More DCI Atlanta questions...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in Atlanta for the weekend....I'll be visiting the Crossmen, Capital Regiment and Southwinds rehearsals on Friday. Stop by and introduce yourself.

Just make sure that you don't try to get from south Atlanta to north Atlanta during rush hour. Heading north of I-285 on I-85 after about 3:30 can be a real nightmare!

Dome Area Maps/Directions

The above link takes you to the Georgia World Congress Center website, which is next to the Dome. There is a PDF file which is a map of the campus. In my earlier post, you will not that I recommend parking in the Red Deck, Blue Lot or Gold Deck...all very close to the Dome.

The Yellow Lot is where the corps will be staged and warming up. The area between Building B and Building C of the Georgia World Congress Center is where the pits will warm-up and where the corps load in to the Dome. This area will not be accessible to the public (don't try...security is very present).

On this map, you will also see where the Aquarium and Centennial Olympic Park are...I notice many of you are staying in hotels near these.

Just make sure that you don't try to get from south Atlanta to north Atlanta during rush hour. Heading north of I-285 on I-85 after about 3:30 can be a real nightmare!

Thanks for the tip! Much Appreciated.

BUMP (someone just PMed me b/c they couldn't find this thread with Atlanta info...there ya go!)

And Ron is usually there with good tickets (stocky black guy that's almost always at every regional and championships buying extra tickets and selling them).

Ron is my idol. I've been buying tickets from him since the late 80's, he's truly a Drum Corps institution. From speaking with him it sounds like he buys and sells and trades tickets until he trades himself up to that perfect 50 yardline seat exactly where he likes to be. He doesn't charge much over face value, probably makes just enough to cover his travel expenses. :whistle:

With the show tomorrow and many people on here saying they are attending, I thought I'd bump this back up again. As I said in the other thread, they will be stamping hands for re-entry.

There are some other good links in some posts throughout this thread with info and maps.

If there any other questions, feel free to ask!

I am going to try to answer a lot of questions, but if I don't answer what ya want, send me a PM or just ask it in this thread.

Directions/Parking Info

Directions to the Georgia World

Congress Center/Georgia Dome

From the Airport and the South

Take I-75/85 North to the Andrew Young International Boulevard exit (Exit 248C). Turn left onto Andrew Young International Boulevard. Turn left onto Centennial Olympic Park Drive. Cross Marietta Street and go past CNN Center and the Philips Arena. Turn right onto Andrew Young International Boulevard. Parking in the GWCC Red Parking Deck will be on the right.

From the North

Take I-75/85 South to Williams Street (Exit 249C). Turn right onto Baker Street. At first traffic light turn left onto Centennial Olympic Park Drive. Follow Centennial Olympic Park Drive until you cross Marietta Street and go past CNN Center and the Philips Arena. Turn right onto Andrew Young International Boulevard. Parking in the GWCC Red Parking Deck will be on the right.

From the West

Take I-20 East to Spring Street (Exit 56B). Turn left onto Spring Street and then left on to Marietta Street. Turn left onto Centennial Olympic Park Drive and go past CNN Center and the Philips Arena. Turn right onto Andrew Young International Boulevard. Parking in the GWCC Red Parking Deck will be on the right.

From the East

Take I-20 West to Spring Street (Exit 56B). Turn right onto Spring Street and then left on to Marietta Street. Turn left onto Centennial Olympic Park Drive and go past CNN Center and the Philips Arena. Turn right onto Andrew Young International Boulevard. Parking in the GWCC Red Parking Deck will be on the right.

Parking is $10 in the Red Parking Deck and is good for the whole day...but if you choose to leave during the evening break and come back, you will have to pay again. Keep in mind that this deck is underground, so you won't see a huge deck as you approach it, so don't be confused. This, in my opinion, is the best place to park.

Info on Corps Warm-up/Directions Driving Directions:

From I-75 South:

Right at Exit #252/Northside Drive.

Cross North Ave. and Simpson St.

Dome will be on your left (about 3.3 miles)

From I-85 South:

R at Exit #249-C/Williams St (exit after North Ave)

R on Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd (1st light after exiting highway)

L on Centennial Olympic Park Dr

R on Martin Luther King Jr Dr

R on Northside Dr (Dome will be on your right)

From I-75/85 North (Connector):

Exit #246 Downtown/Central Ave - Take Central Ave to MLK Jr Dr

L on MLK Jr Dr

From I-20 Eastbound:

L at Exit #56-B Spring St

L on MLK Jr Dr

From I-20 Westbound:

Exit # 58-A Spring/Windsor St

R on Spring St

L on MLK Jr Dr

**Corps Parking/warmup is located in the Yellow lot and the Marshalling yards on Simpson St (North of the GA Dome). Equipment trucks will park in the loading dock area on the opposite side of Simpson Street (no entry allowed in this area)from the rest of the corps. Pit warmup will also be in this area.**

Parking in the Blue Lot on Northside Drive or the Yellow Lot on Simpson St. is $8 for the day and not a long walk to the Dome. But, you are not close to CNN Center where most of the fast food restaurants are.

Corps Housing Info

Southwind - Parkview HS

The Cadets - South Gwinnett HS

Glassmen - Star Mill

Spirit of JSU - At JSU

Crown - McIntosh HS

Phantom - McEachern HS

Santa Clara Vanguard - Fayette County HS

Capital Regiment - Meadowcreek HS

Crossmen - Mt Zion HS

Cavaliers - Milton HS

Boston - South Cobb

Blue Devils - Kennesaw Mountain HS

Bluecoats - Whitewater HS

Madison - Alpharetta HS

Blue Stars - Haralson County HS

Still need: Colts, Blue Knights, Madarins, Magic, Seattle, Esperanza

None of these schools are accessible by MARTA. All are in the suburbs, so you would really need a car to get to them.

Restaurant Information

The CNN Center is very close to the Dome and the Red Parking Deck. Here, you will find many fast food options, including Chick-fil-a (Yum!), and a few full service restaurants like Jocks & Jills (sports bar), McCormick and Schicks (rather expensive), Don Juans (Mexican).

The Varsity, very popular restaurant, is not within walking distance to the Dome. It is off North Avenue and I-75/I-85near Georgia Tech.

Many nice restaurants are in Midtown if you are staying in a hotel in this area.

Things to Do

Near the Dome is the CNN Center which has tours, pretty fun. The Georgia Aquarium is also within walking distance (may want to make a reservation) and Centennial Olympic Park is beside the Aquarium.

Shopping is best at Lenox Mall (accessible via MARTA) or Atlantic Station (17th Street exit off I-85/I-75).

MARTA Information

From MARTA's website (www.itsmarta.com): MARTA's rail system runs from 5 a.m. until 1 a.m. Monday through Friday, and from 6 a.m. until 12:20 a.m. on weekends and holidays. Trains run every 10 minutes on weekdays and every 15 minutes on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

FYI, if you're taking MARTA to the Dome, you'll need to take the East/West line to the CNN Center/Georgia Dome/Georgia World Congress Center station. If you're on the North/South line, get off at the Five Points station and transfer to a Westbound train. Go one stop on the west line and you'll be at the Dome station. Or, if you don't want to wait on a westbound train, you can walk about four or five long blocks from the five points station to the Dome. (Thanks oldsoprano for this info)

Hope this helps!!