Carolina Crown's new Plumes!?

I thought the purple worked really well with their show concept. Along with the stripes and all the spinning in their drill, it gives the show a hypnotic quality.

They don't have the performance level of Bluecoats or Phantom, but they were probably my favorite show last night in Battle Creek. I'm guessing they'll duke it out with SCV for 6th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont really like them.... the whole idea of the old plumes, the off-center, slender white plumes, was that they make a neat line down the uniform. the plums lined up with the buttons on the hat, jacket, and the cut of the jacket. the overall effect was a tall, slender, line.

the poofy purple plumes are way too big, the proportions are all wrong. it makes them look squatty and short, and not as intimidating. not to mention there is much less contrast between corps-members and the drum major.

although i have not actually seen the drill on the field, perhaps the plumes are the right feel for what's actually happening on the field. but i'm hoping they're temporary and they go back to the off-center white in 07.

:( I still miss the purple jackets with black pants... Those were sharp.

what i love about the cream is that it's so unique. since the corps broke into the top 8 and is really trying to make a name and image for themselves, i think the cream (with the off-center plumes) makes a great statement.

As they came onto the field, the purple plumes were the first thing I notieced and wasn't sure what I thought. But by the time they were ready to start I really liked them.

I really like Crown's uniform but I did think they needed more purple to brighten them up. The plumes do that.

In this years show the plums also match the the purple of the guard uniforms perfectly. Very nice job design team! :)

what i love about the cream is that it's so unique. since the corps broke into the top 8 and is really trying to make a name and image for themselves, i think the cream (with the off-center plumes) makes a great statement.

It's unique, but it loses something on the field. The off-white cream color seems to blend together, and the corps loses definition because of this. I think it works well as a backdrop for the guard, who are often doing work with no equipment, but they lose visual effect from the corps proper unless you've got a more bird's-eye view.

I feel the same way about corps that choose to go all black, as well. Phantom has avoided that problem by having the black sash, but keeping the black gauntlets would have been better, I think, and given them even more definition.

Edited by Maedhros

I wasn't too sure about them, but once I saw them in motion on the field, they were incredible. And, it precisely because they are so bold that the eye is drawn to them. And it's kind of like the effect created by a stripe down the leg, in that with these plumes, you had better be in perfect alignement and spacing, otherwise, the plume will give you away. Their is no hiding with those bright purple plumes. I think that it was a gutsy move, and when they are spot clean, it will be incredible to see.