a fan's question

Something I hear fans asking one another in the stands every year ... and I've wondered myself, too -- Why don't more drum lines play their "streetbeat" (or whatchamaycallit) when they're trooping the stands after their performance? Obviously, the crowd always loves it. And it seems like it used to be more common than it is nowadays. Am I right? So what's with that?

Something I hear fans asking one another in the stands every year ... and I've wondered myself, too -- Why don't more drum lines play their "streetbeat" (or whatchamaycallit) when they're trooping the stands after their performance? Obviously, the crowd always loves it. And it seems like it used to be more common than it is nowadays. Am I right? So what's with that?

This may sound lame but I think alot of corps dont work on their "street beats" very much. So they are pretty dirty and would rather not play them in front of people unless they have to..... The last thing they would want after they had a great show would be to play a dirty cadence in front of fans.....

It seems like it would be nice to just tap as a courtesy to the oncoming corps. Don't know, though.

I don't get that statement. How is it a courtesy when the other corps is only just coming on when you're trooping the stands? Every corps has a 17-minute block of time, for gosh sakes. It seems to me that in almost every case, the next corps doesn't really even begin entering the field (excepting the pit) until the previous corps has nearly cleared it. And has any corps ever complained about the ones that do play themselves off the field?

FYI, "trooping the stands" is grounds for a quick penalty. Just ask Pioneer...

I love it, but I think DCI and show organizers don't want to waste time on a second performance for every corps that wants one. Time is money, after all, and stadium lights are expensive.

lights are expensive?

I think it has more to do with the fact that it is a competition, and the competition says you get X amount of time. Judges are still tabulating and it is a way of respecting the rules.

lights are expensive?

I think it has more to do with the fact that it is a competition, and the competition says you get X amount of time. Judges are still tabulating and it is a way of respecting the rules.

I'm saying that expenses are A driving force to the time allotment. I only used lights as an example. Sheesh. :ph34r:

You'd be surprised - but each show has its own rules. Believe it or not, it is against the rules at some shows (but some corps do it every time regardless).

As for taping for the oncomming corps - I've actually been in situations where our staff made our hutter/tap at least slightly different so that we wouldn't be linned up with the previous group. Kind of a taking the field mentality/attitude if you will.

I don't get that statement. How is it a courtesy when the other corps is only just coming on when you're trooping the stands? Every corps has a 17-minute block of time, for gosh sakes.

No need to get all worked up about it. I was just thinking out loud. :P

DCi tries to keep shows rolling, so trooping has become a thing of the past there in most cases.