'87 or '89

I pretty new to this activity (first watched it in 2004). I was wondering what DCI Legacy video to buy between 1987 and 1989? What finals are better from top to bottom?

From what I know 1987 has Cadets with App. Spring and 1989 has SCV and PR both with very well known shows. What other shows should I see between these two years?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got some good ones there. I would throw in SCV 87 for the Russian Xmas Music show. I think the first 'stage show' opening I can remember. The warmup section itself was classic.

What year was the PR romeo and juliet show? Was that 87 or 88? I liked that one also. If you get the PBS broadcast of 89 however, you can see me in an interview right after Bobby Knight and some guy from the Glassmen.

What year was the PR romeo and juliet show? Was that 87 or 88?

Must be '88 cause I think they played swan lake nutcracker suite in '87

Just get them both. Thats about as classic as it gets for 80s drum corps, and my personal favorite overall 80's years.

You won't regret it.

:wink:

I own '87 and '88, but not '89. SCV and Garfield alone make '87 worth it, but don't discount Sky Ryders' excellent production of West Side Story, which must be seen and not just heard, and VK's first Magical Mystery Tour. Oh, and Star's wacky circus show, which was certainly the height of the '80s prop craze. And and and. I could go on. Get '87.

Then get '89.

Don't forget Phantom's GORGEOUS "All White" show in 87...one of my favorites! Also, Cavies were great in 87 also! Also, the debut of Bluecoats into the Top 12 and their signature, "Autumn Leaves"...

To amplify what MikeBob said, Sky Ryders 1987 is the greatest guard I 've ever seen on a field. The writing and the equipment handling.

To amplify what MikeBob said, Sky Ryders 1987 is the greatest guard I 've ever seen on a field. The writing and the equipment handling.

It's like watching a Broadway production. That show was all about the guard, and even though I'm not a guard person, I loved it. Putting the rest of the corps in black, white, and grey simultaneously makes them an iconic symbol of conflict in the show and takes them out of the visual palette, as it were. Genius. I know the Sky show that usually gets the raves is '86, and deservedly so, but man, '87....