The drumline playing in Phantom's ballad has got to go

Ave Maria was perfect...until they added the stupid drumline in! Am I the only one who is confused here? It just doesn't make any sense. It's so distracting and it takes so much away from the flow and lushness of the ballad. If you have something good, why would you ever even think of changing it to make it worse (which is clearly what happened in this case)?

:(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet their score has jumped pretty significantly. Hmmmmm.

Ave Maria was perfect...until they added the stupid drumline in! Am I the only one who is confused here? It just doesn't make any sense. It's so distracting and it takes so much away from the flow and lushness of the ballad. If you have something good, why would you ever even think of changing it to make it worse (which is clearly what happened in this case)?

I like the drum parts. Sounds cool.

I'm starting to guess that you don't even like drum corps at all. Everything seems to be bad for you. PLEASE march a year somewhere, and I guarentee that your opinions will change.

Sorry, but that's one of the best parts about that show. The drumline doesn't overpower anything...it's subtle, it adds another color to the overall musical ensemble, it's different and fresh. I was very impressed with how that whole part of the show was put together. Very well done!

It's not distracting or anything. They play softly, with soft mallets. It sorta provides a nice beat. And the horns sound so luscious and amazing- that I dont care if the drums break out on a wild battery break (OK, that WOULD be a little much :P ) but I certainly don't think it takes away.

As a drummer I think drumlines are tacet too long in most shows. I'm not that fond of ballads as a result - so anything that gets the battery playing, as long as it's done tastfully and musically, I'm all for. I haven't see PR but knowing the piece I'd say there was plenty of opportunity for battery support.

I understand your frustration as a brass purist, but the battery parts blend very well. Rennick is one of the best. This line is one of the best.

If you want brass only, they'll probably have a recording of of Ave on the season review corps DVD.