Thoughts on the Scouts?

I don't think the difficulty of drill was really a problem with the Scouts show last year. The demand was there. The problem, as has been pointed out many times, was with the last minute of the show - primarily from a design and music standpoint.

Good point...maybe it wasn't that the show wasn't demanding enough, but it just seemed to level out the last few weeks of the season...its like they didn't have enough to clean at the very end. As you said, more of a design and music issue, moreso than deman.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the shows cited in this thread as very successful recent Scouts shows were '97 – The Pirates of Lake Mendota, and '99 – Jesus Christ Superstar, neither of which contains even one quote from Malaguena. So your snarky comment was not only totally uncalled for, it was totally irrelevant.

Scouts don't necessarily need to bring back any "Madison classics" in order to get babies thrown at them. There is plenty of music out there that can become the next "Madison classic", just as was done in 97 and 99. But, it's nice of them to pull one out once every few years or so, like Malaga back in 2004, just to remind everyone that they aren't abandoning their past.

Good point...maybe it wasn't that the show wasn't demanding enough, but it just seemed to level out the last few weeks of the season...its like they didn't have enough to clean at the very end. As you said, more of a design and music issue, moreso than deman.

They had plenty to clean at the end of last year. Like, all 15 of their experimental endings! :P

The 2005 ending was changed several times. They kept re-learning a new ending. A quite/down ending, a loud ending, and so on.

I LOVE the end of their show this year. Musically, very "Madison."

Again, with the show they have this year, there will be no "peaking" prior to Championships. I think it will be a steady climb while they clean.

What I really admire about Madison this year, like others have said,

is that they are taking a risk with this show. From all the reports

I've heard, every element of the design has more depth, demand

and sophistication than in years past. They may or may not stay in the top

6 when it's all said and done, but in my book, it doesn't matter because

they are putting growth as the priority.

When I was in college, my graphic design teacher often told us that getting

a "C" on a project didn't necessarilly mean that you did worse than if you had gotten an "A".

Sometimes the "C" meant that you attempted something harder

and fell just a bit short. But in the end, you may have learned more

than if you had simply gone for the grade.

(And you can tell by my run-on sentences that I didn't get the "A" in grammar) :P

Edited by madalumni

The issue is easy, really. What did the '95, '96, '97, and '99 shows have in common? Music. Amazing, melodic, well-written, flowing MADISON-SCOUT-LIKE music. To think that the 2006 show could anywhere near match the energy level of those shows is a joke. Plus, it just doesn't seem like a full, cohseive product to me. I mean think of the Pirates show, or the JCS show...total packages.

Agreed that those were incredible shows, no question. Can you produce that every year? No. Was the corps decimated after falling out of the top 12 in 2002? Yes. When a corps slides like that, the talent looks elswhere. They are close to being back to the old Madison from a mature, talented performer stand point, but not loaded like the afore mentioned years. Give the boys time, they are almost there. I have seen the show 2 times now and I like it alot. We have to be "educated" fans and check on the music that the corps programs. Have a listen to the source music and I bet you will feel differently (that ballad is AWESOME). The shows that every one hypes about Madison are recognizable because A. they have been played over and over by the corps. B. Used themes that were easily identifiable (Pirate show), or C. were pulled from major works that have a lot of play (JCS show, every one knows that music). Not every show will be a fan favorite, can't do that every year. I will say this, no one (that I have seen: not seen Devs nor Cadets yet) is playing as hard a book or marching as hard a drill. Scouts are dirty now, but cleaned up, that show will produce a lot of excitment.

And I want to be clear that this isn't about placement, it's about "blow the doors off" performance, which I usaully ascribe to the top corps. Scouts haven't had a ridiculous "throw the babies" show in years.

Nor will they in the near future! Their current management is striving for competitive placement (IMO) and will only produce shows that they feel will score well with the judges. Although they say the shows are "typical Madison" since 1999 they have fallen short. The past Scout leadership was more concerned with audience appeal and not so much with the judges. this also started to see the corps competitive placements falling each year. I think the true answer for this corps is somewhere in the middle. Yes they need to place well, but so many people would love to see them produce shows comparable to the mid 1980s and mid 1990s.

The issue is easy, really. What did the '95, '96, '97, and '99 shows have in common? Music. Amazing, melodic, well-written, flowing MADISON-SCOUT-LIKE music. To think that the 2006 show could anywhere near match the energy level of those shows is a joke. Plus, it just doesn't seem like a full, cohseive product to me. I mean think of the Pirates show, or the JCS show...total packages.

I agree. Music is the answer!!!!!

Keep the drum staff and visual designer...get new brass and guaurd staffs.

How long have you followed the Scouts? The same man that arranged the '99 show is still arranging for them. His name would be Scott Boerma. Definitely a soon to be hall-of-famer. He'll be arranging them long into his 90's.

As far as guard is concerned they should hire someone from WGI. I don't follow that circuit so I don't know the names but I'm sure there is someone there with more than enough talent to blow the doors off of DCI.

How about 11 minutes of "Malaguena" EVERY year? Would THAT make you happy? :lol:

yes