When will DCI become famous

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I only had a few million dollars to begin broadcasting Drum Corps competitions all around the world on prime time --- on Fox or something --- I would instantly increase profits 10x over --- and noone would ever want to watch American Idol - it would be - vote for your favorite drum corps america! I mean seriously - you watch this stuff on YouTube? Its not just America thats great, there is some awesome stuff out in the world --- and SOMEONE Needs to start the engine on this. Because when this happens - and people see how awesome this stuff is (which I have yet to find a person uninterested) - our fan sizes will increase from 3 million fans to 30+ million...

Seriously - you would think Richard Branson or someone would look at DCI and say --- why not?

DCI needs to be on the radio, DCI needs to be on TV, DCI NEEDS TO FORM ITS OWN GENRE OF MUSIC!!!! What kind of music you like? D&B Corps. Seriously - listening to BD in the morning revs my day.

SCV/Phantom make me happy. Cavaliers 2002 Video stuns me in amazement - Southwind's show last year makes me say "Dammmmn...." - I liked their ending. BlueCoats freaking were fun to watch/listen to in 2004. Madison 1997... need I SAY MORE!!!!

So when do you think DCI will become famous and MAKE MONEY rather than kids sacrificing college money and careers for the sake of... well... too much to say, but you'll understand if you've marched DCI.

I'm glad you love the activity so much, but it's time for you to wake up ... you're dreaming. B)

Mike in OH

That is the most abdurd thing I have heard in a long time.....the best composers, arrangers, musicians, teachers, dancers, and designers are NOT in drum corps.

All of the above know about our activity... drum corps is a common name in the music world. All of the said "better" composers, arranger, musicians, teachers, dancers, and designers that are NOT involved with DCI do so by choice... probably because they don't like it. The best of the best that want to be in this activity (notice I didn't say "know about" because I assure you most if not all of them do) already are.

All of the above know about our activity... drum corps is a common name in the music world. All of the said "better" composers, arranger, musicians, teachers, dancers, and designers that are NOT involved with DCI do so by choice... probably because they don't like it. The best of the best that want to be in this activity (notice I didn't say "know about" because I assure you most if not all of them do) already are.

That is not entirely true. The reason that most of those people are not involved in drum corps is becuase they can make better money doing something else and they dont have to endure the lifestyle of being on a drum corps tour. Most musicians go to where the money is. John Corigliano never wanted to write a band piece. Then University of Texas offerd him $100,000 to wrote one and told him they would spend as much time in rehearsal as he wanted. So what do you think he did. He wrote a band piece and now is a champion of the activity.

Anyway the statement that the best people are already out there is definately wrong any way you slice it. Many of the best people in the marching activity arent even teaching drum corps...they would much rather spend their summers at home with their family and sleeping in a bed instead of a bus.

Woud anyone here really like the changes that would need to take place for drum corps to get that much popularity?

Let's face it, the stupider and more worthless the show, the more the general populous likes it. We already can't stand that we have added amps to our art. Do we really want celebrity judges? I'm sure we all have seen drumline: the movie. Do we really want rap stars and all that nonsense to be affiliated with us?

I never watch reality TV and I will never watch shows like America Idol or America's Got Talent. They represent all that is stupid and corrupt about America. I just hate to think what drum corps would look like if it appealed to the same people who like The Simple Life.

Well I don't mean to be argumentative. But "nobody" is a pretty subjective term. There are a lot of composers I had never heard of until I got into drum corps. Did that mean they weren't good? What does having heard of something before have to do with how good it is?