The season almost half over and I'm tired of hearing

And there would be 15-20% of the corps missing after VFW's as kids went off to school. I remember marching States in Wildwood the week after Labor Day with 20+ holes in the show.

"20+ Holes"

Yeah, but there was still a "States" at Wildwood, there was still a Championship, and there was (And Is) still Kelly's..... :worthy:

Elphaba

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sister,

DCI didn't.. the corps did. The majority of their members started coming from out of state.. many were HS and College students whose school years started earlier and earlier.. and ended later and later (the prep schools father sent me to before I came to Shiz all started as early as the third week of August and finished the first week of June!)

Chicken? Egg? Is there really any use in laying blame for a shortened season? External factors are as much to blame as anything else.

Nessa

WWE

Sister Nessa:

So GOOD to hear from you. You MUST catch me up on brother "Shell". Understand he has done quite well for himself, taking over as the new "Emporer Wizard". Even calls himself the "First Spear".

I well remember the boarding schools we were sent to, and the experience at "Shiz". I never let it interfere with drum corps though. Where there was a will, there always was a way....

Best regards to all in the Emerald City.

Your Sister

Elphaba

There are multiple reasons that community corps aren't thriving now, and I would say the biggest being that kids have other things to do with their time these days. 90% of them would rather stay at home and play video games than march in a local drum corps.

Wow, thats really black and white. Where do you get your statistics from ?? btw, fwiw, they play video games becuase they are easily available, cant gauge that success or failure on community based corps 'cause really, there arent any ......

~G~

The seasons almost half over and I'm tired of hearing: A girl in a black dress and heels, holding a microphone and singing through the first two movements of a drum corps show, covering up a beautiful song. So far every show I go to , she is there....

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

It's also really black and white to say that DCI is what causes fewer community based corps. It's all speculation. Yes, G, even what you say. :worthy:

I never, in any way, argued that DCI causes fewer community based corps. I have no clue why there arent anymore, hence no reason to speculate. But, if someone makes a claim of "90" % anything so bold and direct, I assume they have the facts to back it up, and not pulling it out of the air.

~G~

Sister Nessa:

So GOOD to hear from you. You MUST catch me up on brother "Shell". Understand he has done quite well for himself, taking over as the new "Emporer Wizard". Even calls himself the "First Spear".

I well remember the boarding schools we were sent to, and the experience at "Shiz". I never let it interfere with drum corps though. Where there was a will, there always was a way....

Best regards to all in the Emerald City.

Your Sister

Elphaba

I don't take drugs, but after reading this I feel like I'm now high enough to be hired onto the Cadets design team. :worthy:

I never, in any way, argued that DCI causes fewer community based corps. I have no clue why there arent anymore, hence no reason to speculate. But, if someone makes a claim of "90" % anything so bold and direct, I assume they have the facts to back it up, and not pulling it out of the air.

~G~

Of course, 90% was likely a figure of speak, like saying that Cavaliers show in 1998 was "a thousand times better" than in 1997. :)

Of course, 90% was likely a figure of speak, like saying that Cavaliers show in 1998 was "a thousand times better" than in 1997. :)

You mean, it wasn't ??? :worthy:

~G~

Matt, Im so mad at you right now (LOL). I was supposed to be at Indy today but due to sudden work commitments I had to cut my "tour" early !..So now, Ill have to add San Antonio to the mix.

Have fun !

I'm mad at you! You'll get to catch BK, SCV and Phantom. I really wish those corps could be in Indy as well.

Ah well, Indy's still the biggest show of the season so far. Niener, niener :worthy:

Edited by Maedhros