The way we used to eat

Remember stopping at a McDonald's or Burger King and everyone looking out the window to see the expression on the workers faces when a few buses pulled in...priceless!

That's why most people in corps got sick back then...burgers, fries and soda.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic came up in the general DCI area of this garden and I had to laugh that they seeme dto be #####ing about how the Filet was cooked right. I am exagerating, but not by much. Well, I felt the need to jump in, with the able assistance of some old timers(LancerFi comes to mind) and point out that our menu usually consisted of a dixie cup of ceral and milk for breakfast(or orange colored "stuff"), a bologna/peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and being uncermoniously dropped off at the local strip mall for dinner. Oh, and cigarettes and coffee. Oh my gawd, they thought I was lying at first(denial), than half heartedly and self conciously started in again, until I brought up the infamous Kingsmen experiences, where we were so broke that we had the bus drivers stop ata rest stop that was next to a corn filed so we could rifle through it for free food. Feed corn aint so bad when it is cooked on a grill for a half an hour, and it'l clean you right out!

The topic strangely enough died after that....hmmmm b**bs

Back on topic: I remember being dropped off at a place that was so slow, usually, that we in one two hour period, made up their entire years proceeds. Unfortunately, they were staffed accordingly. Ended up serving our own drinks, etc etc etc....I love food threads.

Here this will keep it going....."Baby Snakes....late at night is when they come out..." ^0^

When I started at Alliance in 2001, I was pretty shocked that the management had arranged such crappy food for the members: heavy fried foods, Jack In The Box tacos, and the like. Then I remembered that the director and visual caption head were ex-VK guys. We ate very well in Freelancers, and even at the time we knew it. We used to joke about it ("There are too many snow peas in my spinach salad! And you call this a vinaigrette?"), but we heard the horror stories about VK and knew we were pretty lucky. Three squares a day, usually with a snack available before lights out. PBJ and cereal were always available, but with rare exception they were supplements, not substitutes. I remember feeding Troopers one time on tour, and how grateful those guys were for some decent food.

If members today can complain about getting medium well steak when they ordered it well done, so much the better for them. There's nothing to be gained by a lousy diet. Starting in 2002 at Alliance, we managed to greatly overhaul the meals so the kids were getting the fuel they needed to work hard instead of filler to make them feel full. I don't see how any corps that cares about its members could do any less.

The biggest thing I remember about eating is:

Not much and far and few between!!! :worthy: :o

And when going to a restaurant, expecting to pay for about 1/2 of the staff and 2 or 3 members at every meal!! Hey, they had to eat too and not everyone worked or recieve money for work. :(

Nope, I never did recoup not 1 centavo, but they deserved to eat! And they were worth it! It was a small price to pay for a staff such as..... :worthy:

Well nevermind, I'm not going to pay and tell, but you know who you are!! :worthy:

Edited by LancerFi

This topic came up in the general DCI area of this garden and I had to laugh that they seeme dto be #####ing about how the Filet was cooked right. I am exagerating, but not by much. Well, I felt the need to jump in, with the able assistance of some old timers(LancerFi comes to mind) and point out that our menu usually consisted of a dixie cup of ceral and milk for breakfast(or orange colored "stuff"), a bologna/peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and being uncermoniously dropped off at the local strip mall for dinner. Oh, and cigarettes and coffee. Oh my gawd, they thought I was lying at first(denial), than half heartedly and self conciously started in again, until I brought up the infamous Kingsmen experiences, where we were so broke that we had the bus drivers stop ata rest stop that was next to a corn filed so we could rifle through it for free food. Feed corn aint so bad when it is cooked on a grill for a half an hour, and it'l clean you right out!

The topic strangely enough died after that....hmmmm b**bs

Back on topic: I remember being dropped off at a place that was so slow, usually, that we in one two hour period, made up their entire years proceeds. Unfortunately, they were staffed accordingly. Ended up serving our own drinks, etc etc etc....I love food threads.

Here this will keep it going....."Baby Snakes....late at night is when they come out..." ^0^

Now, now, Mike. How could you forget that when the schools let us use their Kitchen that Gail would make his famous Spaghetti? I also remember a long row of 6 to 8 toasters lining the hallways in the mornings for toast to go along with that one cup of cereal, one cup of milk, one cup of OJ. Thank God they were the "Big" cups. Then there were the nights that we actually got KFC! Chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Ahhhh Heaven. And not only did we get PBJ and Bologna for lunch, but Gail would make a big batch of Tuna with Mayo and add a whole can of beer to it. Heh, no wonder we did so well back then :sshh:. What was really fun was the ride through the Desert just at lunch time. When the sandwiches were served, the dry air (A/C was ALWAYS out), would suck out the moisture from the bread faster than you could eat it! Yum, crunchy bread, crunchy chips and crunchy (4 only) oreo cookies. Man, those were the days.

OK, here's a fast food story...

We descended on a lone burger king in true locust fashion. Me and Pierre were slow getting off the bus and lines were already out the door as usual. But, there were only a few cars at the drive thru. We had nothing to lose and if they kicked us out of there, we would be at the end of the line either way. So, we stood in line behind the cars. A few more cars pulled up behind us and we just walked along as the line moved forward, carrying our frisbees which doubled as dinner plates (and steering wheels in this case). When we finally got to the window, ahead of most of the corps, the look on the server's face was priceless. She yells, "they're everywhere! AAAAHHHHHH!!!" We all had a laugh and she took our order. Now they have signs at drive thrus that say no walk-ups. ^0^

Before the beginning of 1983 we were gifted with an ungodly amount of Halfsies cereal for some reason. So we had Halfsies for breakfast every day on both tours.

In 1984 it was all ham sammiches, all the time. We got so sick of them. Then in Alton, the show sponsors treated us to a sit-down lunch in a social hall or somewhere, and the lunch was...wait for it...ham sammiches. Oy. At least we got as many as we wanted.

The Knights actually did ok. We did have a food trailer and three squares a day with snacks after a show or a practice on tour. And sometimes they'd break down and buy us pizzas. Very, very rarely did we stop at a fast-food place for a meal unless it was a free day, which meant a free day for the cook staff as well. And after we clinched a spot on the records in 1988, they treated us to the steak dinner they had promised us, with all the trimmings.

Ah, memories. Light the corners of my motherf***ing mind, motherf***er...

I did practice and prelims for Canadian Nationals 1969 on one of those Kellog variety pack boxes of corn flakes. Felt like crap for the rest of the weekend.

We used to go to McDonalds, Burger King and the usual places, however on the rare occasions we went to Pondersoa Steak house and had a New York strip steak and baked potato and a conplete salad bar for only $ 6.95 !!!!

I could have eaten there every meal !!