passion of shostakovich part 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Phantom copied it from Shostakovich.....where is the line?

To me this is akin to plagiarism...Phantom credited Shostakovich for the source material in 1996.

Did this band credit Lee Beddis for the percussion parts?

I thought it was funny, my high school had a "marching band" we wore jeans, played our fight songs and a couple pep band tunes in parades and dicked around during halftime in the stands.

And Phantom copied it from Shostakovich.....where is the line?

ok...there's a difference though between Phantom's "arrangement" of a Shostakovich piece...which was an original arrangement....and then a direct rip of the Phantom show...so that point isn't exactly valid.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

ok...there's a difference though between Phantom's "arrangement" of a Shostakovich piece...which was an original arrangement....and then a direct rip of the Phantom show...so that point isn't exactly valid.

Sure it's Valid. Phantom took material and arranged it for a drum corps. This high school took the same material and arranged it for an ensemble with different instrumentation. Do I agree with it? NO. But that high school does not have to ask anyones permission to do what they did. If it was original music that was written and copyrighted by someone on staff than they would. Public domain means anyone can use, play or adapt however they choose...and that was what they did.

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

To me this is akin to plagiarism...Phantom credited Shostakovich for the source material in 1996.

Did this band credit Lee Beddis for the percussion parts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason plagiarism is illegal is so that people don't earn profits from somebody else's idea. I doubt that marching band got a recording contract and a million dollars off of that show.

The way I see it, if a drum corps today blatantly ripped off 1996 Phantom Regiment, they would be linched. But this is a MARCHING BAND we're talking about for crying out loud!!! So many people on this forum only see the BOA competing bands that compete at the highest level, but most marching bands don't even play music that was written/arranged specifically for them. My band played music that was taken out of marching band music books! SO WHAT! It doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter. Let those kids have their rewarding experience with it and don't be threatened by it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason plagiarism is illegal is so that people don't earn profits from somebody else's idea. I doubt that marching band got a recording contract and a million dollars off of that show.

The way I see it, if a drum corps today blatantly ripped off 1996 Phantom Regiment, they would be linched. But this is a MARCHING BAND we're talking about for crying out loud!!! So many people on this forum only see the BOA competing bands that compete at the highest level, but most marching bands don't even play music that was written/arranged specifically for them. My band played music that was taken out of marching band music books! SO WHAT! It doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter. Let those kids have their rewarding experience with it and don't be threatened by it.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: