Thoughts on the Scouts?

OK, I haven't posted on here in about two years...so I may be a complete babbling idiot...

Saw my beloved Scouts tonight in Cedarburg and walked away feeling rather...indifferent.

Seems like a "same ####, different year" thing. Horns and drums are good, guard is a far step back, and total show design is just not there. The total package doesn't seem coherent and musically, ugh, doesn't exactly imprint immediately on the memory bank like other Scouts shows

Here's my question: what will it take for the Scouts to be a perennial Top 6 contender like they seemed to be most of their existence? It seems like since the late 90s, they went down to the "2nd tier" and haven't been able to knock on the door again. This year seems to be the first sideways year since the new regime has taken over. I just look at Cavies, Cadets, and BD year in and out, and they are ALWAYS there. What do these corps do diiferently to assure a top tier placement every year and why can't the Scouts get there too?

Just some thoughts I'd throw to the savvy DCP community.

BTW - Bluecoats are goooooooooood.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that Madison WAS a top 6 corps just last year. After seeing the difficulty of the drill this year, I still think being a top 6 corps is very much a possibility for this year. I think the drumline last year and this year certainly rank with some of the best Madison has ever had.

Where the corps will end up this year will probably be as far as their guard will take them.

And I want to be clear that this isn't about placement, it's about "blow the doors off" performance, which I usaully ascribe to the top corps. Scouts haven't had a ridiculous "throw the babies" show in years.

Saw my beloved Scouts tonight in Cedarburg and walked away feeling rather...indifferent.

The difference I see in the two shows is that Bluecoats play the horn book while marching as opposed to Scouts' jazz running to a set, stopping and then playing.

It MIGHT have something to do with the difference in scoring...... :blink:

And I want to be clear that this isn't about placement, it's about "blow the doors off" performance, which I usaully ascribe to the top corps. Scouts haven't had a ridiculous "throw the babies" show in years.

And to that I would say...WHO HAS? Those types of shows just do not exist anymore. I think one of the reasons is simply the amount of high velocity movement that corps are expected to perform today. There just aren't many places in a show where the corps can do an old fashioned

"park and blow the doors off" that we often heard in the '80s.

Some have also suggested the switch from G bugles has had an impact.

I also believe the "blow the doors off" shows are no longer "judge friendly"...which is too bad because they certainly were "fan friendly".

OK, I haven't posted on here in about two years...so I may be a complete babbling idiot...

Seems like a "same ####, different year" thing. Horns and drums are good, guard is a far step back, and total show design is just not there. The total package doesn't seem coherent and musically, ugh, doesn't exactly imprint immediately on the memory bank like other Scouts shows

Here's my question: what will it take for the Scouts to be a perennial Top 6 contender like they seemed to be most of their existence? It seems like since the late 90s, they went down to the "2nd tier" and haven't been able to knock on the door again. This year seems to be the first sideways year since the new regime has taken over. I just look at Cavies, Cadets, and BD year in and out, and they are ALWAYS there. What do these corps do diiferently to assure a top tier placement every year and why can't the Scouts get there too?

Just some thoughts I'd throw to the savvy DCP community.

The issue is easy, really. What did the '95, '96, '97, and '99 shows have in common? Music. Amazing, melodic, well-written, flowing MADISON-SCOUT-LIKE music. To think that the 2006 show could anywhere near match the energy level of those shows is a joke. Plus, it just doesn't seem like a full, cohseive product to me. I mean think of the Pirates show, or the JCS show...total packages. Now it's just, let's throw together hits and chords and call it a show. It's not very Scout-like, at all, and when a corps strays from their identity, nothing good can come out of that. I'm all for growing and changing, but corps need to look in their past, find what made their shows great, and use it for the present. What good is the past if you're not going to use it to help for the future?

It's not very Scout-like, at all, and when a corps strays from their identity, nothing good can come out of that. I'm all for growing and changing, but corps need to look in their past, find what made their shows great, and use it for the present. What good is the past if you're not going to use it to help for the future?

How about 11 minutes of "Malaguena" EVERY year? Would THAT make you happy? :blink:

Boston's greatest hits.

Problem solved.

I'm a genius.

I think the scouts are well on there way to becoming a consistend contender. They aren't there yet, but they're doing the right things. Slowly but surely they are gathering all of their ammunition, building every section up, slowly progressing the program. I think BYBO might come back when the scouts have the total package from every aspect. When you have the talent and experience, you can sell almost any product. Personally, from seeing the show last year, I feel like the scouts have taught everyone to think. It appeared like the members thought about every step, note, etc. This was great for their execution. Now hopefully they can take this execution and present it in a manner that appears like...they aren't thinking. As far as bringing back madison classics, that won't do. For one thing, I know the corp has moved in a direction of creating more space and putting emphasis on groups other than just the hornline. I know when I marched I used to be so jealous of how much exposure other drumlines were getting compared to us. I would say 2005 scouts was a nice change for percussion. I wouldn't get down on them. It takes more than "three years" to do what they're trying to do.