DCA considering amps

I have given amps a fair trial at the DCI shows I have been to. Some corps just amplify the pit in a tasteful way which is ok but not entirely necessary, and seems way way more trouble than it's worth lugging all that stuff onto the field. As far as amplifying vocals and narration, if I wanted to hear that sort of thing, I'd watch American Idol and such (and I don't). I guess if DCA allows amps I'll be retiring from marching early. :(

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mic her bra.

^0^ Here, let me adjust that mic... It's not quite picking up the Legos.

Seems to me, that this is a flame bait thread based on gossip and no facts whatsoever. Who is "brought to our attention, who brought it and who was listening.

The congress is held in January every OTHER year (can't remember if this upcoming year is one I lost track), however, since this is the midst of a very exciting and competitive year, I'd like to think that most organizations are focusing on their current show and how to improve and tweek it.

Again, I think this is a rumor and just a chance to get the gossip flying and serves so purpose for the activity, but to those that are having a slow day and wish to get things fired up.

Slow day right here. Actually, why are we having this conversation? Plenty of crankin' about amps in the DCI Forum for everyone...

In the discusion about modifying a ruling about amping vocals, it was brought to our attention that DCA has been considering implimenting amps also. No names were given so this begs a few questions:

1) what DCA corps would you think be considering it?

2) would it be a good thing for DCA?

In this same hypothetical discussion, it was also discussed to allow Flutes, Sousaphones, Saxophones, Clarinets, and Live Animals on the field. And also, to disallow props that are greater than 12 feet in height.

The rules congress is held every other year. The next one, I believe, is in Jan 2007. I have not heard of anyone making a motion to allow amplification. That is, other than the new corps from Nevada - Desert Wind, and the small upsatart corps from NY, the Herkimer Hushpuppies. Both of those corps want to see amplication allowed in DCA. I don't know if they have the political clout to get it passed. We shall see in 2007.

Meanwhile, there are some great things happening on the field RIGHT NOW. Come check out some of the corps that are in competition in 2006!!!! There is a show this weekend in Lewisburg, PA. And none us will be using amplification.

Dave

BTW, we used amps in ES in 1985!

That is CORRECT! The ICA circuit allowed an amplified bass guitar in the pit, kind of as an experiment since so many HS bands were using them and it was felt that, with so many small corps, the contrabasses were not being heard (imagine THAT!). And though only two corps used it, I don't believe anyone else even tried it in future years. In fact, Excaliber's contra line came out with some rather unique T-shirts, if memory serves...

I'd like to think of myself as somewhat progressive but I regard amps as an experiment that has been tried and failed. "Vocalization" has other uses. Drum corps is not one of them. Let DCI continue to do it's own thing while we continue to do ours.

But perhaps there SHOULD be special dispensation for Legos, Lincoln Logs, Jenga, and other similar, uh, stuff...

BTW, the DCA Rules Congress will be held following this (2006) season.

Oh, one other thing. Rumor has it that the Herkimer Hushpuppies have huge financial backing from a major upstate New York entrepreneur and former gubernatorial candidate (been itching to use the word "gubernatorial" in one of these posts!).

Edited by K2SMA

That is CORRECT! The ICA circuit allowed an amplified bass guitar in the pit, kind of as an experiment since so many HS bands were using them and it was felt that, with so many small corps, the contrabasses were not being heard (imagine THAT!). And though only two corps used it, I don't believe anyone else even tried it in future years. In fact, Excaliber's contra line came out with some rather unique T-shirts, if memory serves...

What did the shirts say? I remember the bass player at ICA shows but not the shirts (darn).

If I remember right the bass was supposed to help corps that couldn't afford contras yet.

Can anyone remember if he played at 1985 ICA Championships at Erie? ^0^ (Insider joke, there was a monsoon over Erie during most of the show. :rock: )

I'm thinking Bridgemen are using them becuase their hornline is so loud that it's drowning out the smallish pit?

well, get more people then,.........................#### it,................I will getting a cold one or a hotdog now during their show at DCA,.....................I am sorry people, this is just plain wrong,...................and DCA should not allow it,.................IMO

What did the shirts say? I remember the bass player at ICA shows but not the shirts (darn).

If I remember right the bass was supposed to help corps that couldn't afford contras yet.

Can anyone remember if he played at 1985 ICA Championships at Erie? ^0^ (Insider joke, there was a monsoon over Erie during most of the show. :rock: )

Sorry, I don't remember the exact wording, but they WERE derogatory!

Yes, I was there. We were the ones passing around the rum-filled watermellon around to the 18 members of the audience watching the show.

...and DCA should not allow it,.................IMO

Gary, there is no rulemaking or regulatory body for alumni corps. Thus, I don't believe DCA would have (or even want to have) any recourse, other than to "un-invite" them which would be just plain silly. As for me, I plan to see them, and look forward to the opportunity.

Edited by K2SMA

i never consider the Empire Statesmen to be a DCI oriented corps. probably about as far from it as you can get IMO.

Well now, there's a slam for ya.

They (Empire) are at the same level as any 'all age' corps would be to DCI. Being that Empire is almost always in the top 3, that only makes 2 corps better than them, so who would you suggest be closer to DCI? (It better be a top2 corps.....and consistant at that)

You just can't compare the two. :rock: