Thanks for the review!

All in all, it was a good show from all the performers standpoints. I don't know how long it usually takes to calculate the scores, but I seriously hope that in the future any group taking the stage to fill up that void doesn't take as long as the Alumni group did (Not to say they didn't put on a good show, because they sure did) just I felt it was WAY to long.

Edited by CrossmenBaritone

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all, it was a good show from all the performers standpoints. I don't know how long it usually takes to calculate the scores, but I seriously hope that in the future any group taking the stage to fill up that void doesn't take as long as the Alumni group did (Not to say they didn't put on a good show, because they sure did) just I felt it was WAY to long.

Seemed to be just right for the number of competing corps that night. Although I wouldn't have minded them playing a little longer :lol:

WhatupSkyalumni??? No Traffic Jam??

good review mikey

"Carolina Gold (35B, 21G, 7Sn, 5Ba, 4Q, 2Cym, 5Pit, 3DM, 77 total): I feel for any corps that has to follow Hawthorne. Gold, tho, considering the parade, the 5am arrival, and long hot rehearsal, did well to follow the Cabs. Tower of Power is their theme for 2006 and those of you who are fans will love it. I'm not a big TOP fan, but was still very entertained by the show. The horn line sold the show and entertained well. I did notice some attack and release issues throughout, but that will come, and was certainly passable for their first performance. Drill isn't done, and the corps ran out of gas in a big way about 1/2 way through the show. I do understand people have been sick and the "3 block" parade (Lou Marshello must have told them the distance) drained you, so its understandable. I can't wait to hear this show when the whole hornline has its oats and the endurance is at September levels. Pit soloists were definately on fire, and played well. Handled all the stuff thrown their way with ease. But go march guys. (ducks)"

Mike,

Thanks for your review of Gold. Your observations are correct...it was a long day, with included a parade, followed by a very long walk from the buses to the performance field. No need to "duck" we are well aware of our need to practice marching...we did just that over the past few days in Maryland. Hope you will be in Clifton on July 15, so we can meet, stop by the souvie stand and ask for me, they always know where I am.

Looking forward to future reviews.

Edited by GuardOdyssey

Carolina Gold

35brass; 7s;4tenors;5bd;4 pit; 18cg.

"This is a mid-size corps with a lot of talent and punch. Their show seemed to suit their 35 brass and they held their own after the Cabs 50 horn onslaught. Witth screaming sopranos (trumpets?), a color gaurd perched on step ladders and an aggressive drumline, who could ask for more? I do have to note that their battery plays a difficult feature which had some execution problems. While the show was good, the "funk" was a little stiff. Still, this corps has great potential for this season.

The audience seemed to enjoy the Gold and I did too. "

pearlsnaredrummer77...thanks for your review.

Gold still has sopranos...

Thanks for noting the difficulty of the corps battery feature. Hope you are able to view us over the next few months as that feature will be impressive both musically and visually.

Funk vs. Stiff...we are working on that. Gold's average age is 20, many members coming from high school and college bands which have a more regimented style, we'll get them groovin' soon.

Look forward to future reviews over the next few months.

Edited by GuardOdyssey

Carolina Gold

"Monster Off A Leash, The Music of Tower of Power"

"Carolina Gold two strong acts to follow and they did a pretty good job. Halfway through the show I felt the corps really ran out of steam and was struggling to make it to the end. (I read in earlier posts you had a killer parade and practice session but I was not aware of that the evening of the show.) I'm glad you held it together though. I enjoy the music of TOP and once the show gets cleaned up and the endurance issues are not a factor I think things will take off for you. I am not into soloists that stand of the sidelines and play on and of for the entire show. I would have much rathered that you were incorporated into the show. Both soloists easily overpowered the rest of the corps by the end, especially in the last chord partly because they were positioned close to the sideline and also because the rest of the corps was fatigued. I look forward to your progress over the season and I hope you keep working hard. I look forward to seeing your impovements by September! Have a great season!"

Jenni,

Thanks for your review of Gold's performance this past weekend in Dover. Fatigue, was a factor in our performance on Saturday...also had first performance jitters from many of our young members. Believe you'll see more strength on the field over the course of the season.

Best wishes with the arrival your first baby.

Edited by GuardOdyssey

Jenni,

Thanks for your review of Gold's performance this past weekend in Dover. Fatigue, was a factor in our performance on Saturday...also had first performance jitters from many of our young members. Believe you'll see more strength on the field over the course of the season.

Best wishes with the arrival your first baby.

I really enjoyed seeing all the corps perform on Saturday. I haven't seen Carolina Gold much and it was great to have a chance to. It's also quite a trip to come all the way up north to perform! I look forward to seeing your corps progress over the season. Once again, lots of luck to everyone.

Thanks for the well wishes for my first baby! :)

Nice review Jenni.

Disappointed that whenever a section was doing anything technical, they stopped to do it. Please, show me some movement while playing. Its easy to move and play quarters and eighths, but do some of that stuff moving.

I want to preface this and say that I admire that you state your opinion without regard to being politically correct. It kind of makes me sick to read all those fluffy reviews where every corp is wonderful. And I am thankful that you took the time to write a review. With that said, I too will respond without regard to being pc. I have to first say you are highly inaccurate with regard to the above quote. First off, it's the Bushwackers who 'wrote the book' in DCA on challenging drill with demanding music. With regard to the 2006 Bushwackers' brass, it's ridiculous to say that whenever we do anything technical we stop. I'm guessing you are referring to the features in the opener. Thanks for the complement, but those 'technical' features are just as easy to play moving or standing still, at least for me. Throughout the opener and even more so in the closer of Rocky Point Holiday, our hornline 'shows you some movement' while playing many notes at fast tempos and with demanding drill. I'm sure there is no one in DCA who is even coming close to this.