DCA considering amps

All I know is that I want to see the Bridgemen! And if they need to mic the boards so they're not drowned out, so be it. It's an Alumni corps. There's no rules, just a bunch of people playing for the fun of it and without the stresses of competition. I admit that I'm not too keen on amps, but I'm mostly opposed to their use for adding narration and singing.

Scary thought: The Bridgemen are an Alumni corps, not bound by any rules. What would have happened had DCI told them they weren't bound by any rules back in their junior corps days? Or, what if the Bridgemen were to exist in this era of amped vocals and narration? With VK poised and ready to come back to the field, I'm ready for them to just take the whole amp thing to new levels of irreverency... Let there be rude bodily functions! Let there be one-liners for narration! Let them make the DCI BOD think twice about amped vocals! Let there be a George Carlin themed show!

^0^

Sing the lyrics for "Kyle's Mom" from South Park. or have a Tenacious D show...........oh the possiblities

^0^

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't you realize it is far easier to comment on something you haven't seen, than to take the time to wait, watch it and THEN comment on it?? :rock:

:lolhit:

sorry ~ the idea that the Bridgemen should be uninvited to the Alumni Spectacular for having an amp on the field is comedy at its best. there is no alumni circuit, nor rules for an alumni corps. what's next? if you don't high mark time for a portion of your show you're not welcome? :P

people will either give us a chance or be so stuck in their ways that no matter what it is we do out there, it won't matter. if it is the latter, it is their loss IMO. :)

Excellent points , Liz. Worth repeating.

So... "I know someone who knows someone who knows something..."

I :rock: rumors!

Okay, okay, guilty as charged. I fell for the "I know someone who knows someone who knows something..." line. The person in question certainly made it sound like she was "in the know". Should her credibility now be questioned?

"Really? Did you see/hear/enjoy the Cavaliers' James Bond show? Was the finger snapping on counts 2 & 4 in the pit amplified? Did you hear it? Did you enjoy it? Was it really cool?"

Quote function wasn't working for me for some reason. Anyways.............

Ok...you got me. That was cool. But not so cool I couldn't stand myself....not so cool that I didn't need you to remind me that it even happened. What I do remember was that Soprano line. clean clean clean.

I'm not going to the hotdog stand during Bayonne's performance like my esteemed friend from Erie Gary might...............probably won't boo either. But don't be surprised when purists voice their dismay with the decision to AMP anything on the field. There are a lot of things in life you don't do even though their aren't RULES against it. This may be one of them. We'll have to wait and see.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Let them make the DCI BOD think twice about amped vocals! Let there be a George Carlin themed show!

YES!! This is SO asking to happen!

Good evening ladies n germs, a funny thing happened on the way to the stadium...

Didn't Bridgemen do the unknown comic one year? (The guy with the bag over his head) Maybe it's time for the Gong Show revisited.

The seven words you can't say in drum corps might be fun.

Or some super raw Zappa - Don't get no #### upon that sofa sofa... Make it go fast... in and out.... til it #######.. #######.. #######.. #######, doo d'doo doo doo FIRE!

That would make a great drum corps tune even without the words!

Keep pushing the envelope and see how long it takes for the amp rule to burst. b**bs

Sing the lyrics for "Kyle's Mom" from South Park. or have a Tenacious D show...........oh the possiblities

^0^

Here's an oft-mentioned show theme that could really benefit from amped vocals and narration...

The Masterbation Suite

Too Much Time on my Hands - Styx

I Touch Myself - Divinyls

Beat It - Michael Jackson

Meat - Phish

^0^

To bring the discussion over from a thread that wasn't about amps...

168661445.jpg

I wouldn't dare say anything like that to their faces, though...

I can understand why the Bridgemen used the amp. Two vibes vs. how many brass and percussion on field? :o

It's not the juniors where there is at least 2 to 3 of each keyboard, 2 set of tymps with some corps and umpteen types of cymbals and niknaks. That sound would carry well over a full horn line and battery.

Edited by sburstall

i never consider the Empire Statesmen to be a DCI oriented corps. probably about as far from it as you can get IMO.

Yeah. What she said - unless someday a drum corps that actually makes an effort to be entertaining joins DCI again (ala Bridgemen or VK).

BTW, I'm marching with a corps that is doing an electronic rock tune, but without using amplification or electronics. Now what is more of a challenge? Making acoustic instruments SOUND electronic or just caving in and using the actual electronics and amplification?

Edited by SaraNYC

Keep pushing the envelope and see how long it takes for the amp rule to burst. b**bs

...or, watch as a few of the creative minds psuedo-intellectually ape other concepts, declare it art of the highest order, and turn DCI into a traveling side-show that can only be appreciated with a music degree.

I'm only joking, of course. ^0^