When will DCI become famous

I feel that DCI needs to put more advertisement out there. I know that this wouldnt be cheap, but its the best way to draw in more attention. We need to draw in fans that can understand and appreciate whats happening on the field. That means they would need to get attention at more music and marching events. Everything from a Symphonic concert to a Band competition. Those people would be more likely to became a fan or member of DCI than the average joe. I really think this would be the best way to get popular.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. Where shall DCI advertise?

on CSPAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no but seriously

ESPN2 (just before finals)

some of the fine arts channels

WKAR

That means they would need to get attention at more music and marching events. Everything from a Symphonic concert to a Band competition. Those people would be more likely to became a fan or member of DCI than the average joe. I really think this would be the best way to get popular.
Okay. Where shall DCI advertise?

Kids as young as 15 have no business trying to raise $1500 a year... sometimes only the rich can afford DCI as well. And most college kids will sacrifice anything to march DCI.. including their own futures and schooling... I think thats worth going for profit - and evening out these fees/costs.

The kids are getting the deal of a lifetime at $1500 - $1800.

Do you know what it costs for summer camp? For a kid that's really into figure skating? H.S. athletics where kids now have to "pay-to-play" because tax levies failed? What does a 16 year old pay for car insurance? HA!

Consider that while a kid might shell out $1500 for corps dues/tuition, the ACTUAL COST, to field a D1 corps, floats around $4,000 to $6,000 PER MEMBER. This is what most people just don't understand. This is an incredibly expensive activity these days, thanks to extensive D1 tours, corps feeling the need to turn their equipment and uniforms over every year or two, buy amps to participate in the corps arms race (as someone else put it), increased insurance costs, food cost increases -- and the wake-up of diesel prices. Not to mention tour staff demanding more and more money (remember when we were mostly volunteers and it was an honor to help a corps?) – sometimes mid-tour. (So that I don't come off as a hypocrite on the staff thing, be it known that I’ve just stopped my salaried role in drum corps to return to volunteer status, as most of us should be.)

What really drives some of us crazy is when so many kids (I'm generalizing, there are great kids out there) don't want to participate in fundraising or help at bingo. "Hey, I dropped $1200 for dues, have to buy my own shoes, and you want me to set up tables for bingo, too??"

It would be fun to shut down all the $400,000-$600,000/year bingo games that feed this activity and just charge $6000 dues. The REAL cost for their experience. Hey, nobody runs bingo to subsidize the college experience. Why drum corps?

Edited by dannyboy

It is amazing that for 1200-2000 dollars you get:

top of the line instruction

room and board for 3 months

transportation

the opportunity to perform in an amazing show

an effective weight loss program

the time of your life

I feel that DCI needs to put more advertisement out there. I know that this wouldnt be cheap, but its the best way to draw in more attention. We need to draw in fans that can understand and appreciate whats happening on the field. That means they would need to get attention at more music and marching events. Everything from a Symphonic concert to a Band competition. Those people would be more likely to became a fan or member of DCI than the average joe. I really think this would be the best way to get popular.

I'm reasonably convinced that most young people who might be interested in DCI, namely band kids, are already aware of its existence. At least that's been my experience around here. Might not be a universal truth, though.

I'm reasonably convinced that most young people who might be interested in DCI, namely band kids, are already aware of its existence. At least that's been my experience around here. Might not be a universal truth, though.

I agree. I simply don't see hordes of uninitiated fans among the great unwashed masses. Our fan base is limited and, for the most part, already aware of DCI's existence.

I agree. I simply don't see hordes of uninitiated fans among the great unwashed masses. Our fan base is limited and, for the most part, already aware of DCI's existence.

I'm sure there's some ... I've introduced a couple of non-band folk to DCI over the years who liked what they saw. But yeah, for the most part ...

Then again, and this might be kind of off-topic, but individual shows definitely do need to advertise if they want a good turn-out. For instance, as I said in my review of the show, I didn't see any local advertising for the show in Huntington, WV. There may have been some, but I didn't see it. I'd not have known when the show was if I hadn't been actively looking for it on the web, you know? Casual fans who enjoyed going in the past might not have known about it at all. This show used to get fairly big crowds, and I'm sure it could do so again in the future, but I'm not sure anyone knew about it this summer! The old sponsors used to run ads on TV, which I know is rather expensive, but it certainly succeeded in getting the word out. I'm extremely happy that the show was resurrected, but if they don't do something to put butts in the seats, I'm afraid it might not continue to exist.

Edited by Orpheus