Bugler's Holiday - Nashua, NH, Review

It was a beautiful evening for a Drum Corps Show and I am very happy I was able to be there. I attended Bugler's Holiday at Nashua, NH, and I highly recommend this show. Nice venue, well-run. Nice mix of Div I,II and III.

Stellos is a beautiful, clean, new-looking stadium with high aluminum stands, reserved seating and a nice astro-turf field. Field is framed by a backdrop of woods and water beyond and the sun sets slowly into the trees. Good lighting for the later corps. Show started on time, ample parking, for all. The corps were parked somewhere off on a side road where you heard not a peep or a beat before-hand and the walk-in looked pretty level. Friendly, helpful people everywhere in red Spartan Staff shirts. The more I see of the Spartan organization, the more I like this corps.

The 4th of July weekend has been a family affair for me for many years, but this year my daughter surprised me by saying that my two oldest grandchildren, a boy (11) and a girl(8), have been asking if they could to go to a drum corps show with me this summer. (heh-heh-heh … All those bedtime stories of the corps have finally paid off.) Since I was not all that far away from Nashua, NH, and nothing that special was going on, I said, "Okay, how about tonight?" We exchanged looks (me with cheesy grin, she with eyes of fire) over the kids heads as they chorused, "Yeah, Mom, how about tonight?" So to make a long story short, she caved and let us escape. My independently-minded daughter, lovely long-legged, hard-throwing, rugged beauty of the softball diamond, never took after me. When she says I am brainwashing my grandchildren, I remind her that I never expected her to march in my footsteps, but that if my grandson, who took up middle school band (trombone) on his own last year should want to pick up a horn, he should be encouraged to pursue his talent, etc, etc, etc.

So, since I did not have tickets, we packed up fast and got on the road. It was a bit of a ride, but they're good kids and I knew they would sleep all the way home. We got to the stadium at 4:30pm, in time to get tickets well before the crowd and scored some pretty good seats. Then I took the hungry crew off to fill up and stretch their legs before start time. Checked the nearby mall, where the Spartans are said to practice, drove by their corps hall, but they were nowhere to be found. Probably at a housing site getting ready.

When we made it back to the stadium, a very long line had formed for tickets, so I am glad we got there earlier and could skirt the crowd and go in. It looked to be pretty much a sell-out crowd at the end and a very enthusiastic audience. I'm pleased to say, my grandkids were very well behaved when I told them they could not move around or chatter during a performance. No need to really, anyway, once each show started their eyes were pretty much riveted to the field. I did have to answer a lot of questions between times.

So if my review is not quite as detailed and focused as usual, l do apologize, but it was great fun to see things through the eyes of a child again.

Spartans played the national anthem as this is their home field. My grandson said their uniforms were very cool. When I told them this was the corps that was playing that video game soundtrack I told him about, he had to check the program again to see when they would come on. He proceeded to tell me about beating Advent Rising and battles with aliens. I tell him I think there will be no aliens on the field tonight, with my fingers crossed behind my back. A friendly red shirt selling 50/50 tickets confirms no aliens as I buy two arm-lengths … one for each kid to hold. Big 50/50 pot. (Alas, we did not win.)

CITATIONS - First corps on was the only Division III corps, Citations. Same classic black uniforms, nice two-tone red and orange on the guard. They have a good sized guard that seems more polished at this point than last year. Their horns and battery are smaller than last year, but they are putting on a good program. They have chosen to go with a NY theatre theme again, called Labors of Love, the Modern Face of Broadway. Opening with "Dance of the Robes" from Aida, they make a favorable impression on the crowd. They have many fans here. You get the feeling they enjoy what they are doing and it is infectious. Their second song is "Seasons of Love" from Rent. The arrangements are good and geared for their level and experience. There is a nice percussion feature in "Another Pyramid/My Strongest Suite" from Aida. Their closer is "Defying Gravity" from Wicked which is a keeper from last year and is their strongest number musically. The drill is not quite complete, but is headed in the right direction. There is some strong individual talent in the horn line. I enjoy watching this corps perform, especially the guard, and look forward to seeing how they come along as the season progresses.

JERSEY SURF - The first of the two Division II corps was Jersey Surf. I've been looking forward to seeing what they would do with Moulin Rouge. I like what they are doing with this. The guard is in light beige, brown and yellow costumes, I think I would call them more peasant-style, than show-girl and I definitely approve. The young ladies look girlish and attractive, even when they add flouncy skirts at the end for the can-can. The guard guys look okay, too. They have some very lovely flags and use them well. The guard is huge. The horn-line is also pretty huge and it has a nice sound. The battery and pit are also good sized. I just do not take the time to count, but they must have at least 120 members total, maybe more. The battery made much more of an impression on me this year. I am not a percussionist, so take that to mean they must be much improved.

They open with a good arrangement of "Nature Boy." The drill has a lot of movement in it somehow without being linear or having really defined forms. It surges. Flags are beige with a green leaf pattern, I believe, and are spread out to encompass the whole field … actually, this is the case throughout most of the show. The crowd immediately loves everything about them. They move into a well-toned, slow dance mode for "El Tango de Roxanne". Quite a few horn players lay down the horns and join the male guard members in dancing briefly with the guard, but the overall sound is not much affected. It is a tasteful, youth-minded rendition of the subject. And again, everybody loves it. They move on to my personal favorite of their show, the ballad, "Your Song." Beautiful arranging, well suited to this corps. It is a really nice moment musically and visually. I believe it is here that there is a nice guard couple feature, but my memory may be placing it in the wrong song.

Their closer is the previously mentioned "Can-Can". This is the kind of lively, energetic ending I've come to enjoy from Surf. The girls in their added skirts are flirty and fun in a good way. They flipped skirts in the end and my granddaughter did ask me why they showed their underwear. Because they wanted to show their pretty underskirts? We talked about different dance recitals she's been in and such for a minute or two and she got the idea it was okay and all part of the show..

I think this is the best Surf show I've seen in years. There are some upper body and drill issues to work out, some blending and phrasing in the horn sound to clean, some percussion work to be done. but I think they could take this much closer to the top than many are expecting. Go get 'em, Surf!

SPARTANS - Next on was the host corps, The Spartans. They are still wearing their classy black military style jackets with red accents and cream pants. Did I tell everyone before how much I like white legs and feet in drill? Okay, you don't want to hear it again. They look sharp and their upper body, though I detect a change in elbows, is controlled. Those horns are on target. Those feet are in step. The Spartans have presence.

I'd say they are at about the same size as last year, although I have the feeling there are many rookies ... competent, eager, hard-working rookies. This I'd say is especially true in the battery of 7 snares, 4 tenors, 5 bass and 4 plates. The snares are already a bonded band of brothers and they are tight. The plates are eye catching. The tenors and bass are almost there. Even I can see this is going to be a solid drumline.

The guard is as beautiful as ever. Their colors again compliment the corps proper and are maroon on the bottom and graduate in lighter stripes upward. There is some kind of black belts and buckles. These uniforms look good on all, including the guys. Flags are again eye-catching and good for day shows, especially the bright yellow with a sunburst for the closer. Some nice rifle and saber work. Timing is good all around in the guard. Some artistic dance moves, particularly in the ballad. There is still some issues here, but this guard is too committed not to work them out.

There is a nice blending of sound coming together in the hornline this year, though it has lost none of it's in your face in the key of G volume. I think there was a contra injury somewhere on the sidelines for the show, because I thought I glimpsed seven and then there were six, with a hole in the drill. The hole stood out only because the forms were quite clean for this time of year. Contras and lead baritones are carrying the low brass right now. The low brass has a really meaty part in this music. There may be a few less baritones this year. Were I of the right age and kicking myself for not marching this year and an experienced low-brass player who could hack the drill and had the time and cash and commitment, I'd get me to Nashua right now and beg them to take me on. Ten mellos, good tone, nice phrasing and they are probably the best balanced from upper to lower right now. Soprano line has a nice soloist and lead sound. A lot of rookies in the hornline, too, I'd say, but they are talented and they are being taught well. This is a hornline to be reckoned with.

Oh ... the show: The music, as I said, is a video game soundtrack with good orchestral sheets, Advent Rising by Tommy Tallarico, who appears to be a house-hold name with the younger set, if my grandkids are typical. It was ably arranged for drum corps by Key Poulan, who left his mark on it without altering it's original character.

The Spartans open with a backfield horn feature. Guard guy conducting backfield for the opener in unison with last year's drum major, who conducted one-armed tonght with the other in a cast, I think, tucked in back. Very classy drum-major. There was an echo group and then a third group repeat that swings into a front center soprano solo and small group ensemble, two sopranos, one mello, two baritones, one contra. Some nice visuals going on behind the front group. Eerie tube effect going on in the pit. The pit of ten is competent and working well together throughout. Very effective opener.

There is a hero quest in this show ... brooding, conflict, inner turmoil, anger, pain, strife and it is looking for resolution. There are no aliens or mock battle scenes. The story is told in music and drill. I'd say the changing soloists must represent the hero. I was looking for more resolution in the end, but my grandson told me that this is the first episode of a trilogy game and it is left hanging at the end. Hmmm.

The first two movements are named "Bounty Hunter" and "Stolen Transport" and there is no real break between the two. The music is dark and driving and the phrasing is solid. So is the drill. Lots of hard to hold curves and moving lines, few rests and it is coming clean. They are hitting the impact points.

The ballad is called "Glorious Human" and features the lovely guard and some really nice soundwork coming from the pit. Mello solo ... listen for that last note; it is a beauty. Some nice staging here. There is a long diagonal line from left front to back right, with the guard moving from front to the center. I was looking for more visual impact, like flags or something, from the guard here when they reached center. Maybe later in the summer. Horns at left go into next movement without again much of a break. Solid baritone solo standing with upper brass kneeling in front. Nice. This movement is called Aurelian Conflict and it has a lot of tension and release. It flows right into a fast paced last movement called "Canyon Encounter" which is hard-driving to the end. A parent near me said that the drill appeared to have many changes since their first show last weekend. Somewhere in here the hard driving hornline is surging back and forth and around the field and they are doing a good early season job of keeping up with the pace and maintaining their sound. As they all build strength as the season goes on this should become amazing.

Yes ... I like this show. I like this corps. Last year I was proud to stand as a fan with them to the end. I can see myself standing with them again at the end of the summer. This has the potential to carry them all the way. They know what it takes and how to get it done. They are The Spartans.

SOUTHWIND - There was no unnecessary intermission and the first of the three Division I corps came on: Southwind. The show is called Duality. They opened with a wonderful diagonal cross, uniforms white with black on one side and black with white on the other. Looked utterly amazing on this field with the shadows and light from the setting sun. Black and white hard shaped shakos to represent Ying and Yang. Same symbol featured on one of the flags in the early movements. Guard opens in unitards that are half gray and half dark lavender splitting the body side to side. Eh ... okay. Beautiful flags. The only other thing I am going to say about the guard is ... I'm sorry, but I was really embarrassed to have my grandchildren sitting next to me when they pealed off the outer layer. I am really making an effort to restrain myself here and I am getting tense. Ohmmm ... I liked the hornline. They were loud. They opened with Firebird Suite. It was good. There is a lot of familiar music in their show: Claire de Lune, In the Spring When Kings Go off To War, Profanation from Jeremiah, Jutras' Incantation, Pie Jesu, Lost in the Darkness from Jekyll and Hyde. I liked the way the Holsinger piece fit in the best. It had elements of another piece in it. Firebird Suite, I think? It was well done and suited this corps level and ability. I enjoyed the opening and closer. Some nice pit music in Clare de Lune. There may be some major arranging issues here. The hornline is making a good effort. So is the percussion. Actually, this should be said for the entire corps. These are very talented kids who are striving for excellence and I applaud their efforts.

BOSTON CRUSADERS - Boston Crusaders were next on the field. Boston always puts on a program you know you can trust. Classic Boston red and black uniform. Very nice guard costumes this year. They are dark maroon on the bottom and a much lighter shade on top with a red arch design that matches the theme. As usual, nice silks, used proficiently.

This show is the best BAC I've seen since Red. It is called Cathedrals of the Mind and is a thinking person's concept. I really, really like it and hope to see them move up some spots. There are the much mentioned arches scattered on the field at the start. The guard uses these for staging, disappearing and appearing behind them throughout, bright forms drifting through the shadows. Effective touches.

The repertoire opens with "Windmills of Your Mind" which is a song I've been waiting years to hear on a drum corps field. A hauntingly, lovely arrangement. Hornline is heading for excellent this year. I am wishing to see some greater windmill effect somewhere, somehow with the arches perhaps. It needs a little more sweep and swirl and circle to match the music. There are soprano solos and voices speaking throughout all the music and they are wonderful. The low brass is filling it's part nicely. In Blue Cathedral, the arches moved to form a long line at center yard line, open in front and graduating backward. More guard members moving as if through cloisters. The sound was lush. This was my favorite music piece for them. They finish with more Higdon, Concerto for Orchestra. There are some zigs and zags here in the music that built and released and I realize now I didn't quite catch it all. I want to see this show again and again (now, please) to catch what I have missed. The finale had the arches closed down the line and there was a turn towards the left diagonal for the slow finish. Visuals were perfect. It was haunting and absolutely beautiful. There was an actual sound vibration to the hushed silence of the finish. The finest moment of the night. Breathtaking.

SPIRIT OF JSU - Spirit closed the music program of the night with a grand flourish. The show title is "Old, New, Borrowed & Blue". This program was well-received by the audience which included obviously large numbers of Crusader fans. The repertoire opens with Old Man River and That Old Black Magic. In this Spirit has recaptured that old magic they cast forever into our minds years ago. The colors and costuming is vibrant and lush and beautiful and, as expected, predominantly blue. My favorite guard uniform of the night. The hornline is huge and there are standout high soprano voices and an very good baritone soloist. Some nice mello accents. Some really nice phrasing.

This program moves and sweeps in grand tradition. The memorable new is "On the Lake" from the Notebook and Buddy Rich's Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters. I am not too familiar with the first piece and am reserving comment for a later time. Mushroom Hunters was a fine rendition. I recall that this has been done by others, but Spirit is doing it best. They expanded more on the blue theme with Arlen and Mercer's Blues in The Night, another old Spirit gem. Then into Blue Shades by Tichelli and they finished with a grand flourish recapping Old Man River. Wonderful energy and flagwork in the closer. At this point it was just flowing and sweeping the crowd along.

I apologize for the lateness of this review and feel I have not done justice to the Division I corps. Most of these programs are really so complex, though, that they are hard to take in in one show. Suffice it to say that they have left me wanting more and will be bringing me back soon. And, as always, I'll be waiting there at Allentown.

This show was a good way to start off my drum corps summer and I hope to come back next year.

The show ended early enough (although I would have an enjoyed an encore) for me to get the kids back home a little after midnight.

Oh ... and the grandkids loved everything about their first drum corps experience. My grandson is fired up and already wanting to trade his trombone for a contra. Of course, you know, one of those is almost as big as he is right now, so he's got a lot of growing and building up to do. My dance-school loving grand-daughter wants a one of those pretty flags now. Ahhh, you know we visited the souvie booths on the way out and my daughter was soooo pleased to see what I had bought them. You know they enjoyed the quiet evening to themselves, though, as my son-in-law said, sure anytime, when they said they wanted to go again soon.

Thanks to all the corps and to the Spartans people for the nice time,

I am just a member of the old guard.

[edited for typos]

Edited by oldguard

Very nice review Old Guard! Thanks for the detail and taking the time. We'll look forward to seeing your grandson in a corps in a few years!! :)

I second that, great review! What a nice 4th with the grandchildren, I'm sure they'll remember that forever. And I hope we see that dance-loving granddaughter in a great guard, too!

What an in depth, well written, review ! I like reading these reviews. Reviewers like yourself see and hear things in the show that maybe people like me may have missed if we already saw these Corps. Some of these Corps in these reviews I hope to see again, and I'll try to observe some of these things mentioned in these reviews. I learned a lot more about these corps from reading your review here. Thanks for that !

Edited by X DM

Great Review! Thanks for the equal attention to all corps - small and large, I, II and III.

Harvey

Thanks for the in depth review! Especially liked the description of the stadium and the build up to the show (you have a bit of Garrison Keillor in you) Great description of the shows , and appreciated the attention given to all of the corps!

Congratulations to you on a wonderful day with your grandkids...

Here are some pictures from the Nashua, NH show: Nashua Pictures

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. They give new meaning to the old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words." I also enjoyed your albums from other shows.

Thanks, also, to those who have offered kind words regarding my review, including those who have sent private comments.

A special note to those several corps members who have PM'd me:

Please excuse me if I do not respond individually as I am uncomfortable exchanging private messages with young people via the internet. I do, however, enjoy hearing your thoughts. You have given your audience so much through your performances, I am pleased to know you feel your efforts are appreciated and enjoyed and that my reviews may encourage you.

I am just a member of the old guard.