How do we get DCI Championships to broadcast in HD?

well for all you people who want to see dci in HD all tv broadcasts will be in HD by 2009. so unless DCI starts selling dvds in HD you gotta wait another 2 years or so

From what I understand, they'll only be required to be digital--that doesn't necessarily mean everything will be in HD (it's up to the individual broadcasters to decide on that...)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it would be fun to watch drum corps via 1080P HD, with digital surround (with less audio compression than DVD). But, I agree, we're still a little ways away. (At least my pocket book is...) I've read that LG might put out a universal player (same thing happened with Super Audio CD and DVD audio-- my player can play both...) If other manufacturers follow suit, then the format "war" may not be as big an issue.

I do not think it will happen as soon as many want. 1080P over the air is a non starter period. The amount of bandwidth needed is much larger than what is currently installed in most HD broadcasting stations. 1080P will be confined to HD DVD or Bluray.

Secondly whoever thinks that it is not expensive to shoot in HD has not gotten all of the facts straight. Its not just the camera's, but its everything down the pipe has to have the capacity to ingest and process a 720P or 1080i signal. All of this is still very expensive whether you are talking purchasing or renting.

You also have to look at your target audience's HDTV market penitration. Its not really that high overall, but it is growing very quickly.

As a person who works in Television production/engineering, I can tell you that the cost of production as this point might be beyond DCI's means. I would rather DCI improve on the DVD product they currently have. The audio could stand a more robust codec like Dts rather than heavily compressed Dolby Digital. And the video compression could have been done a little better than I have seen from DCI's recent DVD offerings. They have alot more work to be done with the DVD format rather than progessing on to any HD format.

I say bring back the PBS broadcast. I need my Cesario quotes!!! One broadcast was good for the entire year. Who's with me here!?!?!

I do not think it will happen as soon as many want. 1080P over the air is a non starter period. The amount of bandwidth needed is much larger than what is currently installed in most HD broadcasting stations. 1080P will be confined to HD DVD or Bluray.

Well, again, I was talking about HD for archival purposes and for ESPN...not for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Back in 1983, DCI started recording audio digitally, even though they were not producing CDs (this was right when CDs came out), DCI didn't produce and sell a single CD until the State of the Art II disc following the 1987 season.

DCI should indeed invest in the equipment necessary to film/record and store in the HD format, for archival purposes (and future HD releases) as well as broadcast on ESPN2. Then, in a few years when the HD optical disc formats sort themselves out, DCI has the beginnings of an actual HD library.

Also, please remember that HD brodcasts in ESPN will not preclude downsizing of the broadcast for non-HD consumers, and of course for DVD in the meantime.

you also have to consider in the target audience. what percentage of tv viewers are on HD.. and how many of those even know what drum corps is? now of those who do, how many people will be watching it?

But you might grow an audience by getting people who just want to watch stuff in HD like some other posters above have said. Some people will watch and HD program just because it's HD - despite the content.

That being said - it sounds like it's prohibitively expensive to do right now, and the potential gain in audience is too small to justify the cost.

Kamarag, I'm bummed about the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing. Sounds like the next VHS vs. Betamax fiasco (man, I just showed my age!). I'll be glad when one of them shakes out as the winner and we get some good content.

I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray will win. It's a better technology (more capacity), but the biggest thing is that Sony's Playstation 3 will use Blu-Ray. That's what will kill off HD-DVD in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray will win. It's a better technology (more capacity), but the biggest thing is that Sony's Playstation 3 will use Blu-Ray. That's what will kill off HD-DVD in my opinion.

Well, Betamax was a superior format to VHS, and we all know how that turned out. I don't think PS3 will have nearly the impact Sony expects it too...it's a game platform, not a home theater platform.

I think the winner will be decided by data storage users before gamers. Either way, both formats are pretty much dead in the water. The real future of HD content is in IPTV and drive-based storage.

Well, Betamax was a superior format to VHS, and we all know how that turned out. I don't think PS3 will have nearly the impact Sony expects it too...it's a game platform, not a home theater platform.

I think the winner will be decided by data storage users before gamers. Either way, both formats are pretty much dead in the water. The real future of HD content is in IPTV and drive-based storage.

I'm expecting the effect of the PS3 to be bankrupting Sony... which will make HD DVD the winner.

Perhaps they will both peacefully coexist... like Israel and Lebanon.

:P