An expert's thoughts on Cadets

no "expert" would write something that INCORRECT - Cadets brass has the greatest visual demands placed on it in this program that I've seen in eons. None of the other programs I've seen thus far this season remotely come close to the visual demands placed on the Cadets' brass.

Of course they have their share of visual demand and stressful drill moves, but you're making it sound as if they're sprinting the entire show or something, with blind passthroughs every 8 counts. Sorry, but watching the brass lug around those big pink props to and fro and then stand around and do the "Elvis on crack" windmill dance or whatever it is they're doing isn't the most demanding drill I've seen from the Cadets in eons. It has its moments, like many other shows, but it's not the hardest thing they've ever done.

And I disagree with the "judge." There are multi-focus problems in this show IMO. The fan boys like to call that "complex layering." But when you're asking your audience to keep looking around at everything going on to try to figure out what to watch, to me, that's a problem. I know they don't WANT me to look at the horns and guard lugging the big pink props around, and they WANT me to look at the three act play going on with the characters on the other side of the field, but the props are BIG and BRIGHT PINK and kinda hard to ignore. Clutter clutter clutter. Awkward transitions because of it. Too much going on at once. Ten pounds of #### into a five pound bag.

Performed well? Absolutely. And I expect at the end of the season I will LOVE how well this show is performed. But that's not enough for me. If I'm still sitting there in August trying to figure out what to watch, then I would be very disappointed. There is great potential to the CONCEPT of this show. I just think there are some design issues that are creating needless problems and need to be reworked.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, am I the only one who still thinks the Cadets don't move around as much as The Cavaliers? I just don't see it... maybe because the Cadets don't move around as fast? Even if that's the case, I'm sorry, but the highest visual demand for the hornline is still on the Cavaliers.

I remember in past some guy (in Utah maybe?) on RAMD that had it down to a science w/ a method for determining the difficulty of any drill. It will probably need to wait until DVD's are available.

I remember in past some guy (in Utah maybe?) on RAMD that had it down to a science w/ a method for determining the difficulty of any drill. It will probably need to wait until DVD's are available.

You're talking Stuart Rice's paper on Planar Analysis and Functional Marching. It's ironic that it's results did match the outcome of a corps at Finals but was berated down by those who "hate math" and didn't want it's lexicon to become part of the marching vocabulary. So instead of trying fight it, Stuart just let it go. Only Stu, Vince Lamb, and me (though nowhere as indepth) still keep it alive, but in the comfort of our own homes.

Edited by sburstall