When will DCI become famous

If I only had a few million dollars to begin broadcasting Drum Corps competitions all around the world on prime time --- on Fox or something --- I would instantly increase profits 10x over --- and noone would ever want to watch American Idol - it would be - vote for your favorite drum corps america! I mean seriously - you watch this stuff on YouTube? Its not just America thats great, there is some awesome stuff out in the world --- and SOMEONE Needs to start the engine on this. Because when this happens - and people see how awesome this stuff is (which I have yet to find a person uninterested) - our fan sizes will increase from 3 million fans to 30+ million...

Seriously - you would think Richard Branson or someone would look at DCI and say --- why not?

DCI needs to be on the radio, DCI needs to be on TV, DCI NEEDS TO FORM ITS OWN GENRE OF MUSIC!!!! What kind of music you like? D&B Corps. Seriously - listening to BD in the morning revs my day.

SCV/Phantom make me happy. Cavaliers 2002 Video stuns me in amazement - Southwind's show last year makes me say "Dammmmn...." - I liked their ending. BlueCoats freaking were fun to watch/listen to in 2004. Madison 1997... need I SAY MORE!!!!

So when do you think DCI will become famous and MAKE MONEY rather than kids sacrificing college money and careers for the sake of... well... too much to say, but you'll understand if you've marched DCI.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when do you think DCI will become famous and MAKE MONEY rather than kids sacrificing college money and careers for the sake of... well... too much to say, but you'll understand if you've marched DCI.[/b]

Never. DCI and most corps are not for-profit organizations.

Kids as young as 15 have no business trying to raise $1500 a year... sometimes only the rich can afford DCI as well. And most college kids will sacrifice anything to march DCI.. including their own futures and schooling... I think thats worth going for profit - and evening out these fees/costs.

I'd bet that anyone who's marched get's more from that experience and goes farther in life than those who don't.

You had me and then ya lost me.

:sshh:

I was GOING to write a letter to the Gates foundation TODAY (anyone watching the live stream from Indy knows I am serious) about starting a corps but I looked at the criteria for a donation and basically, you have to either

A. Be a scholarship fooundation

B. Be helping third world countries

C. Finding a cure for something

or

D. be making a library

So I just stopped :(

Edited by Huntington Mallets

I was GOING to write a letter to the Gates foundation TODAY (anyone watching the live stream from Indy knows I am serious) about starting a corps but I looked at the criteria for a donation and basically, you have to either

A. Be a scholarship fooundation

B. Be helping third world countries

C. Finding a cure for something

We're trying to cure drum corps.

$$$ = more talent = better musicians = better staff as well = better shows = better products = more viewers/fans = more $$$$

We have the best staff out there already. . .more money isn't going to cause amazingly great drill/music writers/techs to pop out of nowhere and offer their services. Also more money leading to better shows/products is implying that program coordinators are holding back great concepts until that "one great year when they have some amazing salary bump." As if great shows were produced on some secret coordinated schedule. Talk about conspiracies. . .sheesh.

DCI in the mainstream is like Barbara Ehrenreich pretending to be a low income worker. A seemingly innocent idea for the good of society that turns into a joke that insults the very people it tries to help. Cure drum corps? Commercialization had always made things better, right? Look at China.

EDIT: So. . .where is this "best" drill writer that ISN'T involved with the activity?

Edited by Vega

Shows should be more entertaining and appealing to the general public. That will bring in advertising dollars from non-band companies, leading to cheaper tours, higher pay for instructors, lower tour fees, ultimately leading to more people (performers, staff, volunteers, etc.) getting involved. That of course assumes DCI shares the wealth accordingly.

As long as shows are esoteric, artistic, wierd, difficult to get and all that, we will be a small and devoted community. The current drum corps style has turned off many alumni, many that I know. If DCI is not concerned about keeping alumni involved, I don't think it is a concern for the leadership of DCI to make DCI famous, althought that is exactly what would be best for the participants.

It's all in the judging sheets and the product on the field. To be famous, you must appeal to a large audience. Appeal to the masses by adjusting the scoring system. Have a celebrity judge here and there and tap into their fans. Market band directors to get more of their students involved in drum corps. Not only would you be recruiting performers, you're also marketing the product to people who will never march, but they'll turn on the TV and watch, leading to more advertising dollars.

Have you seen America's Got Talent? Stupid stuff, but it was also the #1 TV show two weeks ago.