Minnesota Brass

Will the demand and performance ever increase in senior corps? I think that's what keeps a lot of very talented junior corps age-outs from continuing on in a senior corps, even though many would love to do so. I know senior corps have improved drastically over the years, and there are many talented people and talented corps involved in DCA. BUT...I think senior corps still has that "weekend warrior" tag associated with it. Demand is not equal to DCI corps (especially in reagrds to drill design and execution of drill/marching). And a lot of senior corps, especially lately, seem to feature sideline "screamers" way, way too much. I know there a few senior corps who have alumni from some great junior corps, and they can screech with the best of them...on the sideline. But I would love to see a senior corps with the demand (music books, drill), performance intensity, and vibe of a junior corps.

[snip for length]

I think you're missing the point. A lot of the things you say the All-Age corps could or should be doing are exactly the things they cannot. The whole point of All-Age corps is providing the ability to people who love to perform drum corps to be able to do so while balancing a regular life. When you're in a DCI corps, what else do you do during the summer? Pretty much nothing. But with an All-Age corps, the whole idea is that you're able to balance not only a job, but a family and other hobbies as well. All-Age corps make drumcorps a lifelong activity, and many whole families are involved. The intensity is there, and the drive for excellence. There just isn't the time. Weekend Warriors? You say that like it's a bad thing or a poor choice. It is what it is. I'd much rather do that than nothing at all.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then again...senior corps rehearse a LOT less, they run their rehearsals differently (not as strict or regimented), and the corps does not live together with each other all summer long. It's a different animal.

One thing I'd like to add to this discussion is that, speaking as someone who has done both Jr and All-Age, our rehearsals are not as strict but we are extremely efficient and personal responsibility is paramount. We don't have the opportunity to run the same segment of the show for 3 hours because many times that 3 hours is all we get to rehearse for an entire week. Again, I'm not trying to shoot you down yellowbusredux but I spent a large amount in Colts trying to disperse the false ideas people had about "Sr Corps" being drunken old people who can't march and play like crap. I'm only 27 years old but am one of the older people in our hornline this year.

But not to stray off topic....thanks for the kind words Bill and if you can make a road trip, it's always nice to meet a Colts alum.

This was a fun show to do for us. It's always interesting to get in front of a crowd that for the most part has never seen Minnesota Brass or any DCA corps for that matter. The crowd reaction at the afternoon and evening shows was phenomenal. Thanks again for all the post and feed back of the show from the reviews and here. It’s always great to hear the reaction of the fans and putting that into words is what makes me keep marching. I’m sure there are many out there involved in DCA that feel the same way. Feel free to check out a DCA show and get your drum corps fix in Rochester, New York (or any show that may be near you) before the summer ends. Thanks again! B)

Edited by Reeses0316

you obviously haven't seen Reading Buccaneers.

Last years design looked harder than some junior corps, and was executed extremely well.

~>conner

And, believe me, Jamey Thompson's drill for Empire, especially in the first couple years, gave the drills he wrote for Glassmen a run (literally and figuratively) for their money.

you obviously haven't seen Reading Buccaneers.

Last years design looked harder than some junior corps, and was executed extremely well.

~>conner

Have only seen this years show once and from ground level but WOW. Can't wait to see the reactions from Junior corps fans after the Buccs do their exhibition at Allentown. Should be an eye opener for a lot of people.

Hope yellowbusredux makes a Senior show that has some of the top notch DCA corps. I didn't watch any shows from 1993-2002 and was amazed at the difference in what as going on at the DCA level when I returned. "Weekend Warrior" is not only truth in advertising but a testimony to what can be done in a short period of time by a dedicated group of people. :blink:

As one who marched in the 2005 Buccaneers, I can assure you it was a difficult show! Others have told me that it was entertaining, so I'll take their word for it!

That said, we, like all DCA corps, have our own unique style and have, we hope, carved out a unique niche for ourselves in the DCA ranks. It doesn't surprise me in the least to read that Minnesota Brass, Inc. has wowed some DCI fans, as I've always found MBI to be imaginative, talented and quite entertaining. Our friends on the West Coast, River City Regiment, So. Cal Dream and Renegades, have been entertaining DCI audiences for many years now.

DCI fans will get another opportunity this summer to see a top DCA corps perform. The 2005 DCA World Champion Reading Buccaneers will perform in exhibition at the DCI Eastern Classic in Allentown on SATURDAY, AUGUST 5. We will open the show, so if you're curious to see what DCA has to offer, come to the show early and enjoy it! This year's production, Exotic Impressions, features Bolero by Maurice Ravel, Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy and Capriccio Espagnol and Sheherazade, both by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Check it out!!!!

Indy was the first time I'd seen MB this season. When talking with Brent in the spring and about a month ago, he said he was "happy" (I think was the word) with how things were going, but didn't seem terribly enthusiastic. No hype. Modesty? Of course, Brent is a pretty understated kind of guy.

Down here, rumors were of a smaller MB. I went to Indy with.. adjusted expectations. Wow. Talk about flying in low and dropping The Big One.

What a fantastic book. They played the crap out of it. Great sound and (as far as I can tell in a dome) clean licks. THAT'S the kind of show I'd like too see more junior corps do.

^OO^

Edited by dannyboy

Renegades appreciate all the blood, sweat and tears that MBI has put into DCA so that outsiders (those outside the North East) could come in and attempt to change the game. The performance levels of ALL DCA corps has risen leaps and bounds in the past few years and MBI has been consistent in leading the way for all of the corps out of the region. Thank you MBI..............

:blink:

Indy was the first time I'd seen MB this season. When talking with Brent in the spring and about a month ago, he said he was "happy" (I think was the word) with how things were going, but didn't seem terribly enthusiastic. No hype. Modesty? Of course, Brent is a pretty understated kind of guy.

Down here, rumors were of a smaller MB. I went to Indy with.. adjusted expectations. Wow. Talk about flying in low and dropping The Big One.

What a fantastic book. They played the crap out of it. Great sound and (as far as I can tell in a dome) clean licks. THAT'S the kind of show I'd like too see more junior corps do.

^OO^

Thanks Dan. The show is a gas to play and march. Surrounded again by loads of talent and a great bunch of people.

Hope to run into you at DCA. So when are you gonna dust off that Bari moutpiece of yours?!

MBI: I'm just guessing here, but with all your remarkable screechers, will they be added to the mallet break in "Get It On" (where the screechers take over in the original)?