Its A great pleasure to have you all here today

Especially the last half of the 2000 show - incredible....

Yes. Imagine this. It's May 2004, I'm listening to what I think is a marching band over a stereo system, which is actually the very beginning portion of the Cadets 2000 show. All the sudden they stopped playing and a unified "HHHHHAYYYYEEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!" came from the crowd. I had no idea what they were getting so excited about...and then a second later I found out.

This was no marching band. I listened in pure awe for the 23 seconds that is the push in the opener of the Cadets 2000 show, AKA the push of all pushes.

That's what attracted me drum corps: a huge, glorious, awe-inspiring sound I'd never heard anywhere else, something that is unique to the activity. If, instead of the 2000 show, the 2006 show had been my first exposure to drum corps, and I walked into the room to hear "It's a great pleasure to have all of you here today!" what would I be doing right now? Not posting on DCP, that's for sure. I wouldn't know what drum corps was, frankly.

I am against all amped vocals of any kind for dozens of reasons, but this seems to be the most important to me. Drum and bugle corps is unlike any other activity in the world. How many different forms of entertainment include amplified vocal sounsd? Dozens...theater, rock and roll, popular music, movies, TV, and hundreds more. How many activities involve a huge, loud, glorious, spectacular brass sound? One, and only one: DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going off the APD.

World of craziness is right. I have never read "Alice in Wonderland," I know nothing of the story whatsoever, and I have no idea what's going on in this "tea party" scene. I go to drum corps shows to be entertained, not confused. It seemed everyone sitting by me was the latter.

Everyone sitting next to me was not confused.

I think that's one of the cool things about the show. If you aren't familiar with the show you can learn more about it and expand your knowledge. But that's just my opinion. I like things that spark my curiosity. For instance, I was not familiar with the story of Faust. After I saw Phantom's show it motivated me to learn more about it.

Edited by badmatchespartdos

I won't be seeing it - with all this going on I'm giving div 1 a miss this year and hope the fad dies out next year. I really have no enthusiasm to go to a show, last year was enough. DCA here I come.

I don't know what you're talking about. Even if you don't agree with amplification. The Blue Devils music this year is wonderful, the Cavaliers have a good show, Bluecoats are doing very well, and even Carolina Crown is looking good. Even leaving out The Cadets (which you shouldn't)-- this year should be much better then last year.

I am against all amped vocals of any kind for dozens of reasons, but this seems to be the most important to me. Drum and bugle corps is unlike any other activity in the world. How many different forms of entertainment include amplified vocal sounds? Dozens...theater, rock and roll, popular music, movies, TV, and hundreds more. How many activities involve a huge, loud, glorious, spectacular brass sound? One, and only one: DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS.

I agree with you to some extent. I don't really like voices on top of horns and drums. There are still corps that don't use amplification, in fact the majority of Drum Corps do not use amplification. So honestly, I don't see the reason why people are getting so huffy. There will always be corps that stay more traditional. I mean-- if you really can't stand amplified voice that much, just don't watch those shows.

I see bunches of people shouting out things like "I'M NEVER GOING TO A DCI SHOW EVER AGAIN!" Is one or two shows with minimal amounts of voice or singing really a good reason deprive so many corps (that stick to traditional corps ideas) of your support? I don't think it's very fair for them...

As a side note... It's been a few years since amplification was introduced, and if DCI was going to change their minds and get rid of it, they would have already done so. Is it really the corps to blame if they're just utilizing new technology-- especially technology that they hope will open up the activity to a larger audience.

As I said at the top-- I'm not really a fan of the use of amplification-- but I'm willing to keep an open mind. If it fits into the show, then I'm good. The Crossmen's radio segment is a good example of having it work. there is a lot of narration in the Crossmen's show-- but they do it, and they have fun with it-- and honestly, I had fun watching and listening to it. As I've said, and as I'll keep saying-- I think it's unfair to pass judgement on The Cadets show at this point, because I haven't really had the chance to watch their show. (I saw bits of it on the stream, but my slow Internet connection limited what I saw) I'll save my thoughts on if the narration in The Cadets show fits, or not-- but from the bits I saw, it doesn't look nearly as bad as it's been made out to seem on these forums.

I don't know what you're talking about. Even if you don't agree with amplification. The Blue Devils music this year is wonderful, the Cavaliers have a good show, Bluecoats are doing very well, and even Carolina Crown is looking good. Even leaving out The Cadets (which you shouldn't)-- this year should be much better then last year.

I just read somewhere that Devils are singing or narrating, right? Add them to Cadets, Crossmen Blue Stars - who else? Too much money to sit through too much of what I don't want to hear. I'll support the local Div 3 corps and DCA.

He came for the same reason you did, except, he offered his opinion, something tangible to the discussion.

FWIW, the drumming is superb, aggresive, outstanding and in your face...too bad its covered up by the talking .

~G~

FWIW - the talking is BETWEEN the drumming - it doesn't "cover it up" :blink:

:) The Cadets are by far my favorite corps in the world. Every single one of their shows from 1983 to 2003 is a complete masterpiece in every sense of the word, fifteen or so of which are my favorite drum corps shows ever. Their 2000 show is in my opinion the best drum corps show ever produced. Ever.

Think about it this way: if I didn't like the Cadets so much, do you think I would care that their show this year is, in my opinion, the worst drum corps show ever? Of course not. If, say, the Glassmen or Blue Knights had the same show as the Cadets this year, would I even say a single thing about it or have any feelings about the issue whatsoever? Absolutely not.

folks really into Cadets consider 2003 their weakest outing of since 1982. 2000 was a good show - mostly from a performance standpoint but other than 2006 & 2005 "Cadet geeks" are mostly into 1998 of the recent outings. 98, 05 & 06 rule the world.

oh - and deciding its the "worst drum corps show ever" off an ADP is just silly

Edited by George

I just read somewhere that Devils are singing or narrating, right? Add them to Cadets, Crossmen Blue Stars - who else? Too much money to sit through too much of what I don't want to hear. I'll support the local Div 3 corps and DCA.

"Chattering" which is unamplified (and gets to be too much by the end of it..for me)...just the "offer he can't refuse" line is amped...the one short sentence during a musical pause

"Chattering" which is unamplified (and gets to be too much by the end of it..for me)...just the "offer he can't refuse" line is amped...the one short sentence during a musical pause

So the corps I listed - is that all of them or are there more jumping on this bandwagon?

Blue Devils