Crossmen

You want to know what really sucks??? You being so negative about the corps you marched for. They must be really proud of you. :rock:

I agree with what Drew wrote. He said if you are so concerned about the way things are going, then go lend a helping hand. Other wise, stop gripping it really doesn't help the members out. :sshh:

This wasn't directed to you tone Quality Matters, but to the poster you responded to. B)

Edited by Malibu

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the Crossmen this year. They are as entertaining as ever. They even have a much better visual package than last year too, in my opinion. Their problem seems to be that they need a whole lot of cleaning. Plus, they need much work on the fundamentals in all areas of the Corps. Fundamentals that generally are addressed by the staff in the off season. That, and it looks like their Guard is not as integrated into the show as well as it could be. The Corps looks to an outsider like me that they may have had issues in the off season that delayed their readiness for the opening of their competitive season. Competitions are not won or lost in June, July and August. They are won or lost in February,March and April . The Crossmen simply need a lot of cleaning right now. In a lot of areas. I would not count them out of Finals just yet. But the DCI season is short, and timing is not on their side here. I hope they make it into the Finals, as they are an entertaining Corps this year on the whole.

FYI Crossmen had a very successful winter program. Their ranks and all spots were full in April. They had issues last year with their visual program and they fixed it.

Last year the Reading Bucs won DCA for the first time in umpteen years. It was due primarily to the staging visual design, and instruction of the Bucs drill writer Bobby Jones. Bucs won their first 2005 DCA show by over 5 points and never looked back. In a league of their own. This year's Crossmen drill designer and head is Bobby Jones! He is with them ONLY, full-time this summer.(No Bucs) Their show is a visual delight. Check out the integration of the guard throughout the show. The musical programming is wonderful! In addition to RADIO (which may help to make them a candidate for the Spirit of Disney award) they rock with a Pat Metheny opener (from The Way Up) and and ELP closer (Tank). Audiences love them! They like themselves. End of story.

Yes, they started the competition season much later than all other Div I corps (except Cascades). So they are playing catch up. But catch up they will. And when eveyone in their competitive area is peforming comparably in August, the Crossmen programming, show design, and appeal will be a big factor in their moving up in the rankings. They are already a success with EVERY audience that they perform for. AHHHHHhhhhhhh .... life is good! :)

why are you staying stagnent when ALL the corps are moving up...

Crossmen aren't alone you know. Even though Spirit is supposedly better than recent years and the crowds actually like the show better than most any show in the last couple of decades, here we are, still sitting on the bubble in 12th. Talk about stagnation...it's very nerve racking to watch a corps compete on the bubble every year for what...5 or 6 years now?

but hey...I don't care. I'm happy my corps is having a good time and the crowds are enjoying it.

Crossmen aren't alone you know. Even though Spirit is supposedly better than recent years and the crowds actually like the show better than most any show in the last couple of decades, here we are, still sitting on the bubble in 12th. Talk about stagnation...it's very nerve racking to watch a corps compete on the bubble every year for what...5 or 6 years now?

but hey...I don't care. I'm happy my corps is having a good time and the crowds are enjoying it.

That was kind of you Steve for being candid; and compassionate in your commiseration.

You are RIGHT, Spirit IS "better" than they've been. More enjoyable. Most enjoyable. It's fun watching Spirit endear themselves so convincingly to (mostly)one-time audience members on the road midweek during tour. If Spirit is better, then they are NOT stagnating. Likewise the Crossmen are NOT stagnating this year. (as someone suggested) Both corps are growing positively. A credit to both themselves, AND our activity.

Jeez! As a former Crossmen, why are you basing what you feel about the show & corps on the rankings?? No offense, but shouldn't you know better than to judge your corps by numbers on a paper??? Especially in JULY when they haven't had a show in days???

How can you determine that they need to make changes when you haven't even seen the show yet? Why not see how much was cleaned/tweaked this week, and see the show live, before passing judgment on whether or not they will make finals?

I'm glad the kids aren't able to read your thread about understanding that they might not make finals this year. Negativity isn't going to get them anywhere. Have you been to any camps/rehearsals this year to witness their drive/efforts in person? Give the kids some credit for wanting to be the best that they can be with the product they have.

Somehow I doubt they are going to go down without a fight, in the traditional Crossmen fashion. And as for member retention, there seem to be many returning members from last year.

The rebuilding in the 80's was clearly different compared to what's going on now, since the corps actually FOLDED one winter and put together a program to keep the corps alive in the spring ('86 season). Sure, they need to clean, improve, and adjust as every corps does every year. However, if you've ever watched the '86 video, or talked to people that marched 86-89, you'd realize that you are comparing apples to oranges. What they have to do now to get back into finals is far less (IMO) than what they had to do in the 80's.

i am basing it on my experience in the group last season... the first year out of finals... there were so many things that we did, but it was too little too late... so, i just don't want them to make the same mistake... and be ready for the home stretch...

You want to know what really sucks??? You being so negative about the corps you marched for. They must be really proud of you. :worthy:

i don't think i am being negative... i really want them to succeed... but like i said, last time they were out of finals, it took a few years to rebuild the program...

From what I was told (by one of the instructors), the guard uniform has a cross in it.

Yeah, there's some pictures somewhere and you can see it. It's a very stylized cross that goes over their upper left side (if I remember correctly) I actually like the guard unis this year, even if there's nothing particularly great or relevant to the show about them; they just look cool.

There are always crosses on the field anyway: the red cross over the brass and perc's heart. I'm just saying that I miss seeing one huge one in the drill that pops out of nowhere at a big impact.

GO BONES

Counting down the days until Dallas and San Antonio

Just wanted to chime in on this topic and say I love their show. The radio feature is a fun to watch, interesting to hear, innovative (one of the best uses of vocals I have ever heard in relation to show concept) and just wonderful. I am biased about their ballad as I adore anything that Linda Eder does and love that song in particular, but think it is as smooth and wonderful as her singing it.

As for their scores, who the frack really cares. As others have stated, their scores are a bit dated and they are reworking parts of the show (just like everyone does mid-season). I proudly sponsor someone in the horn line and everything I hear from them is that the members love this show. My only regret is I saw them at Indy and will not see them again until Madison.

Where they will place will be determined by a lot of factors, most of which are totally out of their control. I want them to be in Finals just so I get to see them three times in Madison. If they don't, will I feel anything less than what I have already said for this show and this corps? NO!!!

Go Bones!

Bob

Wow Bob ......well said!! I think that your choice of the word innovative re: RADIO is just about perfect. Maybe Crossmen might be a possible dark horse candidate for the Spirit of Disney award, eh?

Yet, their Metheny opener is so stylistically THEM, while the ELP closer can/will rock the house. You're right, they are a highly functioning group who is already a success this year. The audiences love them.

FYI Crossmen had a very successful winter program. Their ranks and all spots were full in April. They had issues last year with their visual program and they fixed it.

Last year the Reading Bucs won DCA for the first time in umpteen years. It was due primarily to the staging visual design, and instruction of the Bucs drill writer Bobby Jones. Bucs won their first 2005 DCA show by over 5 points and never looked back. In a league of their own. This year's Crossmen drill designer and head is Bobby Jones! He is with them ONLY, full-time this summer.(No Bucs) Their show is a visual delight. Check out the integration of the guard throughout the show. The musical programming is wonderful! In addition to RADIO (which may help to make them a candidate for the Spirit of Disney award) they rock with a Pat Metheny opener (from The Way Up) and and ELP closer (Tank). Audiences love them! They like themselves. End of story.

Yes, they started the competition season much later than all other Div I corps (except Cascades). So they are playing catch up. But catch up they will. And when eveyone in their competitive area is peforming comparably in August, the Crossmen programming, show design, and appeal will be a big factor in their moving up in the rankings. They are already a success with EVERY audience that they perform for. AHHHHHhhhhhhh .... life is good! :)

Umm....no, 2005 was not Buc's first DCA title. They won in 1979 & 1980. They are a fine organization that has lent many of their talented staff to Crossmen. Tony Yaklic (sp?) wrote for Crossmen's brass back in 1982 as an example. The same for Buc's staff over the years have been former Crossmen.

Edited by Malibu