Do you think popular music has a place in corps?

Old school Chicago before Peter Cetera went "power-ballad." :beer:

:beer: I like the later Chicago. I've heard all the old Chicago stuff done so much....why not try the later stuff

CHICAGO 17: The show! :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead is a given

My Imortal by Evenessance (sp?) would be nice too.

I've actually programed Slither by Velvet Revolver into my fantasy corps show.

Another one that surprised me on how it could work was some stuff off the Linkin Park Reanimation cd. Seriously... think for a second. A it is percussive... it has rap... Just don't use a mic... use the drunline. It drives... 7 string guitar lines = some cool low brass lines. The screaming vocals... take a guess.

One of the reasons I see that mordern popular music is not being played is.... well, IMO... I've meet a load of snooty and uptight staff/ and designers that are above using it.

One of the reasons I see that mordern popular music is not being played is.... well, IMO... I've meet a load of snooty and uptight staff/ and designers that are above using it.

Well, that's an asinine stance for them to take. A lot of modern popular music is garbage, but in my opinion, there's a lot of modern wind ensemble music that's garbage too. The fact that this wisdom prevails throughout design staffs is disappointing. I figured that in this stage of the game, more people had accepted the musical merit of this stuff.

Garbage did The World Is Not Enough.

I'm telling you, there is a veritable goldmine of Frank Zappa music waiting to be exploited. Jazz, rock, classical, electronic, everything. The Velvet Knights would've been the perfect fit for a Zappa show, obviously, as they both shared that same work ethic of "have lots of fun but you better be able to do your job well first," hailed from Orange County, and were taken from us too early.

Edited by Studio Tan

Well, that's an asinine stance for them to take. A lot of modern popular music is garbage, but in my opinion, there's a lot of modern wind ensemble music that's garbage too. The fact that this wisdom prevails throughout design staffs is disappointing. I figured that in this stage of the game, more people had accepted the musical merit of this stuff.

So true. IMO there is alot more bad wind ensemble music out there than there is good wind ensemble lit, and this is coming from someone that loves the genre.

I also dont understand why staff would turn their noses up at popular music. Alot of the wind ensemble repertoire that many of these staffs pick for parts of their show is just as trite and worthless as any "pop" music out there. Besides, some of the coolest moments I have seen in the activity have featured pop music.

the version with the soft quiet middle or the loud rock out middle?

i can see both depending on the corps...

I would program the soft version. The rock out version sounds like it was overproduced and made for radio. The other version is a beautifull song.