visual is more important than music

You buy audio CDs, right? Ask yourself a question - would you buy the DVD with no sound track?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. I'm a serious drum corps nut. I have just about everything I can afford to get my hands on, and I listen to drum corps as much as any other genre combined....

and even I don't put on drum corps when I'm trying to get to sleep! :wink:

LOSER!!!!!! :P

Actually, I listen to Phantom's ballads CD to get to sleep.

But on topic, where else can you hear an ensemble as homogenous as a brass line except maybe in a voice choir? The London Symphony for example is a great group, but how many different families of instruments do they include? And it's great for them. But there's something about that all-brass ensemble that's so....majestic. I'm listening to Phantom play Ave Maria as I type this (it's on loop :wink: ) and I would rather hear that hornline play that arrangement than any symphony orchestra in the world- that last chord could not be performed by any ensemble other than a drum corps. (OT: It's why drum corps should never, ever have woodwinds.. :wink: )

So while the visual adds depth to any show- (again look at Phantom 2006), the music is what it's there for. That's the roots of it all.

Music is what drives what? The MARCHING arts. You need music and you need movement.

I never stated that movement isn't needed. It's what makes the marching arts different than, say, an orchestra. It's just music should be the more focused because the audio medium is going to used by the customer more than the visual aspect.

Who is advocating eliminating all the music?? The music IS focused in drum corps. And so is the visual. That's what makes it part of the MARCHING ARTS.

Nobody is advocating eliminating anything.

I'd rather be doing yard work, or cooking or relaxing listening to the music than spending the same time HAVING to have to watch the show. Having to have to watch the show that takes away from the time that could be spent doing constructive.

ok, someone needs to do a completely silent show (WGI?) and see what the response is. I would seriously be interested in how strong of an impact the visual alone would be.

an approach from another angle:

the vast majority of drum corps music (again exception: percussion) is arranged rather than composed, and while I understand the compositional aspect of arranging, the brass arranger is regardless not the one coming up with the melodies or harmonies (exception: mello runs and drum corps chords). that is, the music is often exciting before the arranger touches it (though arranging is in this sense "easier," it is still extremely difficult, as evidenced by all the boring writing out there). An arranger has the entire inherited tradition of western music to draw on.

drill writing, by contrast, evolved into an art form within the activity of drum corps. no one (or very few people) has ever taken a third-person perspective on it in an attempt to maximize its potential effect. thirty years ago drill was two lines in a symmetrical form marching forward and backward. now way have things that are a lot more complex, but I would argue that drill, as a result of its newness, has not been paid nearly enough aesthetic attention. the result: impoverished, boring drill. too many shows are gerat to listen to but boring to watch. perhaps I was too reactionary in my first statement.

ok, someone needs to do a completely silent show (WGI?) and see what the response is. I would seriously be interested in how strong of an impact the visual alone would be.

IMO, unless that show was a clean as whistle and perfect that impact won't be there.

Music is what conveys the emotion. I have a hard time getting involved in the visual if there's not powerful, emotional music bringing it out.

Didn't a guard do something like this for over half their show? I seem to remember one with the theme of Marilyn Monroe - using the Elton John song Candle in the Wind. I think the first half of the show was complete silence, then the music came in for the second half. It was very amazing - mostly from the standpoint that they were clean, clean, clean, yet had no music to keep time to.

A WGI group has done a completely silent show, actually. I'm sorry that I can't provide you with the name of the group or year. My friend told me about it and she also told me they scored well and were recieved well.