Best solos of 2006?

Form a performance standpoint and a writing standpoint, which do you think are the best solos this year? I gotta give this to the baritone solo after the Bluecoats ballad...what a player! That octave jump is just unreal, and the way he holds out and crescendos that note to fill the stadium...just wow. Honorable mention to the trumpet solo leading into Crown's ballad, just a sweet melody that comes out of nowhere.

Edit: Almost forgot! Spirit's baritone soloist! Amazing!

Edited by Hrothgar15

can i say the Contra bit in Blue Devils , I mean how many shows have had a solo Contra player

Out of the shows I've seen live.

The chick playing the Blues in the Night solo (Spirit).

amen. i saw it at battle creek and wow. for a few seconds i thought a trumpet was somewhere out on the field playing in the middle of their register, but it was her wailing away on some high notes. it's the hotness for sure.

I really liked the flugelhorn solo in Madison's ballad, Gabriel's Oboe. But it's been a while since I saw their show, so I can't even be assured that it's still in.

I saw it at the Dubuque show. It was, to me, the highlight of their show.

Edited by Millsy

I really liked the flugelhorn solo in Madison's ballad, Gabriel's Oboe. But it's been a while since I saw their show, so I can't even be assured that it's still in.

it was in as of july 7th when i saw them, and ditto i enjoyed that one very much :)

I think the contra solo in Glassmen's show is just amazing. I mean literally everyone is mesmerized by it! Props to whoever is playing it!

He had (more minor) contra solos the past two years, too-- the very last note of the opener in 2004 (the corps fades out, and the last note is just him...played up for a bit of a laugh even though it's 'serious' music), and also the phrase at the end of the drum feature in 2005. I don't think he's even 19 years old yet, so maybe there's more to come.