Cedarburg (Grafton), WI -- 7/3/04

What another GREAT weather night for drum corps!! There weren't even bugs and the wind didn't seem to be posing any sort of problems for the colorguards.

I will preface this with the comment: this is the reason I stopped doing reviews a couple years back. I'd end up at three shows on a weekend and run out of adjectives by the second show! Seriously. I think I'm going to do things a little different tonight. For DII/III, I'll put them in order that I loved them.. so there is no question about where I thought they should have placed. We didn't really stay in the stands for scores and encore because I just couldn't see losing another three minutes of my life to that encore song.. *shudders* Besides, I had seen some good friends of mine from waaaayyy back before I was a drum corps kid.. when I was still just a band kid.. and their son (whose GESTATION AND BIRTH I clearly remember when I was still of marching age) is in his third year marching mellophone for Colts. Ask me how old I feel now. No. Don't. I don't want to talk about it. I'll just sit here and rock for a little while.

Anyway.. it was nice that they invited a quintet of trumpets to come play the national anthem.. but there is little doubt that this show loves the Scouts even without them being the corps that did it.

It was just nice to hear corps members play it.

First in my heart are the Colt Cadets. I can't say much more about the show than I already have.. other than that they are cuter and better than the last time I saw them. I love getting to see them a couple of times because the first viewing is my "aawwwwww" viewing.. when I am completely bowled over by how cute they are and everything they do has little flowers and birdies flying around it because it's so cute. The subsequent viewings are my chance to watch the story they tell and enjoy how much they've improved.. and this year, I get to watch for my "little buddies" -- the little kids I see really struggling because that soprano is SOOOO HEAVY.. (but hey.. he's probably like, SEVEN.. so it IS heavy!).. one in particular just kills me every time because he just doesn't give up.. he gets about 3/4 of the way through the show and his arms are reeeaaallly tired.. and his elbows are just flapping.. then he catches himself.. and he pushes them all the way up to his shoulders.. and really really exaggerates his horn angle.. then it's too much for him and he just collapses back down again.. and he'll go for a little longer and do it again. He never gives up. That kid is the King of Drum Corps right there. Mike's "little buddy" is this kid in the pit. NO TROUBLE PROJECTING for this kid. He's got full on game face the whole show.. and at the end, he's just spent. He can't even carry anything off the field or push a keyboard.. What's great is that in 5 years, that kid in the pit is going to move into the A corps.. and in 7 years, that kid in the hornline is going to move into the A corps.. and they are both going to be total badasses.. and the Colts will be unstoppable. That's my prediction for the future BECAUSE of this little DII corps that can't really march and has a great time entertaining the crowd. All Hail Colt Cadets.

Capital Sound, second in my heart.. and unfortunately for them, they are a great corps but some of their corps parents/family/fans are just terrible. Unfortunately for them, the family of snotty, rather be somewhere else, only-applaud-for-only-that-corps-and-shoosh-everyone-around-you Capital Sound fans sitting in front of us wrecked their show for me. I was more focused on how rude this woman had been and as a result just WANTING to do stuff to #### her off. Don't get me wrong, I did watch the show.. the kids did a phenomenal job.. they've cleaned up well and their guard, while small, is wonderful... but then sitting behind these people watching them GOLF CLAP for some of the most incredible performances I've seen since I don't know when.. and watching them NEVER STAND and applaude for corps as they passed in review just pinched my nipple. Thank Goodness for Uncle Z, folks. I could have caused a real scene. The worst part of it wasn't that it happened at all, but that this is the second year in a row that I've had a bad experience with a set of parents from that corps. A different set!! What's wrong with those people? I paid $20 to enjoy that show just like you so you can take your snotty attitude and stuff it straight up your ...... nose. :blink: Okay.. the more I think about it, the madder I get so I'm going off of this corps for now. Great corps. Great performance. LOUSY fans.

Racine Scouts.. well.. third for a number of reasons but not because I dislike them. I actually like them and respect them quite a lot.. but this was a show theme they've done in the last 5 or 6 years and the cute gimmicks weren't fresh to me so they were just gimmicky. The corps struggles in every area.. recruiting being the top.. but they keep going .. and those kids perform that WHOLE SHOW for us so I respect the heck out of that. And the kid on ratchet is the Prince of Drum Corps.. behind that kid in Colts with the soprano. Seriously.. that kid rules.

ON TO DIV I.

FIRST IN MY HEART was *drumroll*

BLUE STARS!! You guys, Blue Stars absolutely STOLE the show tonight.. they were completely on fire. The guard kicked ###. The drums kicked ###. The HORNS came UP INTO THE STANDS and ##### SLAPPED EVERY PERSON SITTING THERE THINKING ANYBODY BUT THE BLUE STARS WERE IN ATTENDANCE THAT NIGHT. I am so not kidding. They actually got a mini ovation in the middle of their show.. a seldom seen creature anymore.. and while it was timid, it was THERE.. they EARNED IT. They absolutely threw down.. then jumped on it .. and stomped it for a while.. then it got up by the threw it down again and beat it into total submission. We were sitting near a friend of mine who marched with me at Kilties and had told them "you guys are REALLY gonna like Blue Stars" and they were like, "yeah okay.. but they'll never beat Scouts" -- and yeah, they didn't beat scouts.. but they had that crowd. My friend and his family leaned in during the ovation and shouted (he had to shout so I could hear over the wailing and screaming from the stands), "OH MY GOD YOU WERE SO RIGHT! THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!" After the show, Mike and I were walking around and we passed a couple of kids wearing Blue Stars jackets and we thanked them for such a phenomenal show. We told them how they really captured the crowd tonight and he thanked us.. but really.. we thank YOU Blue Stars.. This season is brighter and more electric because of you. Turns out, Mike knows this kid -- apparently he knows this kid's dad from when HE marched.. He told me this morning we were talking to "Little Sev" (DCP member "BigSev's" son). See? Drum Corps IS a community!!

second in my heart would have to be the Colts. Not just because of my friends and their son -- because I really didn't know that until we were standing at the cook truck watching them hand out corndogs and pretzels and they TOLD me.. then he WALKED BY towering over me!! *rocking in chair quietly for a moment* .. but Colts have a spectacular program this year that really highlights some talented young people performing a fantastic and entertaining program. I can't get enough of it! I walked out of the stadium tonight humming "As Time Goes By".. it's just about the best Colts corps I've heard in a number of years and they deserve the scores they've been getting -- maybe even a bit more. I'm not ashamed that I'm a Colts fan. I'm not!! They're (in my mind, anyway) one of the "can't miss" corps of the season. If you get the chance, don't miss them. They're awesome.

Third in my heart -- and only because the Blue Stars tore it up tonight -- is the Bluecoats. Their show tonight, to both of us, seemed a little off from Madison the night before.. and when we ran into jared mello (some of you know him from around these parts) he thought their show tonight was a bit better.. and their score, I guess, showed improvement.. but we thought the show was more solid the night before. I thought there were a couple of tears and some of the drill seemed a little.. well.. sloppy.. not from an execution standpoint, it was just like.. I don't know.. Laziness, I guess. Like they weren't as crisp. But then, we were lower in the stands and maybe our vantage contributed to that.. Still love the show.. Still love everything about it.. it just seemed a little off tonight.

Fourth in my heart: The Madison Scouts.. I'm still having issues with the same things I had issues with last night. I don't hate this show.. but I am not in love with it either. It's not even really something I want to see again. It's like seeing it once, for me, was enough.. I wish I wanted to see it more.. but I don't. I feel like there is a lot of fancy moves.. then playing.. then another fancy move.. then more playing.. particularly in the beginning of the show.. and that gets annoying for me. Bluecoats are running all over the place and playing at volume.. with dynamics and the whole shebang. Madison doesn't employ the same technique and it's something that sticks in my craw. It was a little embarrassing to hear the people behind us, during the drum solo shouting, 'OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THOSE FEET! YESS!!!" when what I was seeing was more along the lines of.. "oh my gooooddddd... LOOK at those FEET! *groan*" Their visual program needs to get better and it needs to get better fast. They're making the pictures.. and that will crisp up.. but their marching is atrocious, IMO. I know they need to get that down before the pictures will click. Kick it into gear, Scouts. I won't see you again until finals.

Fifth in my heart: Pioneer. I think I've expressed myself about this show pretty well. There were some improvements from the night before.. they were a bit cleaner.. they're getting closer to that folding soprano box actually working in the beginning.. but again.. the show is one big long theme of sameness.. I want more diversity in emotion and color. Rachel, my darling sweet girl, you were tremendous.. obviously a leader.. I am so proud of you and glad to see you back on the field after your year in the badlands of Alaska.. You'll see me yet this summer, I promise.

That's it, guys. We did have a little impromptu meeting with hall of famer Dr. David Kampschroer..but I'll like Mike tell that story.. :diva: -- we like the guy, but he had to be set straight.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ON TO DIV I.

FIRST IN MY HEART was *drumroll*

BLUE STARS!! You guys, Blue Stars absolutely STOLE the show tonight.. they were completely on fire. The guard kicked ###. The drums kicked ###. The HORNS came UP INTO THE STANDS and ##### SLAPPED EVERY PERSON SITTING THERE THINKING ANYBODY BUT THE BLUE STARS WERE IN ATTENDANCE THAT NIGHT. I am so not kidding. They actually got a mini ovation in the middle of their show.. a seldom seen creature anymore.. and while it was timid, it was THERE.. they EARNED IT. They absolutely threw down.. then jumped on it .. and stomped it for a while.. then it got up by the threw it down again and beat it into total submission. We were sitting near a friend of mine who marched with me at Kilties and had told them "you guys are REALLY gonna like Blue Stars" and they were like, "yeah okay.. but they'll never beat Scouts" -- and yeah, they didn't beat scouts.. but they had that crowd. My friend and his family leaned in during the ovation and shouted (he had to shout so I could hear over the wailing and screaming from the stands), "OH MY GOD YOU WERE SO RIGHT! THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!" After the show, Mike and I were walking around and we passed a couple of kids wearing Blue Stars jackets and we thanked them for such a phenomenal show. We told them how they really captured the crowd tonight and he thanked us.. but really.. we thank YOU Blue Stars.. This season is brighter and more electric because of you. Turns out, Mike knows this kid -- apparently he knows this kid's dad from when HE marched.. He told me this morning we were talking to "Little Sev" (DCP member "BigSev's" son). See? Drum Corps IS a community!!

Glad to hear that you met my son. He is a great kid and a great representative of not only the Blue Stars but drum corps as a whole.

I have to share a brief story, the Thursday before the Blue Stars left for the start of the competitive season they put on a dress performance in La Crosse. I happened to be in the area (we live in the Dallas, TX area) with my wife and daughter so we made an extra effort to head to La Crosse for this event. I was asked prior to their performance that evening to consider speaking with them after they were done with their show.. After their performance they circled up and the staff gave them their first impressions and then they asked a few alumni to step in and share their thoughts and comments. My message was simple (and the review reflects this) - "all of drum corps is waiting to say to the Blue Stars - welcome back to Division 1 - they want to stand up and applaud and cheer for you - every night you go out on the field prepare to share yourselves musically, emotionally, and enjoy your your experience. If you do this, the audience will respond and will give back to you so much more than you ever expected when you joined this corps"

Your words in this review as well as many other reviews by others on this and other forums, reflect the attitudes of the audience and are fulfilling the vision I believed would happen for the corps this year.

Thanks for your support and wonderful excitement for this group of kids. There is so much talk about where they will finish in the "rankings" come DCI in Madison. But for the majority of the parents, alumni, and others associated with this corps - they've already achieved and exceeded expectiations for this year!

FCO!

Scribetoo, I love your enthusiasm for our Blue Stars. Thanks for your reveiws - they are so enjoyable to read.

I, too, had a similar experience last year at Div II/III finals in Brockton with snotty parents with attitude. We happened to get on a tour bus and ran into some parents of members of other Div II corps. When I told her our son was with Blue Stars, one of the parents actually said to me, "Oh, I don't like their show!" HELLO???!!! Why would someone say that, especially to a PARENT!!?? You know how we are about our kids!! Keep those kinds of comments to yourself!!! Appreciate the hard work that ALL of these corps members put into their craft and at least BE POLITE!!! I am such a mouth anyway but I was so stunned at her rudeness that I just had to ignore her!!!

Fourth in my heart: The Madison Scouts.. I'm still having issues with the same things I had issues with last night. I don't hate this show.. but I am not in love with it either. It's not even really something I want to see again. It's like seeing it once, for me, was enough.. I wish I wanted to see it more.. but I don't. I feel like there is a lot of fancy moves.. then playing.. then another fancy move.. then more playing.. particularly in the beginning of the show.. and that gets annoying for me. Bluecoats are running all over the place and playing at volume.. with dynamics and the whole shebang. Madison doesn't employ the same technique and it's something that sticks in my craw. It was a little embarrassing to hear the people behind us, during the drum solo shouting, 'OH MY GOD! LOOK AT THOSE FEET! YESS!!!" when what I was seeing was more along the lines of.. "oh my gooooddddd... LOOK at those FEET! *groan*" Their visual program needs to get better and it needs to get better fast. They're making the pictures.. and that will crisp up.. but their marching is atrocious, IMO. I know they need to get that down before the pictures will click. Kick it into gear, Scouts. I won't see you again until finals.

Hmmm, in all the time Ive known you Stef I dont think youve ever given the Scouts more than a lukewarm review while Cavies you gush unreservedly over. Some people are Cavie people, some are Scout people, you are the former. Ill withhold judgement however until after this weekend. As for their feet being atrocious, Im fairly certain their feet are neither superb nor atrocious Stef, considering they have a top name writing drill for them this year and they currently hold the 8th highest score in drumcorps this year. All this is academic of course and Im only reacting to your negative view of my boys. If I have to I'll eat my words after Saturday.

Dan - do you have any "conflicting loyalties" as a former Scout and current Kilt?

Just wondering since way back when I was a Plaidster I neither hated/envied other corps nor had any anymosity for them, but instead preferred to take their shows at face value - and probably held the likes of the Cavvies, Troopers, BAC, Des Plaines, Madison, Blue Stars, and many others to higher standards as national championship-level drum corps - thus the interest I still have over drum corps today!

Hmmm, in all the time Ive known you Stef I dont think youve ever given the Scouts more than a lukewarm review while Cavies you gush unreservedly over. Some people are Cavie people, some are Scout people, you are the former. Ill withhold judgement however until after this weekend. As for their feet being atrocious, Im fairly certain their feet are neither superb nor atrocious Stef, considering they have a top name writing drill for them this year and they currently hold the 8th highest score in drumcorps this year. All this is academic of course and Im only reacting to your negative view of my boys. If I have to I'll eat my words after Saturday.

Thank you for POST-ing Dan.

Can someone please explain how the Colts could have a staff member walk out onto the back of the field and direct the ballad and then leave the field and walk behind the fence? It wasn't even like they were trying to hide it as he was wearing blue jeans and a casual dress shirt. I was expecting some sort of penalty for that.

Can someone please explain how the Colts could have a staff member walk out onto the back of the field and direct the ballad and then leave the field and walk behind the fence? It wasn't even like they were trying to hide it as he was wearing blue jeans and a casual dress shirt. I was expecting some sort of penalty for that.

What the? :lol:

In all honesty I don't see a big problem with that. It's not like he came onto the field and marched someones spot.

Dan,

Well, you haven't known me very long after all, huh? I was the biggest Madison homer for the longest time.. and I LONG to adore them again.. they aren't giving me the goods consistently enough for me to do that. And have you forgotten last year? I LOVED their show last year. I thought it needed cleaning and I said the needed to get a basics program that would work ..but I loved it.. I had goosebumps watching it in rehearsal at this very show last year and I believe I even said so in my review. How quickly we forget!

Also, in case you didn't know, Myron Rosander does not teach marching. Myron Rosander writes drill. His drill has nothing to do with their feet being good, bad or boxes on the end of sticks. A great drill is nothing without a good marching technique with which to execute it. For the 8th highest score in the land, I expect better feet and what I got, in light of that expectation was what I consider "atrocious" -- thus the IMO at the end.

And for the record, I said nothing to you about your "lukewarm" response to MY favorite corps, why should you care if my response to the show of your favorite corps is "lukewarm."

I knows what I likes. This ain't it.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

I can't wait to see the Blue Stars in Denver! After watching both Beta Webcasts I think LaCrosse has one of the most accessible and enjoyable shows on the field this year (as well as the Colts). Its pretty obvious that the kids are having a good time performing the show and have really bought into what the Corps is teaching them. Bravo Blue Stars! :lol: Keep it Up!

Jim Wolf

71-77 NJ Black Watch