Fairfield, OH Scores

Oh, don't give me this "Judge issue" stuff. Phantom lost in Music GE and a good judge scored it the way he saw it.

Way to go Bluecoats! Keep it going and get that brass score up.

Relax, I'm happy for the folks from Canton. It is about the performers.

I will however stick with my earlier comment for reasons that I will not go into on this forum. The issue I posed was that of an inexperienced judge not understanding the value of a tenth as part of the evaluative process. Numbers management is a tricky thing that takes time to develop and understand as an adjudicator. Mr. Jenkins is still learning.

Celebrate the performers.... :)

Edited by LowBrassman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, I'm happy for the folks from Canton. It is about the performers.

I will however stick with my earlier comment for reasons that I will not go into on this forum. The issue I posed was that of an inexperienced judge not understanding the value of a tenth as part of the evaluative process. Numbers management is a tricky thing that takes time to develop and understand as an adjudicator. Mr. Jenkins is still learning.

Celebrate the performers.... :)

Thx for clearing that up....

Did you know that all DCI judges are members of the Illuminatti? It's true.

They're also Freemasons, 4H members and Eagle Scouts.

And I think Charlie Poole was the second gunman on the grassy knoll...

:P

Did you know that all DCI judges are members of the Illuminatti? It's true.

They're also Freemasons, 4H members and Eagle Scouts.

And I think Charlie Poole was the second gunman on the grassy knoll...

:P

:wub::beer::beer: b**bs

I love it!!

Here are my contributions from the Fairfield, OH show...

Southwind--much improved from when I saw them in Lexington, KY on June 25th. This duality theme is really starting to come together. I didn't like the unis at first, but it's appropriate for the show. With some cleaning, this can turn into a very nice show.

Cap. Regiment--Wow was I surprised. I hadn't seen them yet, but I had heard great things that were true. The Whitacre pieces were amazing. The best thing is that they have something to really build on, particularly in Equus. After cleaning, they may very well see themselves well into the 80s come finals week! Pretty good guard and shocking hornline.

Glassmen--YES ladies and gentlemen. Some may say that doing things like going to Europe does "bad things" for your US tour, but it did wonders for Glassmen 06! This was one of my fav. shows tonight. I was truly amazed at their performance in comparison to past years I've seen them. Guard was great, hornline absolutely brought it tonight!!

Carolina Crown--I must admit, in trance it is a cool idea, and I think it will come together quite nicely, but I think essentially they still have some where to go (obviously being mid july). They show was fairly clean, and the brass had some nice moments, but overall it wasn't as good as I expected. On another note, THANK YOU CROWN GUARD. You bring new meaning to innovation. That staff must be very proud of their progress. I thought they should have won guard tonight, but a friend from bluecoats told me coats won guard.

PHANTOM--I must admit, after they performed, I knew Coats would get them. They seemed tired IMO. That show and its intensity last night must have burned them out. Nevertheless, I was very proud of the guard's progress. Much better than I saw on season pass. The brass is truly phenomenal; however, the sops had some clarity issues that I hadn't noticed on the APD or season pass. ONce again, I think they were tired. I loved the part (I believe Ave Maria when....FOREWARNING, SKIP TO NEXT POST IF U DONT WANT INFO ABOUT THEIR SHOW....the sops put their horns down and pick up baris. Very nice. Once they clean visually and add some new stuff musically (hopefully) they will be ready for Finals. OUTSTANDING PERCUSSION THAT SHOULD WIN DRUMS AT FINALS!!!

Bluecoats-- They won outright deservingly. They really brought it tonight in terms of the complete package. The guard was excellent, brass really stepped it up from the last time I saw them in KY on the 25th, and percussion was great also. I must admit after seeing it live twice, and several times on the season pass, that I long for something new in the show. I could see a few changes, but mostly they just cleaned up what they had, which is fine. I am very proud of the progress that they've made, and I think they will be top 3 this year! I got to shout out for 7 of my friends that I marched with in Memphis Sound. It was great, but also really emotional.

The show was great tonight. I wish all could have been there. This will be it for me until Madison, as I don't want to ruin it. Keep in mind that these things are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of anyone but me. This Fairfield show has potential to become huge if it is transported to a larger facility such as UC or a bigger high school stadium. Goodnight!!!

The issue I posed was that of an inexperienced judge not understanding the value of a tenth as part of the evaluative process. Numbers management is a tricky thing that takes time to develop and understand as an adjudicator. Mr. Jenkins is still learning.

Maybe you can get with Mr. Jenkins and straighten him out. He seems to be under the impression that he is supposed to give the corps that he thinks performs the best the higher score.

Judge issue to night:

Matt Jenkins: GE Music.... Coats 17.5 PR 16.8

Last Night Joe Allison had PR and BD Tied in GE Music at a 16.8

I would tend to go with Joe Allison on this one. He has judged numerous times at Finals on the GE Music Sheet

There's no way there should have been that big of a gap. I can see coats winning GE music, but definitely not by that much. Jenkins needs to go home.

Please pass along a hug and heartiest congrats on my behalf - they deserved the big win tonight, and I'll be watching anxiously for the rest of the season - top 5 or 6 will be such a dogfight, and will be fun and exciting to watch happen! :)

Hey Gorgo, glad you and the misses were able to get out and enjoy the show, an awesome show it must have been. Hope the misses gets to feeling better. Allaina said she had a cheering section, not sure if she had other fans in attendance. I will hit her with a pint of Ice Cream for ya and that should make all the things in the world just great. Not that marching with one of the world's greatest marching organizations isn't great but even that gets better with some Butter Pecan. I'll try to keep you abreast of her exploits. Thanks for the quick thoughts on the performance tonight sure wish we could have been there. Dublin on Wednesday can't wait now.

Scott

Oh, don't give me this "Judge issue" stuff. Phantom lost in Music GE and a good judge scored it the way he saw it.

Way to go Bluecoats! Keep it going and get that brass score up.

Not at all. That score was way off. I'm actually partial to BLOO and I think that's far too big of a gap. Jenkins needs to go home. BTW, I was there...