Hop Blog Update

That room includes electronics.

They are coming long before WW, IMO.

I say "good" to not slowing down. It's slow enough already, as it took what, a dozen years, to get amps passed?

You're right Mike. I/we are fighting this same battle to get amps in DCA. At the Bridgemen Alumni we use amps for our pit. It's the only way that we can get our one marimba balanced with 68 brass.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it ---- We are different and some people hate it.

They do not hate us .... they hate the change. They hate the difference.

I don't hate either the Cadets OR Change, per se, and I find his accusations a little insulting.

As other posters have pointed out, I don't think Hop really understands the dislike some Drum Corps fans have for some of the changes he's introduced (or advocated). It is too much of a rationalization and simplification for him to assume that those of us who dislike voice in Drum Corps, dislike it just because it's different.

It's not because it's different -- I don't like voice simply because I don't like it. For me, it detracts from the things I love about Drum Corps. I don't mind amplification, but I have been against it because of the natural consequences of narration and singing.

Personally I like most of the historical changes he notes in his blog entry. It's not about change, or being different.

If I want Broadway -- I'll go see a Broadway show. If I want Cirque de Soleil -- I'll go see a show. If I want esoteric music -- I'll go to a modern symphony concert. When I go to a Drum Corps show I want exciting brass, creative drill, and aggressive percussion -- I want to be spontaneously jolted out of my seat to applaud in the middle of the show. I don't want costumes and singing and narration.

But that's just me.

Off topic, the vehemence of posters strenuously (and often angrily or insultingly) advocating their opinion is usually humorous to me. Those on one side are rarely going to affect the opinion of those on the other side of the fence. Yet I wish I'd see more "I understand why you feel that way, yet I disagree", rather than "you're an idiot". I guess in this polarized day and age it's too much to ask.

I don't hate either the Cadets OR Change, per se, and I find his accusations a little insulting.

As other posters have pointed out, I don't think Hop really understands the dislike some Drum Corps fans have for some of the changes he's introduced (or advocated). It is too much of a rationalization and simplification for him to assume that those of us who dislike voice in Drum Corps, dislike it just because it's different.

It's not because it's different -- I don't like voice simply because I don't like it. For me, it detracts from the things I love about Drum Corps. I don't mind amplification, but I have been against it because of the natural consequences of narration and singing.

Personally I like most of the historical changes he notes in his blog entry. It's not about change, or being different.

But plenty of people DIDN'T like the changes he listed in his blog, they just weren't as vocal because the internet wasn't around for most of them.

And GH has never actually said that he doesn't mind if you walk out the door. I am pretty sure he regrets it if you do, but you are infering this from his remarks over the years. I can't find one quote where he ever said such a thing.

He did advocate forsaking the 35-60 demographic, claiming "they are a diminishing group in terms of numbers" (a clever myth).

He did advocate forsaking the 35-60 demographic, claiming "they are a diminishing group in terms of numbers" (a clever myth).

Well - the current set of 35-60 folks is disappearing - there will be a fresh batch coming along any time now to replace us, and if they are all indoctrinated into the new vision of drum corps, Hop's problems will be solved.

Except he's one of us so he'll be dead too, just like me.....

Edited by kusankusho

:spit:

You're right Mike. I/we are fighting this same battle to get amps in DCA. At the Bridgemen Alumni we use amps for our pit. It's the only way that we can get our one marimba balanced with 68 brass.

Why would DCA care if Bridgemen use amps? The Bridgement are (at least for now) an alumni corps, not a DCA competitive corps.

Hop came up with the ideas. He then got enough people to make the changes to the rules. People should be as upset as those who voted yes to his ideas (electronics) as Hop himself. Also, you can't be just upset with Hop when others are doing the same thing. Consistancy!

You may think you can replace people who disagree with you but I'll tell you what. I was at the show in Dublin the other night. There are a HECK of a lot of "bandos" in the Columbus area including several who compete regionally and nationally. There were seats available INSIDE the 40 yard line. Many bandos (HS) don't have the money to go to a drum corps show. How many do you think are shelling out the money to go to Madison? What about Pasadena?

Why does DCI have to follow BOA? There would be plenty of reason for them to follow if DCI was folding because there was no interest. How many people do the top 12 corps have trying out every November? You can try to give me the "oh, look how many groups there were in the 70's vs. now". That happened because of the cost of running drum corps, not lack of interest!

I am generally a Cadets fan however I don't like the amps. But guess what? I don't like them in the Bluecoats show, or Phantoms show, etc. I like DCI as the ACCOUSTIC activity it once was. I miss the purity of the sound. I have the right to my opinion. I spend a lot of money in the activity. I am an allumnus and a band director. I have an impact on the activity because I take kids to shows. I'll be at Massillon and I can't wait to have my kids see these groups in competition. (They will never see that difficulty both marching and playing in marching band!!)

DCI IS the ELITE marching activity. It needs to lead, not follow!