The way we used to eat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember stopping at a McDonald's or Burger King and everyone looking out the window to see the expression on the workers faces when a few buses pulled in...priceless!

That's why most people in corps got sick back then...burgers, fries and soda.

That sounds like a page out of my early 70's high school band days after marching in a ridiculously long Mardi Gras parade. Hey, at least Whoppers were only 45 cents back then.

My brother had a good take on today's corps vs. the old school. Buses with working heat and AC, video monitors and mechanical reliability in addition to catering trucks is just plain cheating! We used to suffer through the season and a longer one at that. The winners were those that survived, practiced while broken down, went without and arrived at the show on time. Nothing was taken for granted and everything was a trial including getting food. Any food. Nothing worse than having to leave a night show right after scores only to find no local food source near or in the park. (They ran out of hot dogs just before we went on.) Skipped meals were one of the sure bets in the old days.

This is great stuff! Between tours living in the 27th corps hall in Revere, we used to collect cans out of the local parks and hand them in for money, then buy some beverages. There was the "Revere House of Grease", er, "Greece" across the street for hoagies, and when money ran out it was donuts after bingo, or, the occassional mustard sandwich!

We were fortunate to have so many local parents who cared to give us hot meals sometimes.

We called it "bug juice".

We called it "Death." Apparently up until the corp bought new coolers it was kept in copper tubs that quickly came to resemble an insect grave yard. Other wise Freelancers ate well. From 90 on we had a former circus chef.

Ken H.

This is great stuff! Between tours living in the 27th corps hall in Revere, we used to collect cans out of the local parks and hand them in for money, then buy some beverages. There was the "Revere House of Grease", er, "Greece" across the street for hoagies, and when money ran out it was donuts after bingo, or, the occassional mustard sandwich!

We were fortunate to have so many local parents who cared to give us hot meals sometimes.

FYI, Rick, The "Revere House of Grease" is now across the street, next to the old Lancer Hall parking lot. The old Lancer hall now houses a chiropractor (last time I looked) and was a Tai Kwan Do studio for a while. The House O' Grease has been joined by a Mexican restaurant and a roast beef/seafood take out place. How you guys lived in that basement is beyond me, although I've heard about a break-in into a locked closet that may have housed beverages not usually afforded by the residents that may have (ahem) eased the pain. (Rumor only)

:sshh:

bug juice - check

pb&j - check

dixie cup cereal - check

donuts - check

bologna - check

Mickie D's - check (and a stand still)

Hojo's - on occasion, check

cookies - tons of, check

First time I recall eating at a Wendy's was in Marion for US Open because we stayed across the street. I also remember someone throwing a bar-b-que for BR in Wheaton, Ill. once

Edited by Bleu Raeder

What a fun thread. I just have to laugh now when I hear complaints from the kids these days about tour food with all those big semi food trucks out in the parking lot. The only real food truck I ever remember seeing was SCVs, while the rest of us were being fed out of the back of a U-Haul.

I can remember it like it was yesterday; standing in the parking lot at Stillwater as SCV came rolling in with those 4 new Silver Eagle busses and an honest-to-God food truck. We were a relatively new corps without any history of regional or common rival corps. Quite to the contrary, most of us had grown up in the 70's traveling great distances to see and admiring all the corps with whom we now found ourselves surrounded in competitive company. That being said, it was always easy to be jealous of SCV and all their evident luxuries: new uniforms, horns, busses and that ###### food truck.

Ms. Margaret Collins and her crew did feed us very well with the U-Haul, hot plates and plenty of canned goods. Somewhere along the line she also managed to convince some governmental agency that with our non-profit youth organization status we were eligible for government rations. I don’t think she managed to get food stamps, but we did have plenty of ‘gubment cheese and peanut butter. Our standard after the show snack was a cheese ‘sammich (dry, no mayo); big hunk of cheese between two slices of white bread, choked down with water (or, if lucky, watered down Tang) in dixie cups from the igloo cooler kept on the bus. I had more cheese that summer than a Frenchman working in a government ammunition factory.

Seems to me we also had a lot of some sort of beef stew, usually followed with fruit cocktail. She was also conscientious enough to make sure we had a banana every couple of days to keep our potassium levels up. The thing I was most grateful of, even though we were a bunch of kids she still made a big pot of coffee every morning for those of us that were old enough to NEED it.

Miss Margaret fed the corps on into the 80’s, even after her daughter aged out, and earned the designation “Loaves-and-Fishes” for her ability to feed the corps well with limited resources.

Edited by mosthumbleone

I survived the summerby eating chicken salad, macaroni, and occasionally fast food.

I also loved the bleach flavored koolaid.

It wasn't that bad. We usually had at least something warm to eat, and if there wasn't enough for seconds, there was a PB&J or fluffernutter.

Kid: There's a fly in my chicken salad!

Cook: Be quiet, or they'll all want one! *gestures towards the line*