passion of shostakovich part 2

Wow. That director has a great program and he is ruining it by putting on a watered down carbon copy of someone else's show. I mean think of all the unfair criticisms and comparisons this had to have drawn them. Frankly I would have been embarrassed to do something like this.

Edited by frontline99

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it's Valid. Phantom took material and arranged it for a drum corps. This high school took the same material and arranged it for an ensemble with different instrumentation. Do I agree with it? NO. But that high school does not have to ask anyones permission to do what they did. If it was original music that was written and copyrighted by someone on staff than they would. Public domain means anyone can use, play or adapt however they choose...and that was what they did.

changing instrumentation is easy enough to do...but he didn't re-arrange the music...he changed which instruments played it...which doesn't invalidate my point you responded to, which was in response to someone else saying that Phantom ripped Shostakovich...which remains, incorrect.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

yeah - its funny from our vantage point

but you know what? they did a good job IMO - and I think its great the kids learned some quality "serious" literature instead of chopped-up junk so many HS bands try to play these days...

I mean think of all the unfair criticisms and comparisons this had to have drawn them.

I'm pretty sure someone from the Donna High School band posts here as well.

I'm sure they love watching people completely trash the show they put on the field.

face it, it wasn't that bad.

~>conner

I'm sure they love watching people completely trash the show they put on the field.

~>conner

i dont know about others..but im not at all bashing the quality..they did it very freakin well. its just the principle. i guess it would just bug me if i was in the 96 show and saw this.

~>conner

I never once bashed the show...I even said it wasn't bad for a marching band...I was pretty impressed the first time I saw it from the high angle. I was only teasing about the fact that there were *shudder* woodwinds....AND that it was like mini-phantom. :P Speaking of which...anyone remember the Phantom Regiment Cadets??

Edited by BigBadMadMan

A few times I have been asked to come out and clinic some bands that were playing shows that I marched when I was in Corps. Some of them were exact rip-offs....I didnt care at all.

One of them even had the same exact guard work, horn moves & visuals, and identical guard uniforms. I thought it was pretty silly but it didnt make me angry or anything like that.

A few times I have been asked to come out and clinic some bands that were playing shows that I marched when I was in Corps. Some of them were exact rip-offs....I didnt care at all.

One of them even had the same exact guard work, horn moves & visuals, and identical guard uniforms. I thought it was pretty silly but it didnt make me angry or anything like that.

and I sat in the stands at a small marching band competition and watch a band BUTCHER the '96 Scouts show...(well, opener and closer anyway)...exact arrangements...I think I was happier that I was hearing a "tribute" to a great show than anything...well, once I could actually FIGURE OUT what they were playing! :worthy:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

yeah - its funny from our vantage point

but you know what? they did a good job IMO - and I think its great the kids learned some quality "serious" literature instead of chopped-up junk so many HS bands try to play these days...

OMG I think I just __it my pants! I actually agree with something George posted! Must need therapy!!! :P :P :P