Argh...all ensemble sound is just too trumpet heavy now with Bb

Uggh. Sometimes I just don't know about the direction DCI and drum corps in general is heading.

Well, as long as we're making a bunch of changes to drum corps, I think they should add in visual effects that utilize lighting. I remember seeing either BlackWatch or the Coldstream Guards from Europe a few years back. They were doing a US tour inside of arenas. Think I saw them at the Staple Center or somewhere in the L.A. area. Anyways, they started their show in the dark, with really low chords being played. Deep, dark low brass sound. At the moment of impact, BAM, the lights came on. They utilized a lot of lighting effects during their show. Cool stuff. Yes, I know. Drum corps can't do that, especially the ones that perform in the daytime. And the stadiums probably would not like you turning their lights on and off :)

But that might be cool for a touring corps, like when BD or whoever goes to Europe for part of their season. Do an 11.5 minute druum corps show, sure... but add in some electroninc effects using triggered drum pads, synthesizers; throw in some lighting effects, utitlizing the dark, then light. POW!! Smoke machines!! Yes, yes. Fireworks!!! 2 or 3 uniform changes. And well, I guess since it's now needed, mic the frickin low brass!!! YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS Sir!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the Renegades and a few others in DCI/DCA are still in G. :)

Empire Statesmen - and last Saturday, that was the most fun I've had at a show in a very long time thanks to Empire.........

Well, as long as we're making a bunch of changes to drum corps, I think they should add in visual effects that utilize lighting. I remember seeing either BlackWatch or the Coldstream Guards from Europe a few years back. They were doing a US tour inside of arenas. Think I saw them at the Staple Center or somewhere in the L.A. area. Anyways, they started their show in the dark, with really low chords being played. Deep, dark low brass sound. At the moment of impact, BAM, the lights came on. They utilized a lot of lighting effects during their show. Cool stuff. Yes, I know. Drum corps can't do that, especially the ones that perform in the daytime. And the stadiums probably would not like you turning their lights on and off :)

But that might be cool for a touring corps, like when BD or whoever goes to Europe for part of their season. Do an 11.5 minute druum corps show, sure... but add in some electroninc effects using triggered drum pads, synthesizers; throw in some lighting effects, utitlizing the dark, then light. POW!! Smoke machines!! Yes, yes. Fireworks!!! 2 or 3 uniform changes. And well, I guess since it's now needed, mic the frickin low brass!!! YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS Sir!!

Quick - delete this man's post before Hoppy reads it! :rock:

Perhaps blast! was more ahead of its time than we knew.

I can see a lot of the "elite" units going to this approach, with smaller sized corps for indoor shows. After all, Hop lamented not having spotlights last year, among other things. I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility to see the Cadets and Blue Devils do something like this in the next 10-15 years, with others following. There's already a tremendous amount of homage to the WGI style of show out there in DCI, just look at the Cadets and Blue Devils productions over the past few years.

That may have the added benefit of keeping the outdoor style of drum corps around as well, albeit at a more localized level.

Edited by bawker

The first few Bb hornlines, I would agree. Not lately, though; the balance has been good in the vast majority of the lines I've heard. There's no magic to either key that makes the hornlines "more balanced," just like there's no magic that makes a certain key louder. It's just the way things shake out in a particular line as a result of quality of equipment, instruction, talent and arranging.

to me, since Bb came out, the corps that have best managed to get that G power feeling have been SCV, BD, Phantom, Bucs and Cabs.

I think the thing that makes Bbs superior to Gs is how smooth the brass can play. The note transitions always seemed to pop out too much with the Gs. Now they can play much more musically, as in more emphasis on the transition between different notes.