Scouts Fall to 11th

What will Scouts Final Placement Be?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What will Scouts Final Placement Be?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • Don't make Finals This Year...again...in Madison
  2. 2. What do the Scouts need to do?

• Redesign...at least part of the show!
    • Find the Madison Identity!!!
    • New Staff and Design Team!
    • It's not what the Scouts need to do, it's just that the others are just that good!!!
    • WOW...send the Guard bus to another State and find a local High School CG, they will actually know how to perform.

I predicited this in late May...the Scouts will not make finals since they are back in Madtown (oh how I wish this wont come true)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep thinking. Cleaning house with this group of instructors would be a big mistake! Sal Salas has put together

an OUTSTANDING team...and that team has given the corps a great show for 2006. One key ingredient in any corps staying successful is continuity of staff. Take a look at BD, Cavies, and Cadets. They have been able to keep their key people in place for a long time. (No one can keep 100%)

Hang on to this thread. I have a feeling yesterday was the last day for the Scouts being in 11th place.

They are most certainly in the grouping with Boston, SCV, Carolina Crown, and it appears Glassmen have also

joined this group. That means Madison could finish anywhere from 6th - 10th. I'm betting it will be closer to 6th.

With all the talant that they have, there's NO WAY the Scouts shoud be where they are right now. They should be right at the top of the heap. Ain't Sal, ain't the alumni, ain't the members, ain't the fans, ain't the judges. They're staff is leading them down the wrong path. If you have a severly infected finger, a band-aid won't save your life- an amputation will.

I can't believe I finally caved and decided to reply to this thread....but, I am.

I haven't even seen the Scouts yet...but some of the comments you people are making are just down right rude. From what I have read in many reviews, the Scouts have some very demanding drill and demanding music. I have also read that this is a very young corps. They have plenty of time to clean....and they are currently in that 7th-9th place range in what appears to be a very competitive year...so whats wrong with the current placement? These guys will be in Finals...no question in my mind.

Last year I remember reading lots or criticism for the Scouts based on the fact that they were very clean early and were peaking, and many expected them to get passed by other corps with more demanding drill and much left to clean. This year, they didn't let that happen.

Kudos to the Madison Scouts staff and members for taking on a very demanding show this year....I can't wait to see you guys in Atlanta and at Finals...keep up the hard work and I'm proud of ya no matter where you finish!!

Got to see them live in Indy, and I'll agree with all that's been said about the guard (not that they don't perform well, but they LOOK pretty bad, and how they got a 15.8 in guard last night escapes me when Colts guard was much cleaner and looked a lot better). Visually, I'd say that Colts (and Glassmen for that matter) are again the cleaner corps. And I really don't feel that this show says "Madison", for what that's worth.

Well the show doesnt say Old Madison that is for sure. For one thing Old Madison didnt win so thats not what Madisons creative staff wants. If you want Old Madison, go the semis and watch the Reuniuon corps crank out that patented sound.

But what Scouts are doing is in fact creating a new identity. And this one is a identity of a corps that is running literally 75% of the time. So whatever happens youve got to give them their due, they are trying to stand apart.

I dont know who said their not marching well. That is simply wrong. They are marching (to me) somewhere in the top 4 level, but if one was to base it on difficulty and physical demand alone then Madison wins going away. No one simply does what they do and the most that happens is that other corps do in snippets what Scouts do for most of their show.

There is likely a lot of disappointment that Scouts dont sound the same as they used to. Well duh, they are on their 3rd year with Bbs, their writing style has changed to coincide with what wins in DCI. They dont park screamers in front of the corps anymore. (Side note. Screamers still get the crowd going. Kilties (in prelims) and MBI got big applause when they did it yesterday) I am getting used to their sound and I like it. Sorry kids the Madison of old is not coming back. The horn sound is not top heavy like it used to be, in fact Id say their blend is about as good as ever. Its just a matter of going in with new expectations or at least an open mind. They play their show well, its just not that rememberable, but of course you can say the exact same thing about Cavies and even Cadets.

Only a couple of horn lines actually stood out, BD and Glassmen, the rest just use the music to serve the visual. Im not a drum or guard guy, but I did pay attention to them and I dont see how Madisons guard is any less whatever gets the top guard scores than anyone else. Same for drums, they appear very solid to me.

The Drum Corps community still seems to want old Madison, they want to be ripped to their feet and Madison seemed to be the only one for a long time that could still do that. And they feel betrayed when they dont get it. They want to contend, and you simply cant anymore with the old style Madison show.

Well the show doesnt say Old Madison that is for sure. For one thing Old Madison didnt win so thats not what Madisons creative staff wants. If you want Old Madison, go the semis and watch the Reuniuon corps crank out that patented sound.

But what Scouts are doing is in fact creating a new identity. And this one is a identity of a corps that is running literally 75% of the time. So whatever happens youve got to give them their due, they are trying to stand apart.

I dont know who said their not marching well. That is simply wrong. They are marching (to me) somewhere in the top 4 level, but if one was to base it on difficulty and physical demand alone then Madison wins going away. No one simply does what they do and the most that happens is that other corps do in snippets what Scouts do for most of their show.

There is likely a lot of disappointment that Scouts dont sound the same as they used to. Well duh, they are on their 3rd year with Bbs, their writing style has changed to coincide with what wins in DCI. They dont park screamers in front of the corps anymore. (Side note. Screamers still get the crowd going. Kilties (in prelims) and MBI got big applause when they did it yesterday) I am getting used to their sound and I like it. Sorry kids the Madison of old is not coming back. The horn sound is not top heavy like it used to be, in fact Id say their blend is about as good as ever. Its just a matter of going in with new expectations or at least an open mind. They play their show well, its just not that rememberable, but of course you can say the exact same thing about Cavies and even Cadets.

Only a couple of horn lines actually stood out, BD and Glassmen, the rest just use the music to serve the visual. Im not a drum or guard guy, but I did pay attention to them and I dont see how Madisons guard is any less whatever gets the top guard scores than anyone else. Same for drums, they appear very solid to me.

The Drum Corps community still seems to want old Madison, they want to be ripped to their feet and Madison seemed to be the only one for a long time that could still do that. And they feel betrayed when they dont get it. They want to contend, and you simply cant anymore with the old style Madison show.

Right On,

I think 2006 is one of the best shows Scouts have ever attempted, and a drill NO OTHER SCOUTS YEAR HAS EVER COME CLOSE TO!

1988 we were in 9th mid season

1983 Scouts were 10 points behind Garfield 2nd tour

No Matter What Happens in August, the 2006 Madison Scouts will be one of the highlights of the LONG history of our Corp, The MEN of 2006 should be shown nothing but respect from anyone who has ever had the privilege of wearing this corps jacket.

Dave Martinez

Madison Scouts 86-88

Completely wrong. Corps can't perform familiar, accessible, in-your-face, WELL-WRITTEN music? When Madison did this in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999...they placed higher than they will this year with this dead, incoherent mish-mash of hits and chords.

I'm with you. I don't have any connections inside the Scouts anymore but can only believe that the kids want to win. For years I have heard people say the Scouts (kids) didn't care about the score and lived only on crowd reaction. I could be wrong in this case but I've been involved in many types of competitive music over the years and can't remember anyone (kid) whose primary goal (or one of them) wasn't to win. I think this new approach will get them there. I personally like this Scouts show and welcome the new direction - a lot. I hope it is a direction and not a short detour. Go Scouts!

Edited by StrongResolution

Completely wrong. Corps can't perform familiar, accessible, in-your-face, WELL-WRITTEN music? When Madison did this in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999...they placed higher than they will this year with this dead, incoherent mish-mash of hits and chords.

They want to win not be in the middle of the pack. To win you have to do something better than anyones else does and for good or ill, theyve put their money on breakneck velocity in their visual program. I loved those shows as much as anyone, but surely you dont mean to say that Madison should keep to the old all spanish shows of the mid 90s. That strategy met with disastrous consequences in 02.

Actually youre a perfect example of my point. You want Old Madison and are ###### they arent that anymore.

I dont think theres anything any more incoherent about Madisons musical repertoire than anyone else, save for one of two. Ive seen Cavies three times now, you think theres anything hummable from that show? I couldnt remember a part of that show if my life depended on it.

ya, he's just got somethin stuck in his....well...you know what....and he's lovin using the Madison name to try to pull it out.

here's hopin you pull it out your..........ya....

*psssssst...I've got a feeling that it's your head*