:blink::lol:

Fran

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

not bad. not enough drum stuff, but i give it 3 stars

Yeah, but this is Mike we're talking about.

For my money, the day isn't done until you've messed with Mike.

:D

Sunrisers.

20b; 5snares; 3tenors; 4bd 9cg (estimates)

The Sunrisers have a small, but entertaining corps. They had problems playing their book--phasing problems during "Nessun Dorma" were particularly noticable. Although the drumline was "dut-dut"ing very loudly (actually a bit too loudly) they were missing attacks and phrases sounded muddy. Still, they had attitude and I like that. Look for them to do damage later in the season. The small guard nicely complimented the music, although their show was not done. The Sunrisers have an interesting book and show, plus some serious amounts of talent, but they will need considerable work in music execution and M&M in order to move up in such a competitive field.

CorpsVets

48b; 7snares; 4tenors; 5bd; 9pit; 15cg

This Corps featured a guard in barbershop quartet (?) uniforms? The guard was lively and executed well, but the uniforms were a bit peculiar. Overall, the brass was not as rich in the low end as say the Cabs. Occasionally there were balance problems with the battery being overpowered by the brass. I don't know if this was the result of the unusual (Dynasty?) cut-away semi-roto tom looking snares and tenors. Mainly, this corps never really got cooking. I suspect that because its early in the year they were tentative on their charts. All-in-all, something was lacking, but I'm not sure what.

Caballeros

50brass; 8s;4tenors; 5bd;12 pit (CG unkown)

Wow. This drumline came to play! I was impressed by the power and skill of this drumline. They were aggressive and drove a beautiful Spanish themed show. The Cabs drumline was clearly the best in the show and attacked a difficult book with gusto. The brass too, was very powerful, with as Mike noted above, low brass well-represented. I loved their arrangements: they were very rich and exciting. The Guard's sexy uniforms complimented their high energy style. The Caballeros really got the crowd's attention. (As Mike pointed out,) the Cab's white shirts were bland in my opinion. It seemed like something was lacking in the top part of their uniforms. Regarding marching, they were pretty sloppy, and I'll bet that cost them the show. With the big hornline the drill at times seemed cramped. Still, this was an "impact" corps and I too thought they had eeked out a win.

Carolnia Gold

35brass; 7s;4tenors;5bd;4 pit; 18cg.

This is a mid-size corps with a lot of talent and punch. Their show seemed to suit their 35 brass and they held their own after the Cabs 50 horn onslaught. Witth screaming sopranos (trumpets?), a color gaurd perched on step ladders and an aggressive drumline, who could ask for more? I do have to note that their battery plays a difficult feature which had some execution problems. While the show was good, the "funk" was a little stiff. Still, this corps has great potential for this season.

The audience seemed to enjoy the Gold and I did too.

Connecticut Hurricanes

21 brass; 5snares; 2 tenors; 6 pit; 18color gaurd

This corps sounded quite a bit smaller than the previous two. The "Jesus Christ Superstar" theme never really got the audience involved. While I loved the very "girly" gaurd with long flowing hair, they were having some execution problems throughout the show, both with equipment and drill. The crowd did appreciate the soprano soloists, and the percussion spot was nicely executed for this early in the season.

Bushwackers

45brass; 6snares; 3 tenors; 5bd 35 cg.

The Bushwackers won this show because they were the cleanest in M&M and they were close in all other captions. That much was clear just from watching their show. The scores merely confirmed it, although I would have nudged it the other way toward the Cabs. The first section of the show seemed slow. However, the Bushwackers really turned it on during the "Rocky Point Holiday" closer. It was clear that it was their favorite chart and they played it with gusto. Nevertheless, this part of their show was the least well-executed. Still, it got the crowd involved and I would be remiss without mentioning the large and effective color gaurd. Their silk work was particularly impressive.

Skyliners

21 brass;6 snare; 2 tenors; 5bd; 6 pit; 14cg

The hometown corps, the Skyliners had a "small corps" feel and sound. Nevertheless, it was a very entertaining performance with some nice solo work. I really like what they do with fairly few members. The drill had nice field coverage without spreading them too thin. I thought the battery played their book fairly well, although it was clear that some work was needed in execution. Mainly this drumline seemed to lack the confidence of other lines that actually played worse. I agree with Mike-it was weird seeing the drumline not wearing shakos. The brass line is effective for a small group, and played their book quite well. All-in-all, the Skyliners have the potential of being a real crowd pleaser as they polish this well-written show.

In exhibition

Targets from Springfield, MA in exhibition.

The Targets are a very small corps with 10brass, 4snares, 4 basses, 2 tenors and a nice small color guard. Their show is based upon Gloria Estefan music and it is a pleasant music selection. Obviously, a few more brass could help them. Both brass and percussion struggled with their book. They could add a bit more latin flavor from the pit. In the intro they use a conga and it really adds a tone that seems necessary considering their book. Overall, this unit got the show off to a great start.

Spirit of Newark.

While the Spirit of Newark’s show was not complete, they have some very good players. With 17 brass and a small battery, they entertained the crowd with a solid selection of music. The opener in particular was well-suited for their small size. The drumline was muddy at times and the tenors in particular seemed tentative. There were also some balance problems between the battery, hornline and pit (too loud). The color guard’s show was not complete, (nor were they wearing actual uniforms) but the drill shows nice field coverage for a small corps. All-in-all, this is a nice little corps that has a reasonable show that they doubtless will improve in the coming weeks.

Jersey Surf

This corps could be on the road to something big this year. With about 45 brass and a large guard of 28, coupled with a full battery, the Jersey Surf seem poised to move into the upper ranks of DCI corps. Their book, while not overly difficult showed them to good advantage. The battery did struggle with some of the exposed sections. The colorgaurd did some nice changes with adding skirts to their uniforms. OVerall, this corps is clearly on the rise and they are homegrown.

All-in-all, this was a great show with excellent performances from each unit. The attendance was good, the stands were not in the best shape. You couldn't ask for better weather. :)

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I can "review" Sun and CorpsVets since I saw the entire show. I didn't count numbers nor do I particulary like doing a review but I did watch the performances so I can give a little insight. I am also a brass person so I don't comment much on drums or guard.

I've spent the past 7 years marching and this was actually one of the first DCA shows I watched. The only reason I'm not marching is because I'm having my first child. :) (In about 11 days now....)

I got to the show late because of an accident on 287 North that had traffic backed up for over 3 miles so I missed all the junior corps and waited for a seat at the end of Surf.

Sunrisers

Their show is called "A Touch of Class" and it featured Pagliacci, Claire De Lune, Bolero and Nessun Dorma

Sun's hornline is small and unfortunately that is something that hurts them. I really enjoyed the music they picked, however, it doesn't have as much of an inpact because of the size of the hornline. At times there were people laying out or that didn't know their parts well enough. Their percussion section is larger than I remember in the past and that's great for them! It just seems that there were too many individuals there too and maybe a little bit of inexperience. Since I was sitting at field level, I didn't get much of a view of the drill but body facings and marching technique should be addressed for all sections of the corps. Overall I felt they came out with a strong package and they were working really hard. Since this was the first show, I know they will improve as they rehearse more thoughout the summer.

Lots of luck to you Sun! Keep working hard!

CorpsVets

Their show is called "A Trip to Vegas" and featured Luck Be a Lady, Feeling Good and Copa Cabanna

I honestly have not seen much of the CorpsVets but I was pleasantly surprised when they came out of the field! I had no idea what to expect since I know or have seen very little of them. From the start of the show the corps was very fun and entertaining. The crowd seemed to enjoy the show and you got some good responses! I also thought the pacing of the show was great as well as the programming choices. It really worked well for you. Clearly there were drill and marching issues but it's early July and that will come. The brass came across pretty strong in all sections, however, there were several attacks and articulations that need to be cleaned up. Overall, I felt like the corps was ready to perform, was excited to be out of the field and convayed that feeling to the audience. I really enjoyed your show and I wish you lots of luck!

NOW.....for the other corps that people already touched on....

Hawthorne Caballeros

Their show is called "Reflections Through the Future" featuring Fuego, Malaga, Spain, Mission:06, Reflections of El Torro

Clearly Cabs came out strong for their first show and that was great! Their hornline was much bigger than last years and I know that definitely helped them. They have lots of talent in their hornline but I don't feel like they blend together from section to section. I was sitting on the 50 at field level and it was very evident that some people were sticking out or were laying out. With the size of your low brass section I expected a huge, amazing wall of low brass sound and didn't get that at all. The high brass really overpowers the low brass. The show demonstrates lots of demand for the brass players. Their trumpet soloist, guy with blonde hair - I think, was absolutely amazing. I LOVED his tone and sound production. He was probably one of the best soloists of the night! Overall, I think Cabs have a decent show that will continue to grow and improve as the season goes on. I expect that they will be fighting for the top spots in September! Lots of luck!

Carolina Gold

"Moster Off A Leash, The Music of Tower of Power"

Carolina Gold two strong acts to follow and they did a pretty good job. Halfway through the show I felt the corps really ran out of steam and was struggling to make it to the end. (I read in earlier posts you had a killer parade and practice session but I was not aware of that the evening of the show.) I'm glad you held it together though. I enjoy the music of TOP and once the show gets cleaned up and the endurance issues are not a factor I think things will take off for you. I am not into soloists that stand of the sidelines and play on and of for the entire show. I would have much rathered that you were incorporated into the show. Both soloists easily overpowered the rest of the corps by the end, especially in the last chord partly because they were positioned close to the sideline and also because the rest of the corps was fatigued. I look forward to your progress over the season and I hope you keep working hard. I look forward to seeing your impovements by September! Have a great season!

Hurricanes

"Jesus Christ Superstar"

I'm a huge fan of musicals so I enjoyed this corps program choice. Overall I felt that the corps did not come out as strong as they could have. There were drill and marching issues in all sections. In the brass there were music issues like blend, balance and technique. Overall I felt the performance didn't have much dynamic contrast. I'm sure as the season progresses, you will continue to build and improve and I look forward to that. Lots of luck as the season progresses!

Bushwackers

"Fanfare for the New, The Perfect Year and Rocky Point Holiday"

Okay....so I will try not to be bias. ;)

Bush came out very strong for their first show. From the opening note right up until the end I felt that the corps worked hard and did not let up. They clearly came out of the gate wanting to perform and impress. I felt the opening and closing numbers were strong but the ballad was a little flat, not in pitch but with dynamic contrast. This is the corps song and I think the corps was "relaxing" a little after the strong opener. The closer was decent, however, I also noticed the odd transition after the percussion feature and when the contras came in. It was hard to hear and seemed like 2 people might have played. The rest of the corps picked up from there and continued being strong up until the end. Overall, the horns play really well and have good blend and balance. The percussion and guard compliment the corps well and I expect that as the season continues they will also be fighting for one of the top spots Finals weekend.

Skyliners

"Fire In The Sky"

Sky had an interesting mix of music for their show. The tunes they picked were entertaining and fun. I felt the corps was not too strong and there were issues with drill and marching, however, the certainly know how to entertain. I wasn't a fan of Bohemian Rhapsody because it really sounded like it needed more depth. Overall, the corps put on a decent show and I look forward to the improvements they will make as the season progresses.

Sky Alumni

You guys and girls are just FUN! It's enjoyable to watch a performance were the performers just love playing. I think it's great that so many of you continue to play your instruments and have a great time doing it. You did a great job wrapping up the evening!

To all the corps......LOTS OF LUCK FOR AN AMAZING SEASON. It was a great first show and there are so many improvements and changes to be made that it will be an exciting year as the season progresses.

Please remember that these are just my opinions and I thought all the corps did a fantastic job.

What's great about DCA is the differences between all the corps and what you have to offer.

Edited by Music4Life

Bushwackers

45brass; 6snares; 3 tenors; 5bd 35 cg.

We also had a front ensemble (Pit- if you must) of seven players and a marching cymbal line of three

Look for all sections to grow in the coming weeks

Mike - here's the thing - somehow you need to become a HUGE TOP fan!

(with David Garibaldi on drums, from the purist standpoint!)

Once you've achieved that, you will be destined for greatness, man!

:P

Thanks for the great reviews. I am a member of the CV color guard. Our uniforms are "dealer" costumes. We will be adding a garter for the arm and a visor. I have would have never thought of the barber shop idea......my mom asked me if we were doing a clown show when she altered my uniform HA HA HA HA...... And a big THANK YOU to the guy I met from Cabs at the consession stand who said he was glad we were there. We had a ball :P

Yeah, but this is Mike we're talking about.

For my money, the day isn't done until you've messed with Mike.

:D

it should be a requirement in the guidelines