The untold influence of drum corps

So I had PBS on in the background and all of a sudden I hear Cavies 2000. My attention immediately shifted to the TV. There was a program about Niagara Falls on and the music was (fittingly) Michael Daughtry's Niagara Falls. My question is, has anyone else had something similar happen? Where their attention was immediately shifted because they heard something they recognized from drum corps.

Now they are interviewing Mr. Daughtry about why he wrote the piece. Very interesting.

Happens all the time to me....wife and I are out somewhere...I hear a tune that a corps has played....I zone out until I figure the corps and year....SAY the corps and year....get slapped.

Lather....rinse...repeat....

Happens all the time to me....wife and I are out somewhere...I hear a tune that a corps has played....I zone out until I figure the corps and year....SAY the corps and year....get slapped.

Lather....rinse...repeat....

Heh! Yeah I do that too. "Hey Hon do you remember when Phantom played this in '82?" and then I wonder why I get the Y-A look.

Y-A - "you @.. hole"

It usually happens to me at a Mexican restaurant when I hear Malaguena or Malaga on their music system.

Wow, his piece is getting a lot of play (and analysis from the composer) in this show. I think I'm going to keep watching.

ALL the time... let's name a few:

"Pagliacci" - I think of Bridgemen or Phantom

"Everybodies Everything" by Santana - I think of Kilts

"Appalachian Spring" - I think of SCV

"Channel One Suite" by Buddy Rich - I think of Blue Devils

"Greensleeves" & "Danny Boy" - Guardsmen & 27th

and even "Rocky" or "Star Wars" - Madison & 27th ...

I don't even really equate the actual pieces with the movies, albums or orchestrations the came from without first thinking about the corps that played them...

Kinda funny!

This happened to me last weekend. My girlfriend and I were in a restraunt when Moondance started playing. I knew I had played it before, and while she was talking to me I just kinda phased out trying to figure out where I had played it and what the name of it was. When I finally figured it out I said "Hey! This is Moondance!" and she realized I hadn't been paying attention... :rock:

Luckily I have a very understanding girlfriend :D

HA! Just today I was driving down the road and the car in front of me had a blue bumpersticker with what looked like a delta on it. I sped up to get a closer look....sure enough, it was a Spirit Bumper sticker. Small world.

I remember not to long ago there was this commercial for some car show or something like that and BD's "Ditty" Came on, and i was like "WHHHATTT!!!...oh, its just a commercial...haha"

talk about random

HA! Just today I was driving down the road and the car in front of me had a blue bumpersticker with what looked like a delta on it. I sped up to get a closer look....sure enough, it was a Spirit Bumper sticker. Small world.

Speaking of a delta; there was a recent delta airlines commercial (at least i think it was) that played american in paris. everytime i hear it all i can think of is phantom.