Its A great pleasure to have you all here today

Exactly. And what is happening is clearly illustrated in my avatar. :mellow:

<------

How is what Cadets are doing killing the activity? Who is copying The Cadets?

Also, nice touch of class with your avatar. <**>

I just can't imagine why Hopkins didn't print your thoughts in bold.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in shock that you expected Hopkins to post your thoughts on their show. Did you honestly think with the way you trash what that corps is doing, any corps director would even consider your thoughts?

For the record. . .Hopkins has a fair amount of people on his blog, in posts and mostly through added comments, that did not love every aspect of the show. The man is not above hearing constructive criticisms.

Hey. I'm stating my true feelings about the show. I could have gone ahead and said, "I didn't care for the vocal aspects, but everything else was great!" Sure, it would have been constructive, but I would be flat out lying to you. Those were my true feelings in that review...I don't see the need to provide anything but. And of course I knew he wasn't going to post it, but it was worth a shot. :P

Hey. I'm stating my true feelings about the show. I could have gone ahead and said, "I didn't care for the vocal aspects, but everything else was great!" Sure, it would have been constructive, but I would be flat out lying to you. Those were my true feelings in that review...I don't see the need to provide anything but. And of course I knew he wasn't going to post it, but it was worth a shot. :P

Sure you thought he was going to post it. You were appalled, remember?

Sure you thought he was going to post it. You were appalled, remember?

I was doubtful. I was appalled at his unprofessional, unthoughtful responses; for example:

"Remember in 1995 when the corps told a beautiful story without the use of voice and relied on their instruments, and in doing this were able to provide a purely musical program? By the way, I understood that story a lot easier than this one, and it was very tastefully done. One of the best shows of all time! I had tears in my eyes the first time I watched it on DVD, with the guard member posing with the rifle at the end...I just lost it! Hope to see more shows like this in the future. Music's main selling point, though, is that its limitations force the performers to communicate not in conventional ways but through their instruments. This is the exact reason so many fans love drum corps and the Cadets. With this years show, this limitation is gone and it's no longer 'music.' "

"When did you see the 1995 show? You would have been 6."

Edited by Hrothgar15

I was doubtful. I was appalled at his unprofessional, unthoughtful responses; for example:

"Remember in 1995 when the corps told a beautiful story without the use of voice and relied on their instruments, and in doing this were able to provide a purely musical program? By the way, I understood that story a lot easier than this one, and it was very tastefully done. One of the best shows of all time! I had tears in my eyes the first time I watched it on DVD, with the guard member posing with the rifle at the end...I just lost it! Hope to see more shows like this in the future. Music's main selling point, though, is that its limitations force the performers to communicate not in conventional ways but through their instruments. This is the exact reason so many fans love drum corps and the Cadets. With this years show, this limitation is gone and it's no longer 'music.' "

"When did you see the 1995 show? You would have been 6."

How did you expect him to respond when you are so nasty in what you say? Most people don't take those kinds of expressions seriously.

"Remember in 1995 when the corps told a beautiful story without the use of voice and relied on their instruments, and in doing this were able to provide a purely musical program?

back in 1995 the "old farts" were complaining non-stop on RAMD about "all that crap on the field" - and also about how the corps lacked a "real drill" - that all it did was mill about. That particular argument led to the RAMD net-war of winter of 95/96 and was the reason I left RAMD for some time and ended up beginning DCP.

that show - the one you loved - was so argued about and criticized it ripped apart the drum corps internet during its era.

Anyway - funny how things change. Now is "traditional" - heh. :mellow:

How did you expect him to respond when you are so nasty in what you say? Most people don't take those kinds of expressions seriously.

Sure my review of the corps may have been interpreted as nasty, but I would never even think of corresponding with a PERSON, much less the director of the greatest drum corps in the world, in any sort of harsh or nasty way. I can assure you that all of my e-mails to George Hopkins were stated kindly and professionally. If you can find something "nasty" about what I wrote in the e-mail I quoted just above...please tell me.

back in 1995 the "old farts" were complaining non-stop on RAMD about "all that crap on the field" - and also about how the corps lacked a "real drill" - that all it did was mill about. That particular argument led to the RAMD net-war of winter of 95/96 and was the reason I left RAMD for some time and ended up beginning DCP.

that show - the one you loved - was so argued about and criticized it ripped apart the drum corps internet during its era.

Anyway - funny how things change. Now is "traditional" - heh. :mellow:

George,

Any show without amplified vocals, to me, is traditional. Amplified vocals have been the only actual addition to the activity in the history of DCI, besides pit percussion, but at least that is musical (amplified voice, however, has nothing to do with music). Everything else was just an improvement of a feature already in place.