The season almost half over and I'm tired of hearing

I never, in any way, argued that DCI causes fewer community based corps. I have no clue why there arent anymore, hence no reason to speculate. But, if someone makes a claim of "90" % anything so bold and direct, I assume they have the facts to back it up, and not pulling it out of the air.

~G~

Very true.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats really black and white. Where do you get your statistics from ?? btw, fwiw, they play video games becuase they are easily available, cant gauge that success or failure on community based corps 'cause really, there arent any ......

~G~

When was the last time you were a teenager? How many teenager friends have you had in the last 5 years?

The 90% thing was an exaggeration, but the statement that kids have other things to do comes from the fact I was their age a year ago, and there are plenty of things to do that don't involve working your ### off every day

"Reasonable Driving Distance":

And, my pretties, may I respectfully ask: WHOOSE FAULT IS THAT!!!!!! Can't blame the veterans, the World Open, the CYO or any of the long gone circuits anymore....

Care to guess "Who's Left'"?

Elphaba

The economy maybe? or a million other factors in the US today?

Don't try to act like DCI is the only possible culprit because that is a serious case of tunnel vision.

When was the last time you were a teenager? How many teenager friends have you had in the last 5 years?

The 90% thing was an exaggeration, but the statement that kids have other things to do comes from the fact I was their age a year ago, and there are plenty of things to do that don't involve working your ### off every day

And paying big money to do it; that's a factor that often gets overlooked. I think a lot of kids these days have areas where they're willing to spend their money . . . and drum corps may not be it for most of them.

And paying big money to do it; that's a factor that often gets overlooked. I think a lot of kids these days have areas where they're willing to spend their money . . . and drum corps may not be it for most of them.

I would agree that that is another reason, although I've seen multiple people more well off than myself use money as an excuse, when it was really "I don't want to do that badly enough"

I would agree that that is another reason, although I've seen multiple people more well off than myself use money as an excuse, when it was really "I don't want to do that badly enough"

True. But conversely, I've also seen people who really did want to do drum corps, but couldn't afford it. Or, at least, their parents were not willing to fork out that kind of money for them to do it.

True. But conversely, I've also seen people who really did want to do drum corps, but couldn't afford it. Or, at least, their parents were not willing to fork out that kind of money for them to do it.

I've seen that as well. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I've seen the other more often

:worthy::ph34r::rock:

Finally a voice of reason in a barren chatroom. Everything must evolve. I am glad most of those here were not around when drum corps was making real changes. IE; Valves instead of rotary. The addition of The Alto (French Horn) Contra, the Pit. guard work, GE scores, qualified judges, weekday shows. seeing a corps from another part of the country.

Listen to Drum Corps from the 50s, and 60s. Horn lines played out of tune, they would overblow, play the same songs 3 years in a row, Color Guards marching in line and doing little flag work. The highlight of a drum corps show, Troopers Circle or Santa Clara Bottle Dance.

If you lived in Midwest you never saw The Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sacrament or Garfield Cadets unless you went to a Nationals competition.

Stop complaining enjoy the activity or take up fishing as a summer hobby

For some the cost is a deterrant, and it doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. They just don't want to pay THAT much to be able to do DCI big time touring. Sonds like me when I bid on eBay. I can afford to pay more but once an item goes over the amount I think is worth while *pffft*.

Those folks should be honest enough to say it's both.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari