now understand why people say the show ends abruptly. I didn't find that to be the case.. because I recognized that the show was ready to be over.. and the ending they have on there right now does make sense.. but I know it's not a "cavalier ending" -- nothing flashy.. nothing that will make me go HOLY #### THEY JUST DESTROYED JUPITER WITH THAT MOVE.. but I have faith that it's coming.

*SNIP*

The show has a LOT of cleaning left to be done. There's a new ending coming. What does that tell you?

It tells me that I hope they don't get rid of the 8 measures where motives from the first three movements are superimposed on one another...that's great stuff

First off, excellent review Scribetoo. Felt like I was there.

I really appreciate your Bluecoats review as well. Glad you like the show. I don't think they are all that clean yet, and there is much more to come with their show. They have what we call the "first season ending." So as Cavaliers change some things, so will Bluecoats. Having seen both corps, I will admit that it would be tough for Bluecoats to catch the Cavaliers. I just want them to stay close, because in the end you never know what can happen.

awesome review! while I found all your critiques to be dead on, I agree even more so with your review of BC and Cav's. I noticed the spread was bigger tonight...perhaps that's due to it being Cav's home show...or maybe BC has just "out-cleaned" themselves. If the latter is the case, baaaaaaad times ahead. :(

There are NO BAD TIMES ahead for the Bluecoats. The show is not clean and has a long way to go, and I can tell you that they have plenty of changes coming.

Oh, and by the way, it is not BC. It's Blue, or Blooo, or 'Coats, or just good ole Bluecoats, but BC would indicate two words, and Bluecoats is one word.

Cavaliers staff knows how to change things without tossing the baby with the bathwater, so I'd imagine the multi-reprise would stay unless they come up with something that's even better.

Last night was first time I've seen Bluecoats and Cavaliers since the Fathers Day show. IMHO, Bluecoats are performing extremely well. BUT...the basic material is pleasant and professional, but not particularly compelling. That being the case, I'd see them peaking in early Aug with nowhere to go when the three big dogs are starting to rev into high gear.

Cavaliers show is, creatively, on an entirely different plane. They have a simple concept that is being exploited very effectively both individually and in ensemble effects. They're having fun with it, they're performing well, and it's connecting with the audience. The creative process in a show like this is such that adding one thing invariably opens the doors for other possible adds - the show is already moving in a direction that emphasizes wit and cool, 2 things that work to make a drum corps very popular with the fan base. I actually thought the spread between the two corps last night should have been on the range of 3-4 points; the difference in terms of actual GE was that noticeable.

IMHO, Bluecoats are performing extremely well. BUT...the basic material is pleasant and professional, but not particularly compelling. That being the case, I'd see them peaking in early Aug with nowhere to go when the three big dogs are starting to rev into high gear.

I agree completely with this statement. There's no doubt that BC has created a quality product, they've just created a quality product that they won't be able to go very far with without changing the WHOLE show...a new "ending" won't do it for these guys. :(

nothing that will make me go HOLY #### THEY JUST DESTROYED JUPITER WITH THAT MOVE.. but I have faith that it's coming.

Best.

Quote.

Ever.

I agree completely with this statement. There's no doubt that BC has created a quality product, they've just created a quality product that they won't be able to go very far with without changing the WHOLE show...a new "ending" won't do it for these guys. :(

yeah, but they're still having an awesome season...they still have the potential, imo, of topping last season's finish

Regardless, they're proving that last season was no fluke

Edited by JMS0527

yeah, but they're still having an awesome season...they still have the potential, imo, of topping last season's finish

Regardless, they're proving that last season was no fluke

I guess the next 5-6 weeks will bear that out.