I'm sure there is no one in DCA who is even coming close to this.

...and you'd surely be wrong.

Take it easy there, Robby. Consider only the top few corps for a second. I've seen Bush (at Dover) and while I *really* like the show, you are not in your own league, at least not as far as demand is concerned. The Buccaneers (who I saw at Wildwood) have just as demanding a show as Bush does. The Caballeros show is no joke either. Thier drumline especially has some crazy drill while they play, and while they have dialed down the overall drill demand a notch or two as compared to the last two years, it's now achievable.

This reminds me of a band director of a band I was judging last fall...he told me (I was a music judge) that "We have the most demanding book in our group". I was nice and only replied "Seen everyone in the group, have you? Impressive, since this is only week one".

Remember, demand alone won't get you much of anything. Clean it up, make it exciting, and you'll have something. This is DCA...where the "complete package" rules the day.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, demand alone won't get you much of anything. Clean it up, make it exciting, and you'll have something. This is DCA...where the "complete package" rules the day.

Especially since "demand" is no longer recognized in any of the DCA captions. In this day and age, it almost doesn't matter what you play as long as you play it clean. Ask any of the top drumlines who seldomly play flams. I'm not taking a shot at them. In fact, quite the opposite. Their staffs have realized this fact and are designing shows to meet the needs of the judges. They should be commended for that.

That having been said, it doesn't mean that I LIKE it.

Especially since "demand" is no longer recognized in any of the DCA captions. In this day and age, it almost doesn't matter what you play as long as you play it clean. Ask any of the top drumlines who seldomly play flams. I'm not taking a shot at them. In fact, quite the opposite. Their staffs have realized this fact and are designing shows to meet the needs of the judges. They should be commended for that.

While you are correct and the word "demand" doesn't appear on any sheet, it's still a factor. It's just not the overwhelming factor. A corps that performs a difficult show well will outscore a corps that performs a slightly less difficult to the same degree.

The fun begins when you have to decide if a corps with a harder show but not sqeaky clean should score higher then a corps with an easy show done very cleanly.

The bottom line is that you CAN score well if you perform a very difficult show that is clean and effective. The Buccaneers last year were a perfect example of that. Does that mean you have to design an really hard show to win? Of course not, and that shouldn't be the main criteria. You can bet that if last year's Bucs hadn't been clean and effective, they would not have won (see Bucs 2004).

Each corps has to find the happy medium that works for them.

Edited by Kamarag

The fun begins when you have to decide if a corps with a harder show but not sqeaky clean should score higher then a corps with an easy show done very cleanly.

That's a good question, which is the major issue I have with how the sheets read. There should something within the captions to determine this. No disrespect to the corps that have been winning so far this year, but since you have some of the finest musicians in the activity, I'd like to see something a little more demanding out of you. That should be what gives you the edge to victory. If a corps is performing a harder book, maybe not as cleanly, they shouldn't be 15 points behind. I'm not necessarily speaking of my corps either. Idealistically, this is how I'd like to see the corps scored...

Large corps performing a difficult show with a high level of achievment.

Medium size corps performing a difficult show with a high level of achievment.

Small corps performing a difficult show with a high level of achievment.

Large corps performing an average difficulty show at a medium level of execution.

Medium size corps performing an average difficulty show at a medium level of execution.

Small corps performing an average difficulty show at a medium level of execution.

Large corps performing a simple show with a low level of execution.

Medium size corps performing a simple show with a low level of execution.

Small corps performing a simple show with a low level of execution.

That would reward corps for getting a larger group to perform well together and would encourage corps to attempt more demanding shows and perform them well, rather than allowing them to take the easy way out by performing more simple shows at a high level of accuracy. It would also allow smaller corps who attempt more demanding shows and achieve them to outscore larger groups.

I know... keep dreaming...

does anyone have pics from the show?

http://flickr.com/photos/ramd/

Okay John and Sayre...

I greatly appreciate the thoughtful points both of you have made, and made well. It would be very interesting to read answers from each of you to the following question (this is a 20 point bonus question!):

If we can agree that DCA drum corps is, among many other things, an entertainment medium (and I think that's a fair and reasonable assumption), to what degree does "difficulty" or "demand" affect the entertainment value of a corps?

You could take one side to discuss difficulty in terms of it being a part of a corps' overall effectiveness or approach the question from the standpoint of the crowd, which reacts more to showmanship and/or familiarity with the corps' repertoire. Or go in another direction.

It's good reading and I thank you both for your comments!

Edited by K2SMA

here's the thing everyone needs to keep in mind....and trust me, outside of DCW i rarely give PC reviews......

it was June when the show happened. relax, and dont get all freaked cause someone has what they feel is a criticism. their minds can change by finals as shows get cleaned and performed better..

this is why many people dont give reviews...you say one thing about a corps someone does like, and it's attack city. chill and relax, you cant please everyone all the time.