An expert's thoughts on Cadets

While they are Still for some of the drum solo right now, be rest assured that it will change.

I had a feeling that was going to happen.... saw the Cadets at last week's Maryland show and noticed the hornline standing still for a while during the drum break. I had to figure that movement was going to be added at some point. The Cadets tend not to stand around for too long! :P

Fran

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, am I the only one who still thinks the Cadets don't move around as much as The Cavaliers? I just don't see it... maybe because the Cadets don't move around as fast? Even if that's the case, I'm sorry, but the highest visual demand for the hornline is still on the Cavaliers.

Good Lord, from the venom I've read here so far, one would think they should be scoring in the 50's.

This conclusion is absolutely ridiculous...

No one on here has disputed the talent level of this year's corps....no one has even inferred anything which makes your supposition valid

Everyone who has seen them acknowledges their high performance level...some, however, absolutely do not like what the kids are performing...they do not like the design of this year's show...it doesn't matter if it's being performed by the Cadets or by Tall Tommy's Hardware Store, Video Arcade, and Drum and Bugle Corps

Anyways the cadets always move on the field and don't think that its any different this year.

There's different levels of Cadets drill, and last year may have moved but I'd never rank that drill design in the Top 10 of anything. Are there tons of amazing drill moves, rotating boxes, HOW DID THEY DO THAT? moments, and a ######## final movement?

Ok, am I the only one who still thinks the Cadets don't move around as much as The Cavaliers? I just don't see it... maybe because the Cadets don't move around as fast? Even if that's the case, I'm sorry, but the highest visual demand for the hornline is still on the Cavaliers.

I think the Cadets move about as much as anyone. The Cavaliers tend to do more sequential moves that make it seem as though they are doing more moving. Their tempos are not any faster. They simply move at shorter count sets, like 4, 6, and 8 count sets. Cadets tend to move in more wide-open sets, usually with longer counts. Obviously both corps are very similar in some regard, and very different, which is the greatest thing for us, the fan. And regardless of what people say about their show, and I have not seen it yet myself (and I may not like it either thhis year), but both corps are classy corps.

Go Bluecoats!

My knees say that shorter count sets are more physically demanding than sets with longer counts.

I mean, really...think about it. Direction changes hurt when done in succession.

My knees say that shorter count sets are more physically demanding than sets with longer counts.

I mean, really...think about it. Direction changes hurt when done in succession.

I agree with you somewhat. Cadets look like they are starting to do more "sub-sets". But I also believe that it is equally hard to maintain a form for longer periods. More obvious errors that way. Its just 2 different styles. No one is better. Varity keeps things from becoming stale.imo :mmm:

Are "experts" (as in the thread subtitle) more expert at understanding shows than mere corps fans, or are they just better trained to respond with commentary and a score? I'm not challenging anyone on this, I'm just curious what most fans believe.

I think there are a few points to consider:

Judges are trained to look for certain criteria that may or may not be relevant to "fans". Look at a judges sheet. Want to explain what some of those subcaptions mean? Ask an average fan to define "GE" and they might say "audience appreciation." Of course it's a whole lot more esoteric than that.

Also, of course, judges have an ideal vantage point to observe their caption. It's tough to tell from 35 yard line, row 57 whether a corps has interval issues, for instance! Also, I'm not a percussionist. I can tell the difference in excellence between Pioneer and Cadets drum lines, but not between SCV and Cadets.

Finally, these guys watch the same aspect of a show for 11 minutes. I might notice an outstanding brass lick or a guard move, but I'm not watching either caption for 11 minutes.

So, ultimately, I believe most judges look past a show concept they might not like; it's not the job of a field percussion judge to speak to whether the singer sings too much.

Given all this, I'm amazed that I agree with the placements as often as I do.

I agree with you somewhat. Cadets look like they are starting to do more "sub-sets". But I also believe that it is equally hard to maintain a form for longer periods. More obvious errors that way. Its just 2 different styles. No one is better. Varity keeps things from becoming stale.imo :mmm:

I think that's true. Can you imagine if all the corps wore the same uni's and preformed the exact same show? It might be easier for the judges, but they'd probably be playing to a lot of empty seats.