Crossmen

I certainly agree here. When I taught Bones, we had kids who wouldn't think of any other corps to march in because they loved the fact that no matter what, the Crossmen were about entertainment and bringing down the house. This is the lure of the Crossmen.

Still is. During my brief time around the corps this year, I was amazed at how many kids simply love being in the corps. No different than when we taught together. They're a very tight group of kids. It was a pleasure to see and be around.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to chime in on this topic and say I love their show. The radio feature is a fun to watch, interesting to hear, innovative (one of the best uses of vocals I have ever heard in relation to show concept) and just wonderful. I am biased about their ballad as I adore anything that Linda Eder does and love that song in particular, but think it is as smooth and wonderful as her singing it.

As for their scores, who the frack really cares. As others have stated, their scores are a bit dated and they are reworking parts of the show (just like everyone does mid-season). I proudly sponsor someone in the horn line and everything I hear from them is that the members love this show. My only regret is I saw them at Indy and will not see them again until Madison.

Where they will place will be determined by a lot of factors, most of which are totally out of their control. I want them to be in Finals just so I get to see them three times in Madison. If they don't, will I feel anything less than what I have already said for this show and this corps? NO!!!

Go Bones!

Bob

I completely agree that it is way too early to start being concerned with Crossmen's scores (especially when they haven't actually competed for days now). And I would also just add that it is perfectly understandable that Crossmen would still be a little behind the pack considering that they didn't actually start their season until a week (or more) after their chief rivals. By the end of July we'll have a much better measure of where Crossmen stand. But ultimately, the depth of quality corps this season may result in some fine shows placing as low as 17 or below. No worries if the actual product on the field still improves over the previous years' offering.

i have always enjoyed the mystique of crossmen...very cool corps. I really loved the 91, 92 and 93 shows. the 96 show was brilliant with "birdland"...great retro idea that paid off.

with that said, i wish they would venture further back and revisit some other ideas:

I have always wanted to hear crossmen play a version of Los Hermanos De Bop (Brothers of the Bop)...what Spirit played as an opener in 1983, but the recording didnt do it justice. what a perfect piece for crossmen.

As a former member of Crossmen, I am saddened when I look at the rankings... Come on Crossmen... why are you staying stagnent when ALL the corps are moving up... there are 15 corps that are better right now... i have not seen the show as of yet, but enough is enough... its time for the music and visual people make some changes... thats obviously the only way they can get the judges to like the show... i guess no amount of cleaning will help it... sucks that the Crossmen will be out of finals for another year... in this day in age where people corps hop to better groups, i hope the members understand that the XMen probably wont make finals for another couple years. I think there is a rebuilding that will take a while... Like what happened in the 80s... there were out of finals for a good 6 years, but then they were in it for 16 straight years... so, stick with your corps...

I've seen the Crossmen this year. They are as entertaining as ever. They even have a much better visual package than last year too, in my opinion. Their problem seems to be that they need a whole lot of cleaning. Plus, they need much work on the fundamentals in all areas of the Corps. Fundamentals that generally are addressed by the staff in the off season. That, and it looks like their Guard is not as integrated into the show as well as it could be. The Corps looks to an outsider like me that they may have had issues in the off season that delayed their readiness for the opening of their competitive season. Competitions are not won or lost in June, July and August. They are won or lost in February,March and April . The Crossmen simply need a lot of cleaning right now. In a lot of areas. I would not count them out of Finals just yet. But the DCI season is short, and timing is not on their side here. I hope they make it into the Finals, as they are an entertaining Corps this year on the whole.

Edited by X DM

I proudly sponsor someone in the horn line and everything I hear from them is that the members love this show.

Go Bones!

Bob

your sponsorship is greatly appreciated.

it is what giving back is all about.

If ever in NYC . look me up for a letterman tour.

and thank you for your dedication and passion for the Crossmen.

CHEZ

That, and it looks like their Guard is not as integrated into the show as well as it could be.

Who needs integration? The Cadets won DCI last year with an alarming lack of color guard integration. Hardly any in the first half of the show, and not nearly enough in the second half to make up for the lack of it in the first.

(for the record, i think the crossmen integrate their guard fairly well this year. could be better, but overall pretty good. i do agree that the degree of their competitive success will depend on how clean they get their show.)

Who needs integration? The Cadets won DCI last year with an alarming lack of color guard integration. Hardly any in the first half of the show, and not nearly enough in the second half to make up for the lack of it in the first.

(for the record, i think the crossmen integrate their guard fairly well this year. could be better, but overall pretty good. i do agree that the degree of their competitive success will depend on how clean they get their show.)

'Guess we'll have to disagree then if you think the 2005 Cadets did not have an integrated guard in that 2005 show of theirs. We might be on the page as to whether or not we liked what the Cadets did last year with their Guard section in the Cadets show. But their guard was integrated very well into their show design, a controversial as that integration may have been. But that's just my opinion here, too.

Edited by X DM

'Guess we'll have to disagree then if you think the 2005 Cadets did not have an integrated guard in that 2005 show of theirs. We might be on the page as to whether or not we liked what the Cadets did last year with their Guard section in the Cadets show. But their guard was integrated very well into their show design, a controversial as that integration may have been. But that's just my opinion here, too.

Bringing this back on topic........ :)

I'd agree with your original post in that Crossmen do need to clean- and I bet they've been doing that all week. Can't wait to hear how they do this weekend! Go Bones!

Yes, it is way too early to write the Crossmen off, but I think what is really bringing Adam to his disgust is seeing the same pattern of events from last year. As a member last year myself, the most frustrating thing was that we would get better and better, but the scores would just stagnate or go down. Adam is seeing the same thing happen this year. Of course, we are going to need to wait to see if the improvement over this week pays off in Denver. If they want to put themselves solidly back in the hunt then it had better. Let's hope the changes they're making to their closer and the polishing on the rest of the show pays off.

The only thing that really has me in a fit right now is that there is no cross in the show. Maybe the staff is waiting for later to put it in, but as of yet there is no cross. (and no there isn't one in the new closer drill either) :(

Go BONES!