Bluecoats are for REAL!

Wow. I don't know how I'm missing it. I saw the Coats in Columbia, MO and while their show was well performed, I thought it was quite boring. Their drill had no gasp moments and their music had no goosebump moments. I'm just not seeing it. Like I said, they played well and marched well, it just wasn't interesting to me. What am I missing?

I dunno. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea this year.

I do understand where you're coming from: I hadn't really been crazy for the 'Coats for a long while, since about 1994 or so. It seemed to me that they abandoned the big band and big brass sound that got them into the Top 12. A lot of the shows since sounded good, but in a "these are the parts you put together to make a finalist" corps sort of way, especially with 2004.

That's not a knock on design or kids or anything else....just IMO.

This year, for the first time in a long while, I get some punch from the arrangements and the show seems to have more energy about it. I don't what changed...maybe it was me. :)

Edited by bawker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It won't happen this year, but Bluecoats will win - soon. Once they get on top they will be there for a while.

Not to give away any secrets, but mind you, this has been a topic of discussion within the corps for years. We're comin...

:beer:

What's the secret...the Bluecoats got a door on the field next year?

CAN'T WAIT!!!

I do understand where you're coming from: I hadn't really been crazy for the 'Coats for a long while, since about 1994 or so. It seemed to me that they abandoned the big band and big brass sound that got them into the Top 12. A lot of the shows since sounded good, but in a "these are the parts you put together to make a finalist" corps sort of way, especially with 2004.

This year, for the first time in a long while, I get some punch from the arrangements and the show seems to have more energy about it. I don't what changed...maybe it was me. :)

The Coats' aesthetic has certainly changed over the years -- maybe more than any top level corps. But then was the '92 Beatles show (no offense coats alums. -- that was my first bloo experience, and I loved it) really a top 5 design? Even the classic Big Band shows that gave them their identity (91 was my fav. Sing, Sing, Sing! like only Jay Dawson (?) could write it and only Bloo could blow through it!) were never designed to turn judges heads the way the shows their pumping out now are. I, for one, love the changes, though. It seems like the staff (creative and teaching) have really matured with the activity, taken it all in, and made it their own. I think maybe one of the best things I can say about the "new" Bloo is that it is a totally unique package. There are moments when I think of Wayne Downy voicing brass for BD. There are battery hits that remind me of recent Cavies shows. But when you get down to it, no one looks or sounds quite like the Coats do right now. They have developed their own style over time, and everybody seems to be noticing.

GO BLOOO!

Can't wait to see how Battle Creek goes tomorrow night (okay, tonight). Head to head one more time with Phantom (who also look and sound tremendous right now--what a hornline!)

This is exactly how I feel

...then was the '92 Beatles show (no offense coats alums. -- that was my first bloo experience, and I loved it)

So *you're* the one! :)

Just kidding. That show was a little too far out for everyone including the members so it's understandable that it's not exactly a fan favorite. But I've come to love that show and still enjoy listening to it.

Just kidding. That show was a little too far out for everyone including the members so it's understandable that it's not exactly a fan favorite. But I've come to love that show and still enjoy listening to it.

My dad liked it too, but he only recognizes the Beatles and a few random Leonard Cohen tunes. (I can't explain that, so don't ask.)

The show did have some redeeming qualities. The Strawberry Fields bit was beautiful, and I still like A Day in the Life... just cause...

I have the audio from that show and I do think the brass arrangements were great. It's like there's hidden stuff in there to listen for. Was Bruce McConnell doing the charts then?

'01 was AWESOME - my two favorite corps that year - both from Ohio...Glassmen and Bluecoats.

I agree about 2001 Bluecoats' show!! But since my daughter aged out with the Coats that year & she is on the video dancing the tango, it makes me a teensy bit bias. :beer:

I have the audio from that show and I do think the brass arrangements were great. It's like there's hidden stuff in there to listen for. Was Bruce McConnell doing the charts then?

Yeah, McConnell did the music from 92-96. We would always joke that he wrote it with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other.

<long drag, squinty Christian Slater expression> "Well, I think I'll give this to the mellophones..."