Starting a Corps... Guidelines?

Thanks for all of the info so far. I know that a post here is at most the first drop in a VERY large bucket, and I honestly can't start devoting real time towards it for a few months... but it's something that has been on my mind for years now and I guess it's time to start looking into it.

And with that, I'm going to log off before my mind explodes from the thousands of details that are screaming through my mind. :)

...yes, I know about the Royal Airs and the fact that they're not around at the moment.

I've been thinking for a while now that Chicago needs a Real Senior Corps. Considering the amount of talent in the general area, it should be easy to field a competetive corps with a #### of a lot of work. However, there are so many details that have to be ironed out that it's impossible to find a place to start.

Can anyone give advice on materials to read so I can start wrapping my mind around the task, should I choose to start pushing?

(Picture it: "On The Field, From Chicago, IL, 'ON THE 50'!!!"... or not. :) )

If I were starting a corps, I would look at the Renegades business plan - they went from, something like 7 guys and a ham sandwich to a DCA headliner in a few short years.

If I were starting a corps, I would look at the Renegades business plan - they went from, something like 7 guys and a ham sandwich to a DCA headliner in a few short years.

I've heard that out of all those founding members...

...Only the ham sandwich is still marching with the corps.

:P

From time to time, people talk about a winter minicorps circuit. Anything happening with that? Might be a good start for a Chicago group. Marquis (remember them?) in Fond du Lac is looking to start either an exhibition all-age minicorps or WGI winter drum program, if a qualified and reputable director/instructor for either would step up to the plate.

And with that, I'm going to log off before my mind explodes from the thousands of details that are screaming through my mind. :)

As a founding/charter member of a couple of different corps, the best thing I can tell you is to write down EVERYTHING that is "screaming through" your mind. If you have MS Word or some other word processing program, use folders and file names to help organize your thoughts. Scott Rhodes, Jeff Pastor, Lee Rudnicki, Brent Unger, et al, are indeed excellent resources.

Perhaps schedule visits to some rehearsals this summer, fall, or over the winter. See how they operate. Learn how they get things done. And most importantly, remember 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Lions Club, Rotary, Knights of Columbus, Jaycees, or a drum corps, this rule ALWAYS applies.

A local community college may offer a 3-credit small business management introductory course. Take it whatever the cost. It will give you a basis for finances and banking, volunteer/personnel management, hiring/firing, business law, and other needed skills. Your Illinois Secretary of State's office can probably provide you with helpful information on incorporating as a not-for-profit. The IRS website can also probably help you with the needed info for filing as a 501©(3) tax-exempt entity.

Finally, take advantage of personal contacts you may have in business, personal finance, accounting, and banking, law, and even theater/acting. All of their experiences will have some kernel of information that was missed someplace else.

Good luck!

I've heard that out of all those founding members...

...Only the ham sandwich is still marching with the corps.

:P

Out of seven founding members, six are still marching with the corps...........

Edited by wolf1

Good morning...

And #8 is living in Chicago! B)

Thought... what about looking into creating an alliance with

an existing corps like Cavaliers? They have a huge alumni

presence, resources, etc. Why reinvent the wheel? One of

the things Renegades did initially was become a "step" relative

with the Blue Devils family. There was also a large pool of

talent from active corps in the Bay Area (SCV/BD).

Though we found an unique identity, Renegades played

music quite familiar and yet still alive in the minds of corps

fans. (Our first tunes were "Black Saddle" and "Hava

Nagila"...my have we grown!)

MAV...who has been aching to join a senior corps and would

find it a WHOLE lot easier if it were local!

...One of the things Renegades did initially was become a "step" relative

with the Blue Devils family...

Mav, I'm not knocking that idea, but I want to quickly point out how that could be a dangerous idea, recognizing that it HAS worked elsewhere. Some people go into situations like that with expectations. Failure to meet those expectation could be fatal.

Short (semi-fictional) example. The "ABC Cadets" were known for their presentations of TV theme shows. When the ABC Cadets' alumni corps was formed 20 years after the original corps folded, people expected them to play arrangements of Mork & Mindy, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, and Monday Night Football. Their charter members became disillusioned when they started playing music made famous instead by the "CBS Serenaders" such as themes from Mission Impossible, Mannix, The Art Linkletter Show, and Password.

(True Story, the names were changed to protect ME!)

It's all in how such relationships -- and the expectations that go with it -- are managed.

Edited by K2SMA

"Last "Windy City" Senior Contender":

Going back to the mid 1950s: The old Skokie Indians won the American Legion Nationals 1955-56 & 57 (Yep: A "Threepeat"). Most of this was due to the relocation of Mr Frank Arsenault, a GREAT drummer and even better drum instructor, who moved to Chicago in order to take a job with Ludwig.

He took over the Skokie drum line, and the rest is history.

Elphaba