Wireless ban

Wireless  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Ban wireless anything?

• Ban wireless
    • Allow wireless

OK, so I think we can all agree that there is a glitch in the matrix. Judge amps or ditch amps. Of that, I think we're sure.

Well, one other thing. Should we happen to be dealing with electricity next year of any kind, I would suggest a minimum of one rule change no matter what. Ban all wireless electronics. All amping/miking has to be done through a cable, if at all.

Are you with me on that?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I think we can all agree that there is a glitch in the matrix. Judge amps or ditch amps. Of that, I think we're sure.

Well, one other thing. Should we happen to be dealing with electricity next year of any kind, I would suggest a minimum of one rule change no matter what. Ban all wireless electronics. All amping/miking has to be done through a cable, if at all.

Are you with me on that?

Can you expand on why you feel that way, regarding wireless?

Are you with me on that?

My initial reaction is what is wrong with wireless, assuming mics are allowed in the first place? Please provide some thoughts for why you think wireless is such a problem that it should be banned. I think it makes setup easier and looks better - less clutter.

If I could have afforded it, I would have gone with wireless mics for my indoor drum line show this year. But given the budget, I had to go with what I already had on hand. Just setting up a simple amp system with three mics and taking it off the floor was enough of a hassle. With wireless I could have had the mics mounted on the keyboards in advance.

So maybe there is some aspect of wireless that is problematic. It is just a matter of trying to reign it in, so a performing member can't be on the field? If that's the case, I'd say no need for the ban. I'd like to hear your thoughts before I cast my vote, though. Maybe there is something I'm not seeing that is a problem.

I voted to allow wireless. We all know that I don't want any amps or mikes on drum corps, but if it is going to be allowed, why not go wireless and have one less thing to trip over.

What benefit would banning wireless achieve? Even David agrees that wireless isn't a bad way to go, if you can manage it. Seems like it would be that much easier for the corps, and I'm having a hard time seeing what effect you're going for by trying to have them banned.

I just don't know whether I'm for banning wireless...

I just know I would "prefer" a totally un-amped performance these days, but things change.

The only thing I will say is the same thing many have commented about already in these forums:

Unless done VERY WELL, and the board is being run by someone who knows exactly what they're doing, and has learned

and studied and been a part of and works completely with the music arrangers and performers, and appreciates the need for

balance and has been with the program from the beginning... amplified music and sounds can be a total distraction if they are

too loud or bright over the true pure sound of the acoustic instruments... that's all. Period.

This is well known by the folks running the sounds and the programs, so I know they want the sound and enhancements to be right.

I just still sit on a fence with my opinion somewhat guarded as things move forward...

Can you expand on why you feel that way, regarding wireless?

Sure. Essentially, wireless is unreliable relatively, and it's also subject to radio wave interference. That's not to say that cabled amp systems are perfect... however wireless can be messed with. It must be subject to potential interference. So for those reasons, I think at this time it would be in everyone's best interest to not use it.

I see the day when someone's final show is jacked with, and it's not that far off.

EDIT -- relatively LESS reliable.

Edited by drumcat

Sure. Essentially, wireless is unreliable relatively, and it's also subject to radio wave interference. That's not to say that cabled amp systems are perfect... however wireless can be messed with. It must be subject to potential interference. So for those reasons, I think at this time it would be in everyone's best interest to not use it.

I see the day when someone's final show is jacked with, and it's not that far off.

Good points, but I'll say this.

Corps taking the chance of that happening is the same as taking chances on show design.......it either succeeds, or fails.

I can only think of one reason to ban wireless, and it has nothing to do with the performers or the corps really. The biggest problem people encounter with wireless mics is that cell phone's in the audience can effect their performance. Being a theatre kid as well as a drum corps person, this is something I've had to deal with on many occasions. Often people in a theatre don't realize that just putting their phones on silent or vibrate, while making it so nobody knows their phone is going off, still can affect the signal of a wireless mic to the receptor box. Now in a big outdoor stadium and with the audience further away then in many theatres, I don't think it matters much. I just feel the biggest problems with wireless mics and really even some of the corded mics is that there aren't trained professional people working them and that's causing many of the problems people are hearing and complaining about. I am pro amp but even I wish if a corps is going to use it, then make sure it works, change your batteries on wireless' before EVERY show, leave it to the sound person to turn your mic on and off, you shouldnt be clicking your own button from the set, or just don't use mics. My $2.88.

After having talked to corps that are using wireless, they use a scanner to detect and assign unused frequencies, which should eliminate the interference problem.