Its A great pleasure to have you all here today

All you need to know for the scene to work is that they are sitting around having a Tea Party. Honestly, that's pretty much all that's going on in the story there. Alice in Wonderland is very odd, it's like the author was high as he was writing it-- the characters are supposed to be crazy.

For the record-- I haven't seen the Cadet's show this year. I plan to keep on open mind until I see the show next month, though.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you even come onto this thread to post? We already know you hate the show.

He came for the same reason you did, except, he offered his opinion, something tangible to the discussion.

FWIW, the drumming is superb, aggresive, outstanding and in your face...too bad its covered up by the talking .

~G~

Last years show had a lot of people thinking "wtf?!" as well. Don't focus on the teaparty, just watch the horn/drumline and listen to the music. By the time I stopped trying to figure out their show last year, the season was already over, and I had to watch the parts I love on dvd instead.

Edited by jetman1287

I was going off the APD.

World of craziness is right. I have never read "Alice in Wonderland," I know nothing of the story whatsoever, and I have no idea what's going on in this "tea party" scene. I go to drum corps shows to be entertained, not confused. It seemed everyone sitting by me was the latter.

Confusion is what wonderland is all about. I also go to drum corps shows to be entertained....and found tea party to be the most entertaining part of the Cadets show.

Unexpected and random things happen.

There is no logic or reason behind the characters actions.

Things are not as they appear to seem.

And of course sitting down and having a cup of tea.

Cadets recreate the Mad Tea Party and then invite everyone in the audience to join them.

I have never read "Alice in Wonderland," I know nothing of the story whatsoever, and I have no idea what's going on in this "tea party" scene. I go to drum corps shows to be entertained, not confused. It seemed everyone sitting by me was the latter.

have you seen the Godfather? or read Faust? bc i havent done either, but i can still tell whats going on...

and if you havent, does that mean BDs and PRs shows confuse you?

My view is probably not typical, but I prefer it when a corps that's doing something weird doesn't spoon-feed the interpretation through additional narration/flags with the intended meaning on them/etc. I actually enjoy it more if I have to say "what the heck was that?" Then I'm drawn into it intellectually because it's up to me to figure out what (if anything) it means to me. Leave the interpretation to the audience.

If you're gonna do weird, do it. If I can't figure it out, that's my problem. :) Have some faith that the audience will follow you and be engaged in what you're doing.

Guernica wouldn't have been nearly as effective with a caption under it.

actually, most of the speaking is on rests for the DL.

there is still playing and some subtleties going on before the big drum part, I want to try and focus on that, not the talking, I have to redirect my senses. The designers should be doing it for me.

~G~

"It's a great pleasure!"

"It's a great, great pleasure!"

"It's a great pleasure to have all of you here today."

"I thought you all might like to...sit and have some tea."

"Mumble mumble mumble OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH mumble mumble it's off with your head! Mumble mumble mumble OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

"They each have their own little thing that they like."

"ALICE GET READY FOR A MIND-BLOWING AFTERNOON!!!!!!"

"BUUUUT...where are we!?!?!?!"

"I swallowed one of these about two hours ago!"

"It's off with your head!"

"Can't somebody just tell me where we are!?"

"Do they ALWAYS have to do that!?"

Someone heard more than I did. I heard about every third word or so. Didn't matter much because I understood and enjoyed the show without instructions. :P

Three words - "Disney on Ice"

Dressed up characters on a 'stage' in costumes saying things that can't be heard except through speakers that are located 40 feet away. IMHO, it has all the immediacy and effect of the pre-recorded voices that come from the big Ernies, Beast's, etc in the pre-school geared "live" stage shows put out by Disney and any of the PBS kids shows (Barney, Sesame Street, etc).

Doesn't particularly bother me, but it also doesn't thrill me. It's just a little Goofy.... (pun intended) :P

Edited by mobrien