What's with all the negativity?

Yes, things change. But things should always change for the better. Change for the better ideal, but change for the worse is devestating. I'd be hard pressed to find a single fan that would rather see things change for the worse than stay good, just so they could change.

And the idea is quite simple, really: there are many drum corps fans on this board who feel things are changing for the worse. As in, the quality of shows put on the field doesn't match what it was 15 years ago. And because of the many radical, changes that are adding foreign elements to the activity, like amplified singing of rock and roll songs, and spouting of lines like characters in a play, change for the worse is occurring. This means that shows could be exponentially more enjoyable than they are now, but the directors decide not to take them in that direction.

The bottom line is, there are fans who have enjoyed the activity more in the past than they are now, and as long as there is a way to reverse the trend (allow fans to enjoy DCI more and more each year, eclipsing all other years), we'll argue about it and express our dissatisfaction.

I think you beg an interesting question: Is DCI a Fan-Based Activity, or is it a Participant/Member-Based Activity?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is, there are fans who have enjoyed the activity more in the past than they are now,

And vice-versa ... whether some of us like it or not.

P.S. At least I'm enjoying myself a lot more at DCI shows nowadays than I was for a few seasons during the second half of the 1990s. I almost gave up, but the entertainment factor, IMO, began creeping back in during the '99 & '00 seasons, and in recent years I'm almost as happy with the on-field product, with a few exceptions, as I ever was back in the 80s and early 90s. That's just me, tho.

I think you beg an interesting question: Is DCI a Fan-Based Activity, or is it a Participant/Member-Based Activity?

It's gotta be both. If it's not a good experience for the members, they'll stop marching ... but if the fans stop coming to shows, there'll be no way to pay the bills.

Yes, things change. But things should always change for the better. Change for the better ideal, but change for the worse is devestating. I'd be hard pressed to find a single fan that would rather see things change for the worse than stay good, just so they could change.

And the idea is quite simple, really: there are many drum corps fans on this board who feel things are changing for the worse. As in, the quality of shows put on the field doesn't match what it was 15 years ago. And because of the many radical, changes that are adding foreign elements to the activity, like amplified singing of rock and roll songs, and spouting of lines like characters in a play, change for the worse is occurring. This means that shows could be exponentially more enjoyable than they are now, but the directors decide not to take them in that direction.

The bottom line is, there are fans who have enjoyed the activity more in the past than they are now, and as long as there is a way to reverse the trend (allow fans to enjoy DCI more and more each year, eclipsing all other years), we'll argue about it and express our dissatisfaction.

I'm glad you make this distinction. While a lot of people seem to be upset abjout all these changes on this board, most people who attend any show in any part of America is likely to say "what's the big deal?" (or, "where are all the majorettes? I WANNA SEE SOME FIRE!!!!") But, I would dare say that this board does not represent the MAJORITY of the DCI audience's opinion. Even if they do, It seems the purpose of all these changes is to bring new people into the activity; people who don't carry so much personal baggage about "what drum corps should be". Growth does require certain sacrifice, and I think most of the changes are for the better.

I would say that, for most people on this board, that thye would never enjoy a show that involved narraration. Their loss. I'm not gonna go into the "think of the children" schtick because a lot of you guys scoff as that, but all the members of The Cadets knew full well what they were getting into; it's not like they are the only corps to exist. If you let that part of a show hold you back from enjoying a show, then you fail, and have lost the meaning of drum corps.

I felt the same way. The thing is, I know mods have the ability to track IP addresses, and snoop out the people posting on more than one name. Why not simply make such activity illegal? Or at least do something about it when it becomes a problem, when you know that one name is being used just to cause havoc. I don't know how much work it is to find that information out, but it seems like this is something we should be able to police.

Most people do not have a static IP address. Most DSL providers charge extra for a static IP so people opt out of it. Everytime I connect to the internet from home, I get assigned a different IP address so there wouldn't be a way to track that. At work, my IP is static so it could be tracked.

EDIT - and I find the whole situation unspeakably sad. I think the members will be hurt in the long run if this continues.

This is along the same lines of "if you're against the war in Iraq and are vocal about it, it will hurt the troops morale". This can only be true if ALL of the troops are FOR the war. In the drum corps case, it would only be true if all the corps members are happy with EVERYTHING. I'm sure some of the dissenting opinions are ALSO the opinions of some corps members who may not feel like they can be vocal about their opinions. Either way, the opinions should be able to come out.

Most people do not have a static IP address. Most DSL providers charge extra for a static IP so people opt out of it. Everytime I connect to the internet from home, I get assigned a different IP address so there wouldn't be a way to track that. At work, my IP is static so it could be tracked.

This is true...but the odds of two IP addresses being assigned to two different people with dynamic IP addresses is low...so when you notice that two DCP screen names originate from the same IP address, it is either an astounding coincidence, or someone using a second screen name.

I felt the same way. The thing is, I know mods have the ability to track IP addresses, and snoop out the people posting on more than one name. Why not simply make such activity illegal? Or at least do something about it when it becomes a problem, when you know that one name is being used just to cause havoc. I don't know how much work it is to find that information out, but it seems like this is something we should be able to police.

Being a mod myself...though a pretty poor one...I know that sort of thing is done...esp when there is a problem.

This is along the same lines of "if you're against the war in Iraq and are vocal about it, it will hurt the troops morale". This can only be true if ALL of the troops are FOR the war. In the drum corps case, it would only be true if all the corps members are happy with EVERYTHING. I'm sure some of the dissenting opinions are ALSO the opinions of some corps members who may not feel like they can be vocal about their opinions. Either way, the opinions should be able to come out.

I don't think he meant that the criticism/negativity is ultimatley detrimental to the members, but that it is the continuation of the changes in DCI (narration, etc) that will do the damage down the road. That's the way I took it, anyway -- could be wrong.

btw, not necessarily saying I agree or disagree, just clarifying his point. I think. :P