What's with all the negativity?

Or ... just maybe ... most of the ticket-buying fans still like what they see & hear?

Then those ticket-buyers have to make up for the lost income of anyone who decided to no longer support DCI's recent changes.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say that the top corps aren't learning from their mistakes. Look at BD 05 vs BD 06. Cadets 04 vs Cadets 05. Cavies 03 vs Cavies 04

Well, that's true, but not quite what I mean. I just mean that it seems from my perspective it seems like the top corps are determined to push their show design in a certain direction in spite of how viewers might react. AKA, "designing a show for the judges." All a matter of opinion, of course, but my point is that we're seeing changes now that are sending quite a few people who normally support the modern activity to the other side. Just a couple years ago I and all of the folks that are around my age that marched in the late 90s/early 2000s had little trouble standing squarely on the side of what drum corps was becoming; years like 2002 and 2003 were, to us, years full of great new shows and lots of creativity. Yet the introduction of what is, as you pointed out, a relatively rarely-used design element, has been enough to drive large numbers of us to the negative side.

Well, that's true, but not quite what I mean. I just mean that it seems from my perspective it seems like the top corps are determined to push their show design in a certain direction in spite of how viewers might react. AKA, "designing a show for the judges." All a matter of opinion, of course, but my point is that we're seeing changes now that are sending quite a few people who normally support the modern activity to the other side. Just a couple years ago I and all of the folks that are around my age that marched in the late 90s/early 2000s had little trouble standing squarely on the side of what drum corps was becoming; years like 2002 and 2003 were, to us, years full of great new shows and lots of creativity. Yet the introduction of what is, as you pointed out, a relatively rarely-used design element, has been enough to drive large numbers of us to the negative side.

I won't say that I don't disagree with some of the GE judging in DCI today.

If I was a fan of disco I might like that. Maybe fans of classical could add a classical verse, and jazz fans could have a jazz verse. Kinda like how people who hate amplified voice have the Cavaliers and Madison, and people who think it can be tastefully done have the Cadets and Crossmen. Different strokes for different folks, and the corps are adding more variety so that there is something for everyone.

Can you imagine the result in the USA if it actually happened? Your country is fierce in it's patriotism and respect for traditions (not knocking it - in fact it's admirable). Nobody would be saying "different strokes"......

And if amps do end up killing the drum corps that rely on them, I guess the amp haters will have proven their point? If George Hopkins is so dead set on using amplified voice, why not let him fall on his face if it's going to be so bad for the Cadets?

Because, in spite of how much I hate what the Cadets are moving towards, I respect the Cadets as an institution in DCI and I don't want to see a point proven at the expense of 135 kids.

I honestly haven't seen their show from last year because I'm too poor to afford the DVDs right now and I was marching last year.

However, from the looks of this year it seems they learned from their mistakes and failures. If amplified voice is so horrible I think it'll be a problem that clears itself up in the next few years.

As I have said elsewhere - you missed a great corps that was not recieved as it deserved because of the voice issue. Just like Cadets this year (which I have not seen) - tons of talent, overshadowed by the narrative "cheese". It really was too bad IMHO.

And yes - I am an SCV fan and if Vanguard narrates or sings into a mic I will be just as upset. In fact, I'll be more upset.

This negativity thread has morphed into - guess what? - yet another amps thread. I think that's indicative of something.

Jim

Just like when grounded pits started :P

Not for me - I continued through grounded pits, dancing guards, Bb horns yada yada, liked some of it, didn't like some of it, didn't care either way about some of it. But this year I'm only going to 1 DCI show, and it's Div 2-3. I am, however going to DCA more than I have in a long time.

Cheers

Jim

Lately, more than ever, I've noticed that this forum has leaned toward the negative side of conversation. People are disgusted at amps, Bb horns, uniform discussions, the Cadets, etc. I think many of you need to put yourself in front of the corps you may be speaking about and ask yourself whether or not you would say these things to their faces. Would you really stand in front of the Cadets and say, "I can't stand you or your program," or, "You are not Scouts, you just wear a uniform and ride a bus that says Scouts on it." Why can't we all just be a little more positive and realize that drum corps has and will always go through periods of change? Now I know you cannot be totally positive about everything but you can try and make the best of it; that's what we all tried to learn while being actively involved in this activity. I'm not trying to stand on a soapbox here but the negativity here is really getting some of us down here. Thank you.

LOL. wasnt there a same exact thread like this before I left on Monday Morning ?? Why is this allowed, but the "negativity" not "hi-fi" ?? Too bad everyone cant like everything, and they dont. Believe me, some "holier than thou" posters who like to decree that "DCP" is not the real world" would be shocked at what the "real world" really thinks of Cadets and their antics and amplification and singing, and black dresses and high heels..etc...etc......this moderated board doesnt hold a candle to "reality"

Maybe instead of callin responses negative one should question the value of a program like the Cadets are presenting.....ie: If a bomb dropped today on NYC and it was done by the N. Koreans, you wouldnt hear or read too many nice things about the N. Koreans in the upcoming weeks, no ??? Would you then start a thread about why all the negativity towards the N. Koreans ??

Jeez......

~G~

LOL. wasnt there a same exact thread like this before I left on Monday Morning ?? Why is this allowed, but the "negativity" not "hi-fi" ?? Too bad everyone cant like everything, and they dont. Believe me, some "holier than thou" posters who like to decree that "DCP" is not the real world" would be shocked at what the "real world" really thinks of Cadets and their antics and amplification and singing, and black dresses and high heels..etc...etc......this moderated board doesnt hold a candle to "reality"

Maybe instead of callin responses negative one should question the value of a program like the Cadets are presenting.....ie: If a bomb dropped today on NYC and it was done by the N. Koreans, you wouldnt hear or read too many nice things about the N. Koreans in the upcoming weeks, no ??? Would you then start a thread about why all the negativity towards the N. Koreans ??

Jeez......

~G~

It's not just Cadets - I was surprised at the response on all the uniform changes - a lot of negativity there. It seems like folks are just overloaded with change. The voice thing isn't new but it seems the debate is more intense this year. Are we just burning out on the rate of changes or are all DCP'ers just grumpy by nature? Goobers or Raisinettes - ain't that the eternal question??? ($1 to Fowlmouth)...

You have to understand that DCP is the very vocal hard core section of drum corps fans. When I was at Westminster the Cadets and Crossmen were both very well received by the general fan populace at least from where I was standing.

Wow - the YEA! corps were well received at a YEA! home show? Guess that proves....nothing.