Drum corps fads that need to stop

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. :worthy:

There are so many responses to this statement, but let me boil it down to this: If people had followed your advice a few decades back, let's say 1975, your favorite show would never have existed. Cadets 2000 broke a lot of the "standards" that were around in the early days of DCI, and those early shows broke the standards of show that were around another 25 years prior.

Heck, forget drum corps. Just imagine what music at all would be like if we never went against the standards from, oh, let's say the 1700's.

Just wow.

Opinions, etc.

The reason I love the Cadets 2000 show is because it follows ALL of the musical standards of drum corps. The opener has an introduction that builds and builds and leads up to probably the most amazing, glorious, awe-inspiring chord ever performed in DCI. There is a ballad that ends with a chordal climax. There is one heck of a percussion feature. There is glorious maestoso chorale in the closer. And there is a high-powered, fast ending and ends the show with an eight-count crescendo.

Am I saying that every show should be exactly like this and have these same features? Of course not. But I think every show put on the field should follow some kind of standards. Heck even Star 1993's controversial show had a climax in the opener, a percussion feature, a ballad, a loud chordal ending (though I love quiet endings like SCV 1989 and 2000).

I also fail to see what musical standards Cadets 2000 broke. It seems like it adhered them all, and magnificently.

I haven't seen Cadets show yet though, has anyone noted if they're playing Disney's "Alice in Wonderland"? Or is it someones interpretation of the story?

No...there's no music from Disney's "Alice" in there...it's all adapted stuff like Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit", a Propellerheads song for the drum stuff, the ballad comes from contemporary pop music... and some of last years closer, which cribs from "Medea" ...even though "Medea" is probably a little far off from being "Through the Looking Glass" ("Through The Dysfunctional Family", maybe :P) is reworked as well.

No...there's no music from Disney's "Alice" in there...it's all adapted stuff like Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit", a Propellerheads song for the drum stuff, the ballad comes from contemporary pop music... and some of last years closer, which cribs from "Medea" ...even though "Medea" is probably a little far off from being "Through the Looking Glass" ("Through The Dysfunctional Family", maybe :P) is reworked as well.

Jay Bocook has also written a wonderful original piece called "The Garden."

My complaint comes from a music perspective. I have always been annoyed with the drum corps "chord" that every arranger uses regardless of the music they are performing. It seems everyone blasts the tri-tone/augmented 4th chord at least twice per show. It gives each performance a lot of similarity that otherwise wouldn't be there.

YES! I count the augmented 4th chords each night sometimes!

Yeah - uh, kinda offended over here. Not to be the PC Police or anything, but was that really neccessary? I know in a lot of ways, a lot of guard costumes are a little over-the-top, but what's an example (other than Cavies '03, I see that a lot and pretty much understand) of a uniform to that level, so I have some perspective on what you mean?

And in response to everyone who always talks about the "dad's who see their sons in those uniforms," I think they're okay with it. I may stand corrected, but I've never heard anything about anyone's parents being disgusted or ashamed over the Cavaliers' uniforms.

Their sons are in colorguard, they love to dance and twirl. My guess? They're over it.

The worst guard uniform I remember is Carolina Crown in 2002.......look it up at corpsreps.com when you get a chance. The colors were very light green, peach and white..... <**> <**>

Triple Fote

1. Ballads that have the climax (full ensemble fermata) at the beginning of the ballad instead of the end. Structurally nonsensical. The entire ballad is supposed to lead up to this point, the audience is supposed to wait for it.

And who says they arn't ? There is aLOT of music out there that is written in this format. Who are you to tell anyone how a ballad is supposed to be portrayed? not every story ends strong! some storys start off soft, then build, then fall.

from websters..

bal·lad Audio pronunciation of "ballad" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bld)

n.

1. A narrative poem, often of folk origin and intended to be sung, consisting of simple stanzas and usually having a refrain.

2. The music for such a poem.

2. A popular song especially of a romantic or sentimental nature.

Tell me that a poem , or romance etc is supposed to end loud? that is silly!

this is just stupid sorry...

I am hoping that you are just joking and I will feel silly soon.

Edited by g0at

And who says they arn't ? There is aLOT of music out there that is written in this format. Who are you to tell anyone how a ballad is supposed to be portrayed? not every story ends strong! some storys start off soft, then build, then fall.

from websters..

bal·lad Audio pronunciation of "ballad" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bld)

n.

1. A narrative poem, often of folk origin and intended to be sung, consisting of simple stanzas and usually having a refrain.

2. The music for such a poem.

2. A popular song especially of a romantic or sentimental nature.

Tell me that a poem , or romance etc is supposed to end loud? that is silly!

this is just stupid sorry...

I am hoping that you are just joking and I will feel silly soon.

Well I'm talking about drum corps ballads, not a "ballad" in the conventional sense of the worlds.

And hey, that's how I feel things should be. What prevents me from wanting things a certain way? If I want to get my money's worth and feel that ballads are much better portrayed when they climax at the end, not the beginning, and therefore will entertain me personally to a greater degree, what's the harm in that?