Do you think popular music has a place in corps?

That's the tough part of doing a Radiohead show. There's in a way, 3 versions of Radiohead, and 2 of them could produce their own show. Crazy

Now here's the million dollar question (which happens to be a Pablo Honey b-side!): Would you permit pushing the limits of amplification for this show, given that Radiohead themselves had no qualms about eschewing traditional guitar work?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's the million dollar question (which happens to be a Pablo Honey b-side!): Would you permit pushing the limits of amplification for this show, given that Radiohead themselves had no qualms about eschewing traditional guitar work?

Thing is, I don't know if "effects" are legal under the rules...I think it's a "one strike-one note" kind of thing. It'd be interesting to see how the corps would get around that.

Yeah, that prohibits a lot of Radiohead from being used. "Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box" would still be a great drumline/pit feature, and maybe a time to reassign horns to the front ensemble, though. However, if you're gonna have a drum feature, it has to be "Idioteque." Having all/most of the brass cover the sine-wave part would be sweet.

Yes, if it can be done tastefully. But then no... I don't know how far I'd be willing to see amplification go just to perform a Radiohead show. It would again depend on what music you're using. A show based on PH, Bends, and some of OK may not require a whole lot of amping. Whereas Kid A, and Amnesiac would almost require it... It's a toughie. Either way, I can't see Thom and the boys denying the use of the music. So who knows

I don't know if anybody's familiar with the band Tindersticks, but they have a lot of absolutely amazing work that could lend itself to drum corps, at least for ballads and such. They never really get intense enough to really fill out a repertoire that demands covering all the bases.

That's the thing I like about WGI. You can play any type of music and win with it. I thnk if you listen to enough pop music, you can find diamonds in the rough. And with a little change you can easily make it into a marching song. I was listening to Beyonce's new song DeJaVu. (which happen to have some horn licks in it) And thought that i could easily see this on the field with just some harmonic progressions. Kanye West uses alot of samples from the 70's and 80', as do many other rap and r&b artist. Good music lives forever. You'd be suprised how many rap songs people hate, that came from songs from the past that they love.

I guess my point is that pop mucis can work, just like any other music, if its done right. I'm sure people had the same discussion when jazz music was beiong played alot.

Edited by ced3905

Optimal Final Fantasy VII Show:

1. Opening/Bombing Mission

2. Battle Theme

3. Main Theme

4. Aeris's Theme

5. One Winged Angel

THat leave about sixty-five worthy tracks out, though.

That would make a GREAT show.

We'll let BD take care of the funk. The dark stuff is perfect for SCV. :)

Who could play JENOVA?

Edited by G-Cym